North European MSC Euribia cruise - how cold will this be and other queries

sunshinewelly

me and my wife are looking at taking our first cruise and are looking at this for November. However due to the weather we are having cold feet.  For example we enjoy swimming - is that going to be possible in the pools. Can you walk on the upper decks in November or will it be too cold. My wife likes the spa and i see there is access to the thermal spa - how much would a weeks access be ? which restaurants are included on the full board basis - is it just the buffet restaurant. if i buy the premium drinks package then are most drinks included. Is there any point in a balcony room during November?

I can't answer many of your questions, but I am booked on a Euribia sailing in March and the pricing shown for the spa is $110/pp for the week.  If it's anything like the Seaview, my family enjoyed it.

I would imagine there isn't going to be much for outdoor swimming. Most ships have a jungle pool that is more enclosed, but I'm not sure about Northern Europe sailings.  Most of the destinations show daytime highs somewhere in the mid-high 40's, so sitting on a balcony would be chilly unless you're wrapped up.

We're sailing on 24th November, I believe the spa package was £82pp but the app isn't working right now...

MDR is also included alongside the buffet.

There is an indoor pool but I'm guessing it will be rather busy due to the weather.

Re drinks, search out @maehara thread where all of the menus are posted. Pretty much all drinks are included on the package.

We were on the MSC Preziosa last week from Hamburg to Scotland and Ireland. The Solarium Pool on Deck 14 area under the Magradome was quite busy with passengers swimming and using the hot tubs. The MSC Euribia has a similar layout on Deck 15 so temperature should not be a problem.

• Thanks 1

I did the sailing out of Southampton last early March on Virtuosa.  I loved it so much I booked the February on Euribia with the same itinerary.  The ship was not crowded and there is something fun about sitting in a hot tub during snow on a ship while they do their Polar Bear celebration thing...  Also, Euro's are crazy and were jumping in the pool at 40 degree Fehrenheit weather.  Night-time will be quite frigid especially with winds, but I found it quite refreshing when stepping outside for a smoke.  As far as rooms, this will be a preference, I chose to skimp out and just get a YC Interior as the balcony did not appease me given the season.  Give it a chance!

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 8:10 PM, sunshinewelly said:

For example we enjoy swimming - is that going to be possible in the pools.

Everything is open, people use it. If it possible for you, I don´t know, for me it is not really possible 😄

Can you walk on the upper decks in November or will it be too cold.

In November it is hard to say, we were lucky with the weather most if the cruise and the open deck was ok.

My wife likes the spa and i see there is access to the thermal spa - how much would a weeks access be ?

Should be around 80 Euro and is worth it. Two day passes already more expensive. If you are unlucky with the weather it is great. If you want it, you need to buy it in advance. On the ship it is much more expensive or not available at all.

Is there any point in a balcony room during November?

Again this depends on your luck with the weather. 

We're booked on Euribia in December. It will be COLD and we're from Florida so it will be quite the change. But wow, what a great itinerary.

One question I have for those that have done this sailing previously. Each port has a listed arrival time but how long after that time are you allowed to disembark? I'm booking trains and want to make sure they depart sufficiently late enough to account for getting off the ship. Since most of the ports are within the EU, I didn't know if disembarkation is more-or-less immediate.

1 hour ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

We're booked on Euribia in December. It will be COLD and we're from Florida so it will be quite the change. But wow, what a great itinerary.

One question I have for those that have done this sailing previously. Each port has a listed arrival time but how long after that time are you allowed to disembark? I'm booking trains and want to make sure they depart sufficiently late enough to account for getting off the ship. Since most of the ports are within the EU, I didn't know if disembarkation is more-or-less immediate.

They embark at every port every week.

Often pretty quick to get clearance under 30mins.

This winter there were quite a few deviations on itinerary dues to strikes in France.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Preziosa said:

Did They anything outside in the Yacht Club

Negative.  This was the only downfall of the cold weather sailing.  The bar and One Pool area buffet was closed during the sailing I did.  What WAS nice is if you can stand the cold, I had the whole deck to myself to include hot tub as others thought I was insane apparently...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pizaz said:

Negative.  This was the only downfall of the cold weather sailing.  The bar and One Pool area buffet was closed during the sailing I did.  What WAS nice is if you can stand the cold, I had the whole deck to myself to include hot tub as others thought I was insane apparently...

I was surprised how often they opened the bar on our 2 trips over winter.

Much of the time no one there, I ventured out a few times too cold to order a drink.

One day a few brave people hung out so they move one of the wait staff from the lounge.

Done Northern Pearls cruise twice once end of Nov on the Magnifica and last year 2nd week in Dec on the Virtuosa. The November one(2021) we couldn't get in to Zeebrugge i think it was, because the weather, well it was stormy. I remember it snowed in Hamburg though. 

Last December was cold it Snowed in Hamburg and the lake in the centre there was frozen and so were some of the canals. Colder in Hamburg than anywhere else but it was a cold weather wise cruise overall.

We just wrap up and take appropriate clothing and get on with it. Love a good walk outside on board even its freezing cold and trust me I hate the cold but I love the sea and being outside (when its not pouring with rain and blowing a gale though) and when we're done we just go and get a hot chocolate or 2.

You do get the odd one or 2 who will go swimming in the pools outside at that time of year but the water temperature is probably warmer than the outside temperature. A lot more will go to the indoor pools and hot tubs. YC wasn't really open outside in Dec last year but i would sometimes go up there just for the peace and quiet with a hot mug of tea and watch the world go by. 

I will be doing this cruise again on the Preziosa Dec 24.

We were on Virtuosa last November on a Northern Europe cruise and the main pool outside was open and it is heated. There wasn't many people who enjoyed the pool but we did (we live in Finland). 🙂

Have a wonderful and cool cruise 🙂

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing @jsydanma.  We will be sailing in March, so it might be a bit warmer. We're from Minnesota, so know what cold is too, so maybe I'd give the pool a shot. Definitely would get in a hot tub.  I'm hoping they have the pool bar and buffet set up if weather allows.