Don't eat a lot..but love specialty dining

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

So if a person has a small appetite or is watching their food intake they should go to the buffet?   Your statement makes no sense.

Yeah, that's exactly what I said...word for word.

SMH 

Just now, LilBlackDress said:

I have taken leftovers from the MDR and Specialty Restaurants to have later that night. Some foods I don't mind eating cold or at room temperature, 

I met a couple at Izumi and they told us about her friend who brings Tupperware on the cruise with her for her leftovers and then uses the blow dryer to heat up the food... I haven't done it, don't think I would but I guess it is an option 

I’ve never heard of the blow dryer thing. 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1

Chops offer a small steak and our waiter gave us one baked potatoe between two of us.

Skip the bread, it's a big filler

You can always skip the pasta course in the Italian restaurant and the soup/salad course in Chops, my husband always does.

Last week in Chops the couple at the table next to us got their desert 'to go'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

Chops offer a small steak and our waiter gave us one baked potatoe between two of us.

Skip the bread, it's a big filler

You can always skip the pasta course in the Italian restaurant and the soup/salad course in Chops, my husband always does.

Last week in Chops the couple at the table next to us got their desert 'to go'.

They will do 1/2 order of the pasta dishes  

• Like 2

On 9/28/2023 at 9:08 PM, motheroftwocats814 said:

I don't eat a lot after losing a lot of weight.

Our last cruise the waiter in the MDR finally got used to me not finishing dinner after about three days.

I had to convince him that the food was good, I just can't eat a lot.

We are doing a couple of specialty dining venues and Chef's Table.

I am a little worried that it might be a waste of money.

Hello OP,

I understand your post. I also lost weight and do not eat as much as I used to eat. I have sailed 3 times since then and have 2 more scheduled. For my first two cruises after losing weight, I also wondered about eating during the cruise and not wanting to be wasteful. Like you, I asked the MDR staff for smaller portions, but meals were served at portions that seemed regular which was too much for me. I talked with the wait staff each evening that I was in the MDR about it, and they helped reduce my concern about being wasteful, even though I would not eat all that was served. Sometimes portions were offered smaller, but at times, that depened on what the entre was. Those first two cruises were solo. In some ways that made food situations easier.  I chose not to purchase specialty dining on those first two cruises post-weight loss. They were also during the cruise restart which made things easier too. 

My third cruise after losing weight was NOT solo and we did book some specialty dining restaurants. This time, I let the MDR waiter know that I eat smaller portions for medical reasons. When the food was served, I ate what I wanted, and left what was remaining. I did not feel concerned about it as that was my new norm at that point.

Regarding wasteful from a money standpoint when it came to specialty dining restaurants, I had some thoughts about that since specialty dining is an additional cost, but I knew that when I purchased it, so I was able to not let that get to me too much. I had accepted that I paid for something and will not eat all of it. I paid for it because I wanted to enjoy the experience. To me, having a good experience does not mean that i have to eat a lot of something thats good. So, I took care of the money concern mentally before getting on the ship. plus, I value my weight loss which helps my health, so I am not critical of myself when there is food leftover. I do care about food waste in a large scheme of things, but I also care about my health. I ask for smaller portions. If that is honored, great. If not, I don't hold myself responsible for that. The waiters are kind which also helps me feel more comfortable. 

I'm not sure how long it's been since you lost your weight. For me it's been 2.5 years at this point. Smaller portions is my new norm. If you are newer to eating smaller portions or cruising post your weight loss, I understand your concern or question. Just wanted to share about my experience of how i became more comfortable over time and my concern reduced over time. Perhaps yours will as well. 

Also, my next two cruises have folks joining me that may help reduce any potential food waste for anything I don't eat, lol. 

Enjoy your cruises. Hopefully with less concern as time goes on. Take care, and congrats to you. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, blueslily said:

Hello OP,

I understand your post. I also lost weight and do not eat as much as I used to eat. I have sailed 3 times since then and have 2 more scheduled. For my first two cruises after losing weight, I also wondered about eating during the cruise and not wanting to be wasteful. Like you, I asked the MDR staff for smaller portions, but meals were served at portions that seemed regular which was too much for me. I talked with the wait staff each evening that I was in the MDR about it, and they helped reduce my concern about being wasteful, even though I would not eat all that was served. Sometimes portions were offered smaller, but at times, that depened on what the entre was. Those first two cruises were solo. In some ways that made food situations easier.  I chose not to purchase specialty dining on those first two cruises post-weight loss. They were also during the cruise restart which made things easier too. 

My third cruise after losing weight was NOT solo and we did book some specialty dining restaurants. This time, I let the MDR waiter know that I eat smaller portions for medical reasons. When the food was served, I ate what I wanted, and left what was remaining. I did not feel concerned about it as that was my new norm at that point.

Regarding wasteful from a money standpoint when it came to specialty dining restaurants, I had some thoughts about that since specialty dining is an additional cost, but I knew that when I purchased it, so I was able to not let that get to me too much. I had accepted that I paid for something and will not eat all of it. I paid for it because I wanted to enjoy the experience. To me, having a good experience does not mean that i have to eat a lot of something thats good. So, I took care of the money concern mentally before getting on the ship. plus, I value my weight loss which helps my health, so I am not critical of myself when there is food leftover. I do care about food waste in a large scheme of things, but I also care about my health. I ask for smaller portions. If that is honored, great. If not, I don't hold myself responsible for that. The waiters are kind which also helps me feel more comfortable. 

I'm not sure how long it's been since you lost your weight. For me it's been 2.5 years at this point. Smaller portions is my new norm. If you are newer to eating smaller portions or cruising post your weight loss, I understand your concern or question. Just wanted to share about my experience of how i became more comfortable over time and my concern reduced over time. Perhaps yours will as well. 

Also, my next two cruises have folks joining me that may help reduce any potential food waste for anything I don't eat, lol. 

Enjoy your cruises. Hopefully with less concern as time goes on. Take care, and congrats to you. 

Thank you so much for your input. Our last cruise in October 2022,I spent the first three nights in the MDR convincing the waiter that I just couldn't finish, it had nothing to do with the food not being good. After night four he said "I know Miss, you don't eat much" with a big smile. This time around, I am going to try and be less stressed about. Congrats on your weight loss success. 

• Like 1