Cunard for an NCL regular?

PATRLR

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

And,  I pointed out a very good reason to avoid Cunard.   

And I was responding to you stating you have an issue with people caring what other people wear.

I totally understand why you don't want to sail Cunard, it is the main reason I have avoided it as well.

BUT, I totally understand why people care what others wear WHEN there is a dress code (regardless of the cruiseline)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rodndonna said:

And I was responding to you stating you have an issue with people caring what other people wear.

I totally understand why you don't want to sail Cunard, it is the main reason I have avoided it as well.

BUT, I totally understand why people care what others wear WHEN there is a dress code (regardless of the cruiseline)

My issue isn't with people who care about what others wear.

My issue is with people who want to control what others wear.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

My issue isn't with people who care about what others wear.

My issue is with people who want to control what others wear.

Just to be clear, your issue is really with the cruiseline that sets the rules on what people wear, not the "people" who care if you follow the rules or not. Those "people" are not trying to control what you wear, they just want everyone to follow the rules.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rodndonna said:

Just to be clear, your issue is really with the cruiseline that sets the rules on what people wear, not the "people" who care if you follow the rules or not. Those "people" are not trying to control what you wear, they just want everyone to follow the rules.

Following the rules is just an excuse.  They think they will enjoy dinner more if every one else dress like they like to dress.  That is controlling others.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Following the rules is just an excuse.  They think they will enjoy dinner more if every one else dress like they like to dress.  That is controlling others.

It is not controlling others if they choose to cruise on a ship with a dress code. This coming from a man who has never owned a tie in his life, never will and will haunt anybody who buries me in one. That said I am glad they have a ship for those who like to play dress up and have a dress code as not to ruin the experience for those who do.  Different strokes for different folks.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Someone seems to be going off the deep end here. Who are you talking about? No person can control what others wear, only the cruise line can.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, yakcruiser said:

It is not controlling others if they choose to cruise on a ship with a dress code. This coming from a man who has never owned a tie in his life, never will and will haunt anybody who buries me in one. That said I am glad they have a ship for those who like to play dress up and have a dress code as not to ruin the experience for those who do.  Different strokes for different folks.

How does what another person wears ruin the experience for someone else?

19 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

Someone seems to be going off the deep end here. Who are you talking about? No person can control what others wear, only the cruise line can.

Why should a cruise line insist upon someone wearing a jacket to dine in the MDR?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Why should a cruise line insist upon someone wearing a jacket to dine in the MDR?

Why should a cruise line put a freaking roller coaster or go-kart track on a ship?! Because that is what their demographic wants. What do you care?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Because it’s catering for those who do like to dress smartly.

Birds of a feather flock together. For those that like to make an effort to look lovely, it’s nice to be surrounded by like minded people.

There are enough cruise lines out there to choose from, there’s something for everyone thank goodness.

I admire people who say that they will never travel Cunard because of the dress code…. Great, at least you are choosing another cruise line.

The ones that really annoy me are those that know that there is a dress code but choose that line then deliberately try to be scruffy and flout the code.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just now, IAcruising said:

Why should a cruise line put a freaking roller coaster or go-kart track on a ship?! Because that is what their demographic wants. What do you care?

So some passengers do want to control what others wear only they just want the cruise line to do it for them?

One of the reasons I prefer NCL is their lack of a dress code that requires coats, ties, etc.  If a NCL patron is considering Cunard, they should be cognizant of Cunards policies.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Med said:

Because it’s catering for those who do like to dress smartly.

Birds of a feather flock together. For those that like to make an effort to look lovely, it’s nice to be surrounded by like minded people.

It's catering to those who believe their cruise can be adversly affected by what others wear?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

How does what another person wears ruin the experience for someone else?

When they have been wearing the same clothes for 14 straight days - and you can smell they havent been laundered - and are sitting next to you at a bar or lounge - then yes the experience is diminished. Happened to me in August.

• Like 1

@PATRLR

There is a poster on the Carnival board who is doing a live review about his travels to Barcelona taking a TA on a Carnival ship and then a cruise on the QE visiting several European ports.

You may want to read his thread as he is not dressing formally for the Gala nights onboard, but choosing to have dinner in the buffet or pub which does not require the formal dress code.

He seems to be enjoying the cruise on the QE.

Although some people responding to his posts have pointed out that the entire Cunard cruise experience does include dressing for the Gala nights as the dress code applies to other venues beside the MDRs for the entire evening.

My DH and I were fortunate to experience a TA to Southampton in 2001.

Quite awhile ago.

We dressed formally and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. At that time, passengers were requested on Gala evenings to remain in their formal clothes  after dinner while enjoying the evening activities. We found that level of dress to make the entire evenings special.

We had planned to sail on other Cunard cruises and crossings, but we never did. Life happens.

So ,long answer short-would Cunard be for a NCL regular?

Perhaps,  if you feel that you would like the ambience, level of service and activities found on a Cunard ship that are very different than those found on NCL ships.

You could try Cunard.

If you found it not to your liking, you could always return to NCL.

MJ

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 7:48 AM, RocketMan275 said:

Question:  if you enjoy wearing a jacket  at dinner, why don't you wear one more often?

You can wear a jacket to dinner anytime, not just on a cruise.  McDonalds won't deny service because you're wearing a jacket.

Why insist that everyone else wear a jacket because you enjoy wearing one?

Because when everyone dresses up it adds to the total atmosphere. If  if really bothers you adding to the atmosphere, then dont sail Cunard. You have plenty of choices.

• Like 3