Cunard for an NCL regular?

PATRLR

Calling on folks who've been on Cunard and NCL recently...

We have been on mostly NCL ships for the past few years.  We do enjoy them, especially the Away/Away+ class ships. That being said, things like go-carts, laser tag, ropes, etc aren't interesting to us.  Entertainment, food, drinks are important to us.

That being said, we're looking at a QM2 itinerary for July 2024 that goes to Norway (Sea/Kristiansand/Olde/Alesund/Stavanger/Sea).  The price for a "sheltered balcony" (BY) is very competitive to other similar itineraries from other lines that we're looking at (RCCL, Princess).  So the question I have is, what do I need to know about Cunard/QM2?  I assume I'll have extra costs for service charges, drinks, dining if I want specialty dining and excursions.   How is the entertainment? What else should I have my eyes wide open about as I dig deeper over there?  Any "add-ons" that might be worth looking into?  Any "special" areas or access that I might want to investigate?

By the way, I expect Cunard to be an older crowd, and I'm OK with that.  So long as they don't close the ship down at ridiculously early - do they?

Appreciate your input here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With Cunard, the dress code for evening dinners is stronger. When I was on one f their ships, a dinner jacket was needed all nights and sometimes a tie was required. They don’t close the ship early in the evenings. 😁

• Like 2

I went on the QM2 transatlantic a few years ago.  Lovely ship and they still try to do things in an elegant and upscale manner - with dress codes for the main dining room on certain days.  The only thing I found disappointing is that the food in the main dining room is only fair.  They have limited specialty dining, so your choices aren't great.  Also, on the TA you had an assigned seat in the main dining room for dinner so you were always sitting with the same group.  

• Like 1

I follow some of the Cunard forums for entertainment, they don't pack they have "curated cruise wardrobes" then they post pictures of themselves on formal nights wearing a dress and cardigan I would wear to go grocery shopping in. Plus the drinks package is extortionate.

• Haha 2

Have sailed twice on QM2, return trip from Southampton to NewYork. Beautiful ship, spacious with great lounges. Had Britannia balcony on way over as. Was on my own, fixed dinner sittings and tables in the Britannia restaurant. Food and service was good. On way back Britannia Club balcony as was with my wife, flexible dining times and more choice on the menu. I hated the atmosphere on the formal nights, and if I remember correctly, if you do not dress up you are limited to eating in the buffet and also have limited access to the bars. Much prefer NCL and would never go back to Cunard.

We sailed on Cunard to Norway and also a  very recent NCL cruise to Canada / NE (plus another NCL Med cruise a while ago).  We have also sailed on Celebrity, Viking and RCCL quite a bit. 

I found Cunard to be more similar to mainstream lines that what others are reporting here.  I do think they had two formal nights, but I don't recall it really being enforced.   I am sure you would find a wide variety of folks and dress on any big cruise ship these days.   I wouldn't worry about the dress code.  

On the downside, Cunard is likely more money than NCL and I don't recall the food being any better than other mainstream lines, but certainly equal.  So maybe you could question the value of the Cunard trip. The Cunard ships are really beautifully done, however. 

Either way,  have fun !

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

If you liked the movie Titanic, you'll like Cunard.  It's nothing more than a way for senior citizens to pretend they're on the Titanic.

Which is why I am attracted to Cunard! I love playing dress-ups, always have. But I don't want to take the pretense to the ultimate re-enactment of course.

Edited by maggielou362
add
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, PATRLR said:

That could be a show stopper, if "formal" means I need to jacket and ties every night.

It does not. But folks tend to dress up more on Cunard ships. At then end of the day, Cunard is competing in the same cruise market as NCL. They are not competing in the luxury cruise market. And it is not old people pretending to be on the Titanic. (At least I am not dumping jewelry off the stern of the ship). 😁

We are Platinum members on Cunard (roughly equivalent to Platinum on NCL). We have sailed on all of their ships multiple times. It was a few years pre-pandemic since we were last on QM2, so I won't comment on how she is today. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

If you liked the movie Titanic, you'll like Cunard.  It's nothing more than a way for senior citizens to pretend they're on the Titanic.

That would make it a hard stop.  

I would be JACK….drinking, gambling. dressed like a drunken sailor..proud of my antics…looking to hold the record for being the quickest to be asked to leave! 

Formal to me is not going “commando”!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Especially if you enjoy the casual atmosphere of NCL, I’d take a very hard look at Cunard’s evening dress code rules. I believe they apply not only in the dining venues, but also in other public areas of the ship. Read as much as you can about this and make sure you know what you’d be getting into. 

• Like 2

The Cunard dress code applied all over the ship when we sailed.  I had two small children, and they were very tolerant of my obviously day black dress and allowed me into the main dining room.  There were people in formal evening gowns, even in the buffet (formalwear is not required in the buffet but they chose to dress up and eat there) so it is a question of how comfortable you might be when others are much more formally dressed.  Cunard is one of the few lines that allowed 2 year olds to go in the drop off daycare program, so that's how we wound up there.  Norway was amazing, so if you are primarily sailing for itinerary you will be happy.  

• Like 1

Currently on Prima, our first NCL cruise and we are platinum (12 cruises) on Cunard.
So the other way round to the question put by the OP.

We are both aged early 50s.

We sailed on QM2 to the Norwegian fjords in August, so quite recently.

Very different experiences, if you sail on Cunard during the holidays and from Southampton there will be younger passengers and a few children.
There are some fine public spaces on QM2 and the ship does not close after 10pm although we have seen this on other Cunard ships in low season where we most definitely the youngest of all passengers.
The most obvious difference is the lack of choice of restaurants on Cunard, although the food is amazing with different menus every night. The buffet also serves great food and room service is free.

Cunard passengers love to dress up and wear their finest especially on Gala nights.

Expect 2 Gala nights on a 7 night cruise when about 90% of men will be wearing black tie and tuxedo and ladies their finest dresses.

Other nights are less formal, but passengers still dress smart for dinner.

The highlight for most is of course the afternoon tea, served in the Queens room by waiters wearing white gloves.

We have loved all of our cruises on Cunard but are looking for a bit more, NCL and Celebrity are our now go to cruise lines.

I recommend everyone should do a Cunard cruise at least once, especially on QM2.
It is very traditional and is a fine cruise ship,  but the experience is a bit like comparing apples and pears.

• Like 5

A lot of misunderstanding about Cunard dress codes on this thread. I would suggest you go to https://www.cunard.com/en-us/the-cunard-experience/what-to-pack

Simple version: twice per 7 nights, there will be gala evenings where jacket and tie is required to be in the dining room, theater, and most other venues. Several areas of the ship do not require formal wear on those nights - buffet, pub, and casual dining/entertainment venue Carinthia Lounge. Other nights gentlemen are expected to wear a collared shirt and slacks - no shorts, no jeans - but a jacket is not required.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ExArkie said:

A lot of misunderstanding about Cunard dress codes on this thread. I would suggest you go to https://www.cunard.com/en-us/the-cunard-experience/what-to-pack

Simple version: twice per 7 nights, there will be gala evenings where jacket and tie is required to be in the dining room, theater, and most other venues. Several areas of the ship do not require formal wear on those nights - buffet, pub, and casual dining/entertainment venue Carinthia Lounge. Other nights gentlemen are expected to wear a collared shirt and slacks - no shorts, no jeans - but a jacket is not required.

Oh, I fully understand the Cunard dress code and it's enough for me to reject Cunard as a viable option.  Twice per cruise is twice too often.  Wearing a jacket and tie is too much.  Being confined to set areas.

For those who wish to pretend they're on the Titanic, I suggest an excursion where they dress up and spend the night in a life boat.

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Oh, I fully understand the Cunard dress code and it's enough for me to reject Cunard as a viable option.  Twice per cruise is twice too often.  Wearing a jacket and tie is too much.  Being confined to set areas.

For those who wish to pretend they're on the Titanic, I suggest an excursion where they dress up and spend the night in a life boat.

Why the snarky sarcasm? As I said in my previous post, I like to play dress-ups, I think it's fun. I understand it's not for everyone though. To each their own, respect to all. 

Edited by maggielou362
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, maggielou362 said:

Why the snarky sarcasm? As I said in my previous post, I like to play dress-ups, I think it's fun. I understand it's not for everyone though. To each their own, respect to all. 

I have no issues with your playing dress  up.  I  have issues when formal nights make eveyone else play dress up too or be restricted to certain areas of the ship.  It's absurd to believe that the mere sight of another passenger not in black tie will ruin the entire evening for one who is playing dress up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, maggielou362 said:

I would LOVE to do Cunard one of these days. Personally, I relish the opportunity to dress up. I have several tuxedos and don't get to wear them much anymore. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

54 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

10 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I have no issues with your playing dress  up.  I  have issues when formal nights make eveyone else play dress up too or be restricted to certain areas of the ship.  It's absurd to believe that the mere sight of another passenger not in black tie will ruin the entire evening for one who is playing dress up.

Did Cunard do something to you?  Did one of their ships run over your dog or something?  

To be honest, I was a bit surprised by your first response, but, laughed it off.  The subsequent responses, I'm not sure what to make of them.  Look, no one is forcing you onto the QM2, so, no need to worry about how you or anyone else is dressed on the QM2.  I'm considering the QM2 and if I decide to go it will be with eyes wide open knowing I need to bring my jacket and tie if I want to partake in the formal festivities, or, I know that we will be hanging with steerage in the pub those nights.  It's really not a big deal.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Did Cunard do something to you?  Did one of their ships run over your dog or something?  

To be honest, I was a bit surprised by your first response, but, laughed it off.  The subsequent responses, I'm not sure what to make of them.  Look, no one is forcing you onto the QM2, so, no need to worry about how you or anyone else is dressed on the QM2.  I'm considering the QM2 and if I decide to go it will be with eyes wide open knowing I need to bring my jacket and tie if I want to partake in the formal festivities, or, I know that we will be hanging with steerage in the pub those nights.  It's really not a big deal.

Having to put on a jacket and a tie to dine anywhere but the buffet is a big deal.

A big enough deal to reject Cunard.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Haha 1