Great discount for Veterans

scubacruiserx2

It's been a number of year since we cruised with NCL . 9 of our last 10 cruises have been with HAL where they gave us a  $100 onboard credit per room . It must be used during the cruise for something on the cruise or be lost .

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/deals/military-appreciation-offer.html

A friend of ours told us about the NCL Military Appreciation Program . It is a 10% Discount  per person !  So on the cruise that we booked , the rate would be discounted $ 300 for the lowest stateroom . Or $ 4185 if we booked the Garden Villa ( which we can't afford ) . 

https://www.ncl.com/military

Well , we contacted NCL and they lowered our price by 20 % !  And there are other perks also . So thank you very much  NCL !

🙂😊

• Like 3

5 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Seriously? 20%??

My last two cruises, my Veteran's discount was less than 10%. I know it's supposed to be 10% of the base fare, but it never turns out that way. They have sort of goofy formula that I can't figure out.

We're sorry to hear that your experience differs from ours so far . Our reservation receipt from our TA  reflects the changes made since our enrollment . Here's a couple of questions answered from the NCL link .

NCL Military Appreciation Program FAQs

• Like 1

We’ve used the discount several times.  It’s always been a straight 10% off the cost of the stateroom, even though both my husband and I qualify.  It’s a great deal, but I’m not sure how the OP got 20%.  I’d love that, but honestly I think it’s per stateroom.  I think you got lucky!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Well , we contacted NCL and they lowered our price by 20 % !  And there are other perks also . So thank you very much  NCL !

Wow, that is a great deal. So you received the 10% military appreciation discount + additional 20% and all the FAS perks. Is it a last-minute cruise, maybe without disclosing too much can you give us more details like cabin category, length of cruise.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

We’ve used the discount several times.  It’s always been a straight 10% off the cost of the stateroom, even though both my husband and I qualify.

Same here, only received the 10% MAP discount. I always book direct on NCL website.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Seriously? 20%??

My last two cruises, my Veteran's discount was less than 10%. I know it's supposed to be 10% of the base fare, but it never turns out that way. They have sort of goofy formula that I can't figure out.

I’ve never had that issue.  It’s always been a straight 10% off of the cruise fare.  There is no discount on the port fees and taxes or FAS gratuities.  The math has always worked out to the penny for us.

Just now, destar said:

Same here, only received the 10% MAP discount. I always book direct on NCL website.

Same.  We book through CAS and the math has always been the same.  10% off the cruise fare (or what we’re paying for an upgrade if it’s a comped cabin.)  It’s a

great perk. 

55 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

Same.  We book through CAS and the math has always been the same.  10% off the cruise fare (or what we’re paying for an upgrade if it’s a comped cabin.)  It’s a

great perk. 

you also get 10% off on the admin fee if booking a comp thru CAS.  So, it becomes $18 per day/per person

3 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

you also get 10% off on the admin fee if booking a comp thru CAS.  So, it becomes $18 per day/per person

Never noticed that, but Thanks!  Maybe because we never stay in the inside and always upgrade.  😂

Edited by Russiamomm

Apparently I've been calculating the discount incorrectly. My impression was that if my wife and I were cruising together, we would get 10% off for both of us (since the wording on NCL says, veterans and spouses.) It looks like I've been the only one getting it...which accounts for why we never received 10% off for two.

27 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Apparently I've been calculating the discount incorrectly. My impression was that if my wife and I were cruising together, we would get 10% off for both of us (since the wording on NCL says, veterans and spouses.) It looks like I've been the only one getting it...which accounts for why we never received 10% off for two.

I’m not sure I follow.  The discount is applied to the base fare for the cabin - regardless how many are in it.  I’ve gotten the discount when traveling with my husband, with a friend and when going solo.  The discount is always 10% off the base fare of the cabin. 

• Like 1

My

1 minute ago, Russiamomm said:

I’m not sure I follow.  The discount is applied to the base fare for the cabin - regardless how many are in it.  I’ve gotten the discount when traveling with my husband, with a friend and when going solo.  The discount is always 10% off the base fare of the cabin. 

My point was I've never gotten 10% of the base fare of the cabin. For example, if the base fare of the cabin is $5000, the discount should be $500...correct? That's never happened in our last couple of cruises. It's always been much less than that...which led me to believe that they were only allowing a discount for MY share of the cabin price...since fares are per person.

1 minute ago, schmoopie17 said:

My

My point was I've never gotten 10% of the base fare of the cabin. For example, if the base fare of the cabin is $5000, the discount should be $500...correct? That's never happened in our last couple of cruises. It's always been much less than that...which led me to believe that they were only allowing a discount for MY share of the cabin price...since fares are per person.

If it was less than 10% I’d ask NCL how they calculated it.  It’s always worked out to the penny for us. You also have to be sure you’re comparing apples to apples and using the fare as published on the day you booked.  As we all know, cruise fares fluctuate day to day. 

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

My

Just to be sure - do not include taxes and port charges in your 10%.

3 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

My

I can do a mock booking on NCL when I am signed in and right before you pay it shows you the total 10% off.  I think you are including taxes and port fees maybe?  If the cruise is $499 each plus taxes and port charges, your 10% would be taken off of the $499 for each of you making your discount a total of $98.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

16 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I just did a comparison using a mock booking without being logged in, and then logging into my NCL account to get the pricing with the Military Appreciation discount applied.

image.thumb.png.6012c6ed8fec2889ba26765513e3d8fd.png

That's exactly 10% of the cruise fare (ex additional charges).

AMAZING!

Also, one would have to exclude prepaid DSC, shore excursions and FAS gratuities, if applicable.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sunshine55 said:

Sailed this month first time with Military discount and enjoyed the Military event they had on ship.  Was impressed.

I ( we ) have not been to any of these events on HAL  but we may try it this trip based on your good experience . We are meeting our TA for dinner in about an hour and hope to resolve the apparent 10/20 % discount question tonight .

Edited by scubacruiserx2

42 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

I ( we ) have not been to any of these events on HAL  but we may try it this trip based on your good experience . We are meeting our TA for dinner in about an hour and hope to resolve the apparent 10/20 % discount question tonight .

I just completed the process with NCL today.

The discount is 10% of the base for for the vet's cabin - including all passengers.

• Like 1

We met our TA and her family for a home cooked  Cuban dinner last night . The big buzz at the private academy where she teaches and her sons attend is that The Piano Man was considering sending his 2 young daughters to school there .

She has booked our cruise and both I and my DW will each receive the 10 % discount . I think that in my own simple way of thinking that 10% + 10% should equal 20 % . But to quote the Teen Talk Barbie of the early nineties ,  Math class is tough . 😊🙂

Edited by scubacruiserx2
  • Haha 2