Wheel of Fortune coming to NCL

DeSaxMan13

7 hours ago, laudergayle said:

But when the VP of Onboard Revenue puts out a press release about a new gaming opportunity, it would be counter-intuitive to believe this will be complimentary (at least in the current market). 

Excellent point.  The Vice President of Onboard Revenue.   Not the Vice President of Onboard Entertainment.   

I agree, they will be charging.  And we will not be attending.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This is just horrible! I see they are going the way of Carnival. Carnival went with Hasbro game shows for entertainment. We quit sailing Carnival due to the lack of entertainment and the pathetic menus of Golden Corral.

We have been sailing MSC and NCL the last 8 years. Have not sailed NCL since the pandemic and when the Epic came back to PC we booked 6 cruises.

I thought Deal or No Deal was bad but this is worse.  So, instead of entertainment, I get to go on a cruise and watch other passengers as if it were a game show. No thanks, I can watch Wheel of Fortune at home.  

Guess we will be going back to MSC after our next 6 cruises.

• Like 2

The only way to get NCL to bring back the big shows and cancel all these game shows is not to participate.

If the theater(or whichever location they are doing them at) is always empty then NCL will understand that it was a bad idea.

But unfortunately the majority won`t do that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ready2cruzagain said:

This is just horrible! I see they are going the way of Carnival. Carnival went with Hasbro game shows for entertainment. We quit sailing Carnival due to the lack of entertainment and the pathetic menus of Golden Corral.

carnival no longer does Hasbro games anymore. that contract expired many many years ago

When you read the original press release it mentions a debut of the game show. It never says replacing any other shows during the cruise. Did I miss something?  With 7 nights or more, the main theatre needs multiple shows since the Broadway ones usually occupy only 2 nights. Thinking positively might the game show night(s) only be an addition? The off Broadway nights typically have less than stellar entertainment. I agree with all that if the game shows would be meant to replace the current "big" shows then it is a big mistake. We'll see as future itineraries advertise their lineups. We as consumers do have a voice. Use them.

10 minutes ago, mendi said:

When you read the original press release it mentions a debut of the game show. It never says replacing any other shows during the cruise. Did I miss something?  With 7 nights or more, the main theatre needs multiple shows since the Broadway ones usually occupy only 2 nights. Thinking positively might the game show night(s) only be an addition? The off Broadway nights typically have less than stellar entertainment. I agree with all that if the game shows would be meant to replace the current "big" shows then it is a big mistake. We'll see as future itineraries advertise their lineups. We as consumers do have a voice. Use them.

Just a guess here but Epic has only one show, Burn the Floor, since they got rid of Priscilla. My guess is that they will not be getting another production show to replace Priscilla and will use Wheel of Fortune in its place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Just a guess here but Epic has only one show, Burn the Floor, since they got rid of Priscilla. My guess is that they will not be getting another production show to replace Priscilla and will use Wheel of Fortune in its place.

I agree the production shows will be very limited moving forward.  I actually think they will be moving more towards the type of entertainment you see on MSC…which both you and I agree it is entertaining.  Various song/dance/theatrical performances utilizing a designated group of performers across all shows.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

If that rings true, IMO it is a big mistake. Cruise demographics obviously not being read. The more mature cruiser represents a huge revenue pool and from all you read here as proof, these potential changes will not be well received. But as we all have seen in recent years, the $ rules the roost. 

21 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

I agree the production shows will be very limited moving forward.  I actually think they will be moving more towards the type of entertainment you see on MSC…which both you and I agree it is entertaining.  Various song/dance/theatrical performances utilizing a designated group of performers across all shows.  

Yeah….from what I’ve heard from their entertainment crew the last couple of cruises, the current entertainment contracts will run out  and they’ll be replaced by internally developed shows like what they have in Syd’s and Cavern Club.  My guess is it’s cheaper to pay royalties on Fleetwood Mac and Beatles music that it is for Vegas type shows like SIX.

I have to admit, I’m not a game show type of guy, so it won’t matter to me.

But, I do really like the Syd’s and Cavern Club shows.  

As was said, if no one goes to the game shows, their tenure will be brief.

1 hour ago, mendi said:

If that rings true, IMO it is a big mistake. Cruise demographics obviously not being read. The more mature cruiser represents a huge revenue pool and from all you read here as proof, these potential changes will not be well received. But as we all have seen in recent years, the $ rules the roost. 

or... maybe they ARE being read.  Yes, 'mature' cruisers are a huge revenue pool, but those cruisers will 'age out' of traveling and they'll need new 'mature' cruisers.  Those people are the current younger crowd, and maybe this is a way they can draw them in and get them hooked on the brand?

7 minutes ago, hallux said:

or... maybe they ARE being read.  Yes, 'mature' cruisers are a huge revenue pool, but those cruisers will 'age out' of traveling and they'll need new 'mature' cruisers.  Those people are the current younger crowd, and maybe this is a way they can draw them in and get them hooked on the brand?

TBD

1 hour ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Just a guess here but Epic has only ... since they got rid of Priscilla ... not be getting another production show to replace Priscilla and ... use Wheel of Fortune ... 

@graphicguy most definitely can give us an update on the latest with the Epic, as I haven't paid much attention to the ship since our TA in April and frankly, don't recall going any of the shows at all, that's how memorable it was.  We saw Burn The Floor twice, or is it 3 times within the past 18 months prior & that's plenty no matter how good it is.  

For our upcoming one, we think we are still lucky to, hopefully, fingers crossed, see Summer: The DS Musical (not available to book, yet) but the other "entertainment" options are pathetic, IMHO when you have multiple sea days.  The Price is Right and Deal or No Deal being the other "shows" - plus Pour House & The Improve At Sea.  Vibe Beach Club - Access Pass & Behind The Scenes Tour (paid) also listed, but to be clear, how NCL can list it as entertainment ... I must be confused.  

For cruises with shorter duration and/or port intensive itinerary stops, these aren't as important but ... Well some of us like our cup of tea, coffee, expresso or Starbucks, while others prefer wine & beer, or a favorite mixed blend - it's getting interesting to see how marketing plan spin this for 2024 and beyond.  Lately, our own cruise circles is buzzing about MSC options and those post-cruise e-surveys from NCL are definitely looking for feedbacks ... alas, it's the corporate balance sheets for the next quarterly & forecasts.  

Meanwhile, in other news - Regent's bringing in 4 new shows, hmmm ...  - https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/09/four-shows-to-debut-on-regents-seven-seas-grandeur-in-november/

Edited by mking8288

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

I actually like MSC's entertainment shows in the main theater. Lots of things going on in one show, opera to acrobats. I definitely liked it better than Priscilla which I have seen too many times. We will probably see Burn the Floor again even though we have seen it 5 times.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, knitlady037 said:

one card to play the puzzles was $25, 10 cards was $50. Got boring after the first round.Would not do  it again.

The Price is Right does not use cards nor has a cost.  You must be thinking of Deal or No Deal, which is an entirely different game. I believe on the Prima they played that in the Improv during the day. 

1 minute ago, debenson0723 said:

The Price is Right does not use cards nor has a cost.  You must be thinking of Deal or No Deal, which is an entirely different game. I believe on the Prima they played that in the Improv during the day. 

I was responding to the Wheel of Fortune game which was the topic for this thread. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, knitlady037 said:

I was responding to the Wheel of Fortune game which was the topic for this thread. 

Interesting how you have already played it on board since the first post of this thread has the Press Release stating it won't be available until Spring 2024. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

Interesting how you have already played it on board since the first post of this thread has the Press Release stating it won't be available until Spring 2024. 

Was available on the Sept 10 Escape sailing. Was done one night. Audience was full but not many elected to buy cards. I felt the prizes offered were not really good. Only 3 participants were selected and they played all rounds of the game. For price is right, game was free and they selected random guests from the audience for each round.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, knitlady037 said:

Was available on the Sept 10 Escape sailing. Was done one night. Audience was full but not many elected to buy cards. I felt the prizes offered were not really good. Only 3 participants were selected and they played all rounds of the game. For price is right, game was free and they selected random guests from the audience for each round.

9/17 Escape sailing had Deal or No Deal in Atrium one afternoon as I recall, did not watch it but saw it as a passerby. 

1 hour ago, debenson0723 said:

You may want to re-read that press release.  It doesn't say that at all, in fact it says the opposite in that it will be rolled out by spring 2024:

bring “Wheel of Fortune Interactive” aboard 16 of its vessels by Spring 2024.

• Like 1