Great discount for Veterans

scubacruiserx2

23 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We met our TA and her family for a home cooked  Cuban dinner last night . The big buzz at the private academy where she teaches and her sons attend is that The Piano Man was considering sending his 2 young daughters to school there .

She has booked our cruise and both I and my DW will each receive the 10 % discount . I think that in my own simple way of thinking that 10% + 10% should equal 20 % . But to quote the Teen Talk Barbie of the early nineties ,  Math class is tough . 😊🙂

You each get the 10%, but it’s on the basic cost of the cabin.  If you’re paying $1000 each, you each get $100 off - $200.  The total fare for the cabin is $2000.  You get $200.  It’s the same.  Nobody gets 20%.

7 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

You each get the 10%, but it’s on the basic cost of the cabin.  If you’re paying $1000 each, you each get $100 off - $200.  The total fare for the cabin is $2000.  You get $200.  It’s the same.  Nobody gets 20%.

We had hoped for the 20 but we're still thrilled with the 10 .

23 hours ago, Russiamomm said:

It’s a great benefit.  We’ve used it several times.  But it is only 10%, which I think is rather generous.

Yes it is .  Another great thing was that we didn't know about it when we booked our cruise for Iceland and Norway in May of 2024 . Our final payment is in January but NCL did give us the discount because we haven't made the final payment yet .  And the third great thing is that we're now in the system so we don't have to do it again for any future cruises . 

• Like 1

I was so glad when NCL reinstated the MAP.  We used it extensively before they discontinued it around 2010.  It is a tremendous deal, Princess only offers $100 OBC, CCL has a 10%discount but only to active duty military (they used to give it to all veterans).   Now, if we could get them to reinstate the AARP discount, too 🤣

23 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Yes it is .  Another great thing was that we didn't know about it when we booked our cruise for Iceland and Norway in May of 2024 . Our final payment is in January but NCL did give us the discount because we haven't made the final payment yet .  And the third great thing is that we're now in the system so we don't have to do it again for any future cruises . 

As I mentioned in my thread on the vet discount, I found that the standard is to cut off issuing the discount after final payment. But, if you persistently ask, they will allow it. I just got the credit yesterday, at 105 days out, already fully paid. There is a point close to sail date (I don't know when that is) when it will be totally denied. Apparently, it takes a supervisor override for NCL customer service to process it. Also, if your part of a "group" (I am as a TA grouping) the TA has to tell NCL that it's okay to process the credit.

10 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

I was so glad when NCL reinstated the MAP.  We used it extensively before they discontinued it around 2010.  It is a tremendous deal, Princess only offers $100 OBC, CCL has a 10%discount but only to active duty military (they used to give it to all veterans).   Now, if we could get them to reinstate the AARP discount, too 🤣

We totally agree . There are a lot of AARP members and that might generate more cruises and cruisers to NCL . Everybody loves a little perk .

9 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We totally agree . There are a lot of AARP members and that might generate more cruises and cruisers to NCL . Everybody loves a little perk .

Just because someone had served, does not mean they are AARP eligible. Although I have been for a lot of years now, LOL.

I don't know why NCL is willing to stretch their own rules. Could be an age related thing. Or maybe it's an extension of having military service itself an not being so "nasty" in applying the rules.

30 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Just because someone had served, does not mean they are AARP eligible. Although I have been for a lot of years now, LOL.

I don't know why NCL is willing to stretch their own rules. Could be an age related thing. Or maybe it's an extension of having military service itself an not being so "nasty" in applying the rules.

what rule are they stretching?  AARP has nothing to do with military service

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbrown84 said:

what rule are they stretching?  AARP has nothing to do with military service

I only mentioned AARP because of the post I responded to - scubacruiserz2 made that association.

The rule refers to NCL not applying the military discount to a previously booked cruise when it is past the full payment date. That is their standard policy. But they have made exceptions - as I pointed out in my post #31 above.

20 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

I only mentioned AARP because of the post I responded to - scubacruiserz2 made that association.

The rule refers to NCL not applying the military discount to a previously booked cruise when it is past the full payment date. That is their standard policy. But they have made exceptions - as I pointed out in my post #31 above.

ahhh, got it.  sorry

On 10/1/2023 at 12:31 PM, MagnoliaBlossom said:

It's been since 2006 when we took our first Baltic cruise on the NCL Dream to the Baltic and first South American cruise to the Glacier Alley in 2007 ( also on the Dream  ) .

We don't know if NCL had the MAP discount back then , maybe you know .  We would also like to thank you for letting us all know about the AARP discount @MagnoliaBlossom 

The only discount that we had used before was a on a Heroes Cruise on the MSC Melody back in Spring of 2002 . Police and Firefighters were given a great discount post 9-11 .

I was a Firefighter / Paramedic for Miami Dade Fire Rescue for 28 +  years and had just completed my shift when we saw the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center on TV live . I worked as a Paramedic on the ALS transport unit from the Port of Miami so anyone sick or injured from mostly Carnival , NCL and Royal Caribbean were treated and / or transported by my unit to the most appropriate medical facility for definitive care . So we went on many cruise ships , but just didn't get to sail on them all . 😎

Edited by scubacruiserx2

4 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

It's been since 2006 when we took our first Baltic cruise on the NCL Dream to the Baltic and first South American cruise to the Glacier Alley in 2007 ( also on the Dream  ) .

We don't know if NCL had the MAP discount back then , maybe you know .  We also thank you for letting us all know about the AARP discount @MagnoliaBlossom 

The only discount that we had used before was a on a Heroes Cruise on the MSC Melody back in Spring of 2002 . Police and Firefighters we given a great discount post 9-11 .

I was a Firefighter / Paramedic for Miami Dade Fire Rescue for 28 +  years and had just completed my shift when we saw the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center on TV live . I worked as a Paramedic on the ALS transport unit from the Port of Miami so anyone sick or injured from mostly Carnival , NCL and Royal Caribbean were treated and / or transported by my unit to the most appropriate medical facility for definitive care . So we went on many cruise ships , but just didn't get to sail on them all . 😎

I'm don't know that there is an AARP discount. I think the poster on that item was speculating that it might draw business for NCL to have one.

• 5 months later...
On 9/28/2023 at 5:14 PM, dbrown84 said:

And this discount does stack with others you may have, for example the Caesars discount 

Bringing this back because I didn't want to start a new thread:

so if CAS offers 10% for play for me,  and NCL offers 10% for my cabin mate who is military, those could be combined? 

6 minutes ago, Alegeeter said:

Bringing this back because I didn't want to start a new thread:

so if CAS offers 10% for play for me,  and NCL offers 10% for my cabin mate who is military, those could be combined? 

I'm not 100% sure about this situation because the discounts are with two different people.  If you were the veteran and had the CAS discount, they would definitely stack

• Like 1