Don't eat a lot..but love specialty dining

I don't eat a lot after losing a lot of weight.

Our last cruise the waiter in the MDR finally got used to me not finishing dinner after about three days.

I had to convince him that the food was good, I just can't eat a lot.

We are doing a couple of specialty dining venues and Chef's Table.

I am a little worried that it might be a waste of money.

3 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Personably I think you are going to be wasting a lot of food based on your post. Also a waste of money like you said, but I assume that isn’t an issue for you. 

How would eating at a specialty restaurant be any different than eating in the MDR? If a person doesn't eat a lot they shouldn't eat in the MDR or at a specialty restaurant? Your statement makes no sense.Just ask for smaller portions if you can but certainly don't stuff yourself if you can't finish.

Edited by rrraydon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rrraydon said:

How would eating at a specialty restaurant be any different than eating in the MDR? If a person doesn't eat a lot they shouldn't eat in the MDR or at a specialty restaurant? Your statement makes no sense.Just ask for smaller portions if you can but certainly don't stuff yourself if you can't finish.

The portions at speciality restaurants are significantly larger than in the MDR, which will likely lead to more leftovers based on the OPs post. Based on your comment I assume you don’t eat in specialty restaurants very often (nothing wrong with that). 

• Like 1

As I get older I don't eat as much as I used to. The pass several cruise we found we were leaving a lot of food uneaten. Have tried to ask the waiters for smaller portions, to no avail. We didn't eat in any specialty restaurants last cruise because we found the food very good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, motheroftwocats814 said:

Our last cruise the waiter in the MDR finally got used to me not finishing dinner after about three days.

We keep telling specialty restaurant managers the same. If they offered a price for a limited menu we would eat there every night. That having been said, go enjoy the experience and your meal. Eat what you care to and see how it goes. Enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 2

I’m a foodie but not a huge eater…those things are not mutually exclusive.

I got the UDP for my cruise this week. I love to taste many different things, and I also don’t like to “waste” my calories on something if I don’t love it.

For land based restaurants, I’ll usually eat 1/2 a main course and take the other half home for another meal. I obviously can’t do that on the ship.  

So if the portions are huge I’ll definitely be wasting food, but also definitely enjoying it!

• Like 4

Do what pleases you and dont worry about anyone else . 

Its your money , spend it how you like .

Perhaps, have a private discussion with the waiter upon arrival so everyone is on the same page.

Enjoy your cruise ! 🙂

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

I got the UDP for my cruise this week. I love to taste many different things, and I also don’t like to “waste” my calories on something if I don’t love it.

For land based restaurants, I’ll usually eat 1/2 a main course and take the other half home for another meal. I obviously can’t do that on the ship.  

So if the portions are huge I’ll definitely be wasting food, but also definitely enjoying it!

Waiters always assume I am a big eater even though my wife weighs a hundred pounds less she eats way more than me . I normally ask for the smallest steak or a small order of lasagna etc . Wife works out hours each week , I don’t.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, George C said:

Waiters always assume I am a big eater even though my wife weighs a hundred pounds less she eats way more than me . I normally ask for the smallest steak or a small order of lasagna etc . Wife works out hours each week , I don’t.

Right, you can’t always tell by looking at someone how much they eat! In my youth I was a dancer and I could eat anyone under a table.

Toady, I love land restaurants where you can get a 6 oz steak!  DH used to have such a fantastic metabolism that he was like your wife—its failing him now this year and so he’s starting to have to deal with that—I guess I can’t give him the extra left on my plate anymore!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, loman said:

Do what pleases you and dont worry about anyone else . 

Its your money , spend it how you like .

Perhaps, have a private discussion with the waiter upon arrival so everyone is on the same page.

Enjoy your cruise ! 🙂

Thank you @loman!  And I think I’ll do that; if a smaller steak or portion is available for anything, that would be nice!

14 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Personably I think you are going to be wasting a lot of food based on your post. Also a waste of money like you said, but I assume that isn’t an issue for you. 

Well, as I’ve been saying, its not a waste for me if I’m enjoying the different flavors. As for money not being an issue, well for me personally (I can’t speak for the OP) would I be staying in an interior if that was the case? I just like value for my money, which I get from enjoying the food.

Edited by TravelBluebird

15 hours ago, motheroftwocats814 said:

I totally get what you're saying. I would love to eat at speciality restaurants more often but our appetites mean we usually can't even finish one starter, main course and dessert each. And then we look at someone at the next table downing more than twice what we're eating and you can't help but think, "We're paying the same as them, but they're getting so much more value for their money".

I really wish there was an a la carte option for all of the speciality restaurants like there is for Izumi; that would definitely entice us to eat there more often.

However, I think what really matters is how much an optional extra will enhance your cruise.This is my case with internet. It's a lot of money and it's definitely not worth the price if you look at it from a purely monetary point of view, but the one time I tried going without, I really missed having it. So to me, even though it's not worth it, it actually is worth it, if you see what I mean.

It sounds like that might apply to you with your dining options. If it's within your budget and you feel it's going to enhance your cruise experience then it's not really a waste of money to my mind.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

No. When paying for specialty restaurants most people think they should eat it all.

I believe you but I don't get it. You are paying for the food in the MDR, WJ, Solarium....Why would you eat just to finish the plate, especially on a cruise.

You can always get more food later somewhere else rather than feeling like you are going to bust. Whatever floats your boat is cool with me but I don't get it.

I agree it'd be disappointing to pay the rather high prices for specialty dining, then not be able to eat "enough" to feel you've had your money's worth.  Thoughts: 

- Have you considered having lunch instead of dinner in the specialty restaurants?  This option isn't available every day, but it comes with smaller prices.  

- Is it possible to have a single specialty restaurant meal delivered to your room?  You could split it on the balcony.  

- Consider skipping the bread basket so you can save your smaller appetite for "the good stuff". 

- Ask for your dessert "to go".  

- I don't see ordering the smaller steak as a reasonable compromise.  I know, less waste, but you'd still be paying the same price as the larger meal.  

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 11:24 PM, TravelBluebird said:

I have taken leftovers from the MDR and Specialty Restaurants to have later that night. Some foods I don't mind eating cold or at room temperature, 

I met a couple at Izumi and they told us about her friend who brings Tupperware on the cruise with her for her leftovers and then uses the blow dryer to heat up the food... I haven't done it, don't think I would but I guess it is an option 

Edited by LilBlackDress
  • Haha 5

On 9/28/2023 at 9:20 PM, rrraydon said:

If a person doesn't eat a lot they shouldn't eat in the MDR or at a specialty restaurant? 

So if a person has a small appetite or is watching their food intake they should go to the buffet?   Your statement makes no sense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1