Make sure your luggage floats

bitob

20 minutes ago, az85331 said:

Cunard rep contacted us and said that they did recover our luggage and maybe next week they'll send it to us.  What can be salvaged is another question.

That is good to hear!!!

Hi bitob,

we are also affected by this disaster. 2 of our bags are also in the Hudson River. That day one person from Intercruises called me late afternoon and told me that they found one of our bags. She asked me to come and pick it up or send a car. You know about the weather conditions in NY. It was not possible to go to Brooklyn again. Next day nobody was reachable. Now we are back in Germany and got a call from Cunard Germany. That lady is now in charge. Hopefully. Will keep you posted

One stupid question: What is TA standing for?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, az85331 said:

Thanks for your reply.  Your list to do looks so reasonable.  But why Cunard execs did not do it on their own?  Rhetoric question, sorry.

We've lost a lot of goods plus some irreplaceable memorabilia. My wife is really, really upset.

Now it's been a little bit more than a week and still nothing from Cunard.  I am puzzled with the Cunard's attitude toward their passengers. Any company like that must be much more responsive and proactive dealing with the damage caused by their own negligence.  Oh Lord!

Awful, really awful, for you. But it did think it had been established earlier in the thread that it was not Cunard who were at fault for the original mishap. On the other hand, everything since…

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Awful, really awful, for you. But it did think it had been established earlier in the thread that it was not Cunard who were at fault for the original mishap. On the other hand, everything since…

Cunard is responsible 

it’s called a bailment in legal terms 

we give our bags to Cunard, not to the stevedores

fault is irrelevant 

2 minutes ago, bitob said:

Cunard is responsible 

it’s called a bailment in legal terms 

we give our bags to Cunard, not to the stevedores

fault is irrelevant 

Cunard is responsible for the luggage, indeed, but it is not true that the accident was caused by their negligence, as it was said in the post. Surely there is a distinction.

• Like 1

There is also the mysterious question of whether you ever entrust you luggage to Cunard, until it is on the ship, if then. At Southampton, at any rate, you hand it over to dock workers who are employed by the port authority, so whom are you entrusting it to.

None of this alters the point that Cunard need to deal with their passengers far better than they have over this.

• Like 1

Just now, bitob said:

When you have a bailment, cause is irrelevant

Cunard is liable for damages.

If you had read the details of my post, you would see I was not disputing that for a moment, though I didn’t know we were discussing legal action so much as responsibility for uniting people with their luggage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

If you had read the details of my post, you would see I was not disputing that for a moment, though I didn’t know we were discussing legal action so much as responsibility for uniting people with their luggage.

and compensating them

From my TA who in on board QM2 with QM2 execs

Hi XXX, I met with XXX who is charge of the Cunard incidents, some one XXX reports to. We discussed last night at a cocktail party that your Cruise Critic friends had not heard from Cunard, so he took the suggestions and by the time the cocktail party was over all 21 affected clients were given a call. The majority they actual spoke to vs. leaving a voice mail. Hope your CC people also had the opportunity to discuss their issue.

• Like 9

Why should the anger from passengers about the lack of communication and follow up seem to be unknown to the Cunard incident manager until the TA meeting?

I would hope every line reads CC. In general, we are like free consultants for Cunard - read CC!

Edited by NE John

Just now, NE John said:

Why should the anger from passengers about the lack of communication and follow up seem to be unknown to the Cunard incident manager until the TA meeting?

I would hope ever line reads CC. In general, we are like free consultants for Cunard - read CC!

You are so right. But even without reading cc it’s just common sense to call the affected passengers. I’m just glad everyone has now been contacted 

8 minutes ago, NE John said:

I would hope ever line reads CC. In general, we are like free consultants for Cunard - read CC!

I can’t imagine they ever look at it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I can’t imagine they ever look at it.

Some cruise lines do. In fact years ago frank del Rio would occasionally post on the Oceania boards 

regent has a rep who posts in response to issues raised 

Edited by bitob
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, bitob said:

Some cruise lines do. In fact years ago frank del Rio would occasionally post on the Oceania boards 

regent has a rep who posts in response to issues raised 

Given Cunard’s evident problems with IT, CC may well be beyond them. 🙂

• Haha 4

It's something many large companies have their public relations folk monitoring.

Originally it would have been a case where part of someone's job was to scan through the press each morning and alert senior managers to anything relating to the organisation.

I'm sure that will have progressed to online searches with auto alerts to anything mentioning certain key words.

I've seen that set up in companies ranging from 500 to 120,000 staff and Wikipedia claim Carnival Corp have 150,000.

4 minutes ago, D&N said:

It's something many large companies have their public relations folk monitoring.

Originally it would have been a case where part of someone's job was to scan through the press each morning and alert senior managers to anything relating to the organisation.

I'm sure that will have progressed to online searches with auto alerts to anything mentioning certain key words.

I've seen that set up in companies ranging from 500 to 120,000 staff and Wikipedia claim Carnival Corp have 150,000.

Presumably most of the 150,000 are at sea.

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Presumably most of the 150,000 are at sea.

But then most of the 120,000 I'm talking about were driving buses, trains and trams or supervising those that were doing so. A very small percentage were in back office jobs.

I think it is insane for a cruise line not to at least monitor CC periodically.

They can resolve many issues before they become widespread and a PR nightmare.

Too often folks complain on CC but never raise the issues with folks who can resolve those issues.

One ship I was on -- I think Regent -- the executive concierge was monitoring a "live from" thread.

Smart.

Perhaps from now on the Cunard people will realize how powerful CC can be.  I know my TA is still discussing it with them on the QM2.

Edited by bitob

On 10/5/2023 at 10:12 PM, bitob said:

Mine kept working in the bag that was removed quickly. It is still working. 

the other bag spent too much time submerged for the AirTag to keep working 

Good to hear.   Last night I saw they sell waterproof cases.  

image.thumb.png.f19a3599f18737b9b6e8f61a08097beb.png

12 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Good to hear.   Last night I saw they sell waterproof cases.  

image.thumb.png.f19a3599f18737b9b6e8f61a08097beb.png

I’m not sure they would be enough to keep them working when submerged for days but worth a try.