Cunard for an NCL regular?

PATRLR

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. 

Regarding the enrichment lectures, were they oriented towards the port stops?  And what itinerary were you on?

Oh, that's interesting.  If doing any time dining, as a couple, would we still be sharing a table or would they seat you alone?

The enrichment lectures were on food, wine, honey, and forensic science, with one or two lectures discussing the Canadian ports.  I was on a TA but the cruise after mine was going to Canada and many of the passengers were doing a BTB.

They allowed you to sit with your party or with others, up to you and what you want that particurlar meal.

Edited by edspec
clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2023 at 9:48 AM, edspec said:

Glad you're enjoying your cruise.  Can you tell me the approximate volume of the kettle provided? Thanks! 

I am absolutely loving my cruise on QM2. This is a sold out voyage but no crowds to be seen. There are four separate banks of elevators so never a wait and many times an elevator with only one or two passengers. 

I haven’t seen one table of friends or family focusing on their phones instead of each other. Granted, internet isn’t good, Starlink won’t be installed for several weeks.

Almost everyone carrying a book or kindle which as a reader I love to see. Many utilizing the promenade deck which is wide and has loads of padded loungers. Lovely people to team up for trivia or to share a table at lunch.  

The ship is very quiet, any background music is low volume. The captain makes an announcement at noon each day with weather and navigation updates, as well as the history of nautical terms or sayings but that’s about it. The disembark paperwork states that QM2 practices a “silent disembarkation” in other words you’re given a time to leave your cabin and they assume you honor it. I loathe noise so this has been right up my alley. 

Food has been good to excellent. There has been a lot of lamb and game served, both of which I love. Fish as you can imagine is also good and the Indian food outstanding. Per my sister room service quick, accurate, and the food arrives hot. We have the drink package and there is never an issue with ordering multiple alcoholic or non alcoholic drinks at once. Waiters often just take one card for the table. Nibbles such as potato chips, olives, and cheese straws served with drinks from late afternoon. 

The ship is well maintained and beds are extremely comfortable. Penhaligans toiletries, including full bottles of lotion. Coffee and tea making supplies along with a kettle in all cabins…they even include simple butter cookies. I realize the cookies are for tea but I’ve been eating them for breakfast.

Entertainment is wonderful all day and into the evening. Trivia challenging and fun with a wide range of topics. Many enrichment lectures on a variety of topics.

Dress code strict, we did see an older gentleman turned away from the dining room on Black and White Gala Night…he was in dress slacks, shirt, and cardigan.  I personally thought grace could have been shown in that instance. I didn’t buy clothes for this cruise and my black knee length dress purchased for board meetings was right in the middle of what other women were wearing. My BIL bought a new tux and that seemed the most popular option for men, but a dark suit would be fine too. Day time clothing is what you’d see on any cruise.

I will sail with Cunard again, most likely a TA round trip. DH and DS like a more port oriented cruise so perhaps a Panama Canal cruise as a family.

I would sum this up by saying Cunard is for adults who want to behave as adults, not adults wanting to relive spring break.  I’m glad both types of cruises exist because that gives all of us options and I’m happy to experience both 🙂

Let me know if you have any questions.

I sailed on the QM2 in January 2013.  I wouldnt say that NCL or QM2 was better or worse than each other but they are definitely different. As far as the dress code goes, I cant speak for the men but the women's dress code was very easy to abide by. Ie. I, a woman in my 60's at the time, wore a black velvet long skirt several of the evenings. I would change it by wearing a different glitzy top. Very easy.  Add a pashima for a different look. I wore dressy sandals.  I think I also had black velvet pants and did the same. Very easy.  You could wear the same bottom every night with different tops and scarves and fit right in. Some women do dress more formal, especially in the equivalent of the Haven.  For guys that detest putting on a jacket and tie you would probably not be happy on the QM2.  Beautiful ball room if you like to dance. I think I read no other line has a ballroom like it.  The standard entertainment was okay but they also had lectures. I think they called it Cunard Insights?  Very interesting topics.   One was by Bill Miller who grew up in Hoboken, NJ across from the NY docks and has become an expert on ships.  I saw 3 good movies.  There was also classes like water color you could pay to take.  Line dancing classes.  I remember a fashion show.  I agree the drink package was expensive.  You only had to sit at the same table every night for dinner. The other meals were open seating plus the buffet.  One thing I did not like was having a set time to get to dinner if you did go to the main dining room. One afternoon I took a nap and slept through dinner. I like freestyle dining a lot.  The main dining room was elegant, with a grand staircase.   dont think there was anything like laser tag or miniature golf.  Or Mr Washy Washy

• Thanks 2

On 10/2/2023 at 10:21 AM, RocketMan275 said:

Having to put on a jacket and a tie to dine anywhere but the buffet is a big deal.

A big enough deal to reject Cunard.

A jacket and tie is not "black tie".  A lot of people have to wear jacket  and tie every day to work, its considered civilized dress for the job.   So sad, guys look so great  dressed up. Good thing there is something for everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2023 at 1:34 PM, edspec said:

The enrichment lectures were on food, wine, honey, and forensic science, with one or two lectures discussing the Canadian ports.  I was on a TA but the cruise after mine was going to Canada and many of the passengers were doing a BTB.

They allowed you to sit with your party or with others, up to you and what you want that particurlar meal.

The enrichment lectures I listened too were Bill Miller and his love of ships, someone from the British government,  an actress -forget which one- talking about how to get your book published.  

22 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I sailed on the QM2 in January 2013.  I wouldnt say that NCL or QM2 was better or worse than each other but they are definitely different. As far as the dress code goes, I cant speak for the men but the women's dress code was very easy to abide by. Ie. I, a woman in my 60's at the time, wore a black velvet long skirt several of the evenings. I would change it by wearing a different glitzy top. Very easy.  Add a pashima for a different look. I wore dressy sandals.  I think I also had black velvet pants and did the same. Very easy.  You could wear the same bottom every night with different tops and scarves and fit right in. Some women do dress more formal, especially in the equivalent of the Haven.  For guys that detest putting on a jacket and tie you would probably not be happy on the QM2.  Beautiful ball room if you like to dance. I think I read no other line has a ballroom like it.  The standard entertainment was okay but they also had lectures. I think they called it Cunard Insights?  Very interesting topics.   One was by Bill Miller who grew up in Hoboken, NJ across from the NY docks and has become an expert on ships.  I saw 3 good movies.  There was also classes like water color you could pay to take.  Line dancing classes.  I remember a fashion show.  I agree the drink package was expensive.  You only had to sit at the same table every night for dinner. The other meals were open seating plus the buffet.  One thing I did not like was having a set time to get to dinner if you did go to the main dining room. One afternoon I took a nap and slept through dinner. I like freestyle dining a lot.  The main dining room was elegant, with a grand staircase.   dont think there was anything like laser tag or miniature golf.  Or Mr Washy Washy

p.s. I love Mr Washy Washy

We loved sailitng on Queen Mary 2.  It's such a cut above other cruise lines, in our opinion.  It brings back the classy days of sailing that so many cruise lines have dropped in order to attract the current generation of cruisers. We loved the elegance and beauty of the ship and the lovely British atmosphere.  I don't think Cunard is geared towards younger passengers but that's the draw for us. And we love dressing up for dinner.  Most everyone onboard enjoyed it also.  We didn't see anyone in their play clothes in the MDR's but the maitre'd wouldn't have allowed anyone in without proper dinner attire while we were onboard anyway. Some people, like us, just enjoy the Cunard style of ships. But we also sail on NCL at least once a year just because it's a fun atmosphere with little or no restrictions.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

Regarding fixed dining times: As has been mentioned in this thread, Cunard has added an “any time” dining option since you were there in 2013. 

Having done several Cunard transatlantic crossings and just finished a week on NCL Jade in Greece, the main difference I saw was that there were ample bars and lounges on Cunard where one could have a quiet conversation, while I did not find any on Jade. The lack of such on this NCL trip was possibly more due to the particular sailing than a general atmosphere on NCL, since I do not recall quite as raucous a crowd on our two previous NCL cruises.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2023 at 4:12 PM, Catchum said:

I follow some of the Cunard forums for entertainment, they don't pack they have "curated cruise wardrobes" then they post pictures of themselves on formal nights wearing a dress and cardigan I would wear to go grocery shopping in. Plus the drinks package is extortionate.

I do this too! It's quite hilarious to follow the Cunard board here. I do sometimes chime in as I'm intrigued by Cunard. A trip over to the Cunard Cruise Critic boards generally steers me back to NCL. 

On 10/1/2023 at 5:19 PM, RocketMan275 said:

If you liked the movie Titanic, you'll like Cunard.  It's nothing more than a way for senior citizens to pretend they're on the Titanic.

Hahahahaha - thank you for this imagery!! 

On 10/1/2023 at 8:55 PM, maggielou362 said:

Which is why I am attracted to Cunard! I love playing dress-ups, always have. But I don't want to take the pretense to the ultimate re-enactment of course.

Playing dress-up? Hehe - you mean my every day job at work? I, too, would skip the iceberg part. 

On 10/2/2023 at 5:51 AM, si_boy said:

The highlight for most is of course the afternoon tea, served in the Queens room by waiters wearing white gloves.

I recommend everyone should do a Cunard cruise at least once, especially on QM2.
It is very traditional and is a fine cruise ship,  but the experience is a bit like comparing apples and pears.

Have you seen Papples? It's a pear crossed with an apple to create a papple! They're quite yummy!!

But, I really came here to say...afternoon tea! The one reason I want to cruise Cunard is to experience daily afternoon tea. It looks wonderful even if they do not carry my favorite Lapsang Souchong tea. 

On 10/2/2023 at 8:49 AM, ExArkie said:

A lot of misunderstanding about Cunard dress codes on this thread. I would suggest you go to https://www.cunard.com/en-us/the-cunard-experience/what-to-pack

Simple version: twice per 7 nights, there will be gala evenings where jacket and tie is required to be in the dining room, theater, and most other venues. Several areas of the ship do not require formal wear on those nights - buffet, pub, and casual dining/entertainment venue Carinthia Lounge. Other nights gentlemen are expected to wear a collared shirt and slacks - no shorts, no jeans - but a jacket is not required.

Collared shirt and slacks = very formal to me for vacation. 

12 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

A jacket and tie is not "black tie".  A lot of people have to wear jacket  and tie every day to work, its considered civilized dress for the job.   So sad, guys look so great  dressed up. Good thing there is something for everyone. 

I wear this "uniform" to work every day. No thank you. I don't like looking like a stuffed penguin, though I throw quite a lot of color into my ties and shirts. 

But, alas, if I ever cruise Cunard (which I do kind of want to do - see above), I'll be stretching the dress code as far as I possibly can. I'd prefer to look like a circus act than a persnickety older looking down their nose at the youngers who just can't possibly be cultured due to their dress. It'll be a fun time. I'll let you know when, so you can join in the dressertainment!! It's funny how often the boards of Cunard light up at the latest denigration of the vaunted dress code. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I do this too! It's quite hilarious to follow the Cunard board here. I do sometimes chime in as I'm intrigued by Cunard. A trip over to the Cunard Cruise Critic boards generally steers me back to NCL. 

Hahahahaha - thank you for this imagery!! 

Playing dress-up? Hehe - you mean my every day job at work? I, too, would skip the iceberg part. 

Have you seen Papples? It's a pear crossed with an apple to create a papple! They're quite yummy!!

But, I really came here to say...afternoon tea! The one reason I want to cruise Cunard is to experience daily afternoon tea. It looks wonderful even if they do not carry my favorite Lapsang Souchong tea. 

Collared shirt and slacks = very formal to me for vacation. 

I wear this "uniform" to work every day. No thank you. I don't like looking like a stuffed penguin, though I throw quite a lot of color into my ties and shirts. 

But, alas, if I ever cruise Cunard (which I do kind of want to do - see above), I'll be stretching the dress code as far as I possibly can. I'd prefer to look like a circus act than a persnickety older looking down their nose at the youngers who just can't possibly be cultured due to their dress. It'll be a fun time. I'll let you know when, so you can join in the dressertainment!! It's funny how often the boards of Cunard light up at the latest denigration of the vaunted dress code. 

how does wearing a jacket and tie make you look like a stuffed penguin?  There were only 2 young men at our table with tuxes. They actually looked out of place.  Maybe in the higher level accommodations you might see more tuxes on the men  but where I was I saw mostly jackets and ties on the men at dinner and night locations and like you point out, you can jazz it up with colors. No one has to look like a penguin unless it is a special Penguin night. I dont remember any.  I personally think that tuxes are a little foolish looking.  But jackets and ties with a nice shirt look classy. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2023 at 9:47 AM, PATRLR said:

Calling on folks who've been on Cunard and NCL recently...

We have been on mostly NCL ships for the past few years.  We do enjoy them, especially the Away/Away+ class ships. That being said, things like go-carts, laser tag, ropes, etc aren't interesting to us.  Entertainment, food, drinks are important to us.

That being said, we're looking at a QM2 itinerary for July 2024 that goes to Norway (Sea/Kristiansand/Olde/Alesund/Stavanger/Sea).  The price for a "sheltered balcony" (BY) is very competitive to other similar itineraries from other lines that we're looking at (RCCL, Princess).  So the question I have is, what do I need to know about Cunard/QM2?  I assume I'll have extra costs for service charges, drinks, dining if I want specialty dining and excursions.   How is the entertainment? What else should I have my eyes wide open about as I dig deeper over there?  Any "add-ons" that might be worth looking into?  Any "special" areas or access that I might want to investigate?

By the way, I expect Cunard to be an older crowd, and I'm OK with that.  So long as they don't close the ship down at ridiculously early - do they?

Appreciate your input here.

My very first cruise was a TA on QE2 way back Very late 1990's).  Cunard is a much slower pace of cruising.  You have a set dining room and set window of dining time.  Afternoon tea everyday ( really good finger sandwiches).  Dressier at night than NCL ( but I enjoy having to wear a jacket at dinner, I don't wear one that often).  Food presentation is wonderful, although a bit bland ( like on most ships anywhere).  I think of Cunard as the way ocean travel used to be, no frills, just a fancy and leisurely way to get from one point to another, with stops between.  I say give it try just once, it's always nice to experience something new in cruising.  As for the age of passengers, it's all relative.  I think I was about 30 yrs old on the TA cruise, and I was not the youngest.  

7 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

My very first cruise was a TA on QE2 way back Very late 1990's).  Cunard is a much slower pace of cruising.  You have a set dining room and set window of dining time.  Afternoon tea everyday ( really good finger sandwiches).  Dressier at night than NCL ( but I enjoy having to wear a jacket at dinner, I don't wear one that often).  Food presentation is wonderful, although a bit bland ( like on most ships anywhere).  I think of Cunard as the way ocean travel used to be, no frills, just a fancy and leisurely way to get from one point to another, with stops between.  I say give it try just once, it's always nice to experience something new in cruising.  As for the age of passengers, it's all relative.  I think I was about 30 yrs old on the TA cruise, and I was not the youngest.  

Question:  if you enjoy wearing a jacket  at dinner, why don't you wear one more often?

You can wear a jacket to dinner anytime, not just on a cruise.  McDonalds won't deny service because you're wearing a jacket.

Why insist that everyone else wear a jacket because you enjoy wearing one?

• Haha 1

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

Question:  if you enjoy wearing a jacket  at dinner, why don't you wear one more often?

You can wear a jacket to dinner anytime, not just on a cruise.  McDonalds won't deny service because you're wearing a jacket.

First off, I NEVER go into McDonalds, or any other fast food place . I do hear a jacket when going to a restaurant for dinner.  Cunard is a way of life, people have the freedom to chose how to live the life they want and enjoy any experience they want.  If they don't feel like dressing up, then Cunard is not the place for them.  But as i stated, IMHO, folks should get out of their comfort zone and try something different at least once in life.  They may be suprised how much they enjoy something they never thought of doing

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

First off, I NEVER go into McDonalds, or any other fast food place . I do hear a jacket when going to a restaurant for dinner.  Cunard is a way of life, people have the freedom to chose how to live the life they want and enjoy any experience they want.  If they don't feel like dressing up, then Cunard is not the place for them.  But as i stated, IMHO, folks should get out of their comfort zone and try something different at least once in life.  They may be suprised how much they enjoy something they never thought of doing

Whether you go to McDonald's isn't the point which is you can wear a jacket anytime you wish.

I've worn many a jacket in my past and there was a time when I enjoyed 'dressing up' but no more.

My issue is that I don't believe anyone should force someone else to dress up because they enjoy dressing up.  

I will  never cruise on a line that requires a jacket.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

A Carnival regular is currently posting Live from his Cunard cruise, it might be useful.

The thread starts with a couple of Carnival cruises and a crossing but he's been on Queen Elizabeth for a week now.

Keep this up I'm going to owe you royalties 😆

Thanks for the shout out 😀

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Whether you go to McDonald's isn't the point which is you can wear a jacket anytime you wish.

I've worn many a jacket in my past and there was a time when I enjoyed 'dressing up' but no more.

My issue is that I don't believe anyone should force someone else to dress up because they enjoy dressing up.  

that's what makes cruising wonderful.  You are not forced to abide by certain rules if you don't like them.  There are many different cruise lines to choose which are better fits for one's vacation lifestyle.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

Keep this up I'm going to owe you royalties 😆

Thanks for the shout out 😀

It's going to take me days to get through your live. Well done! 68 pages and still going. 

And here's @Host Hattie trying to convince me to go the dark side....someday, it just may happen! Watch out for a funtastic review.

1 hour ago, JustAPilot said:

There’s also vacation mode dressing which can be casual for dinner ware ie jeans and a shirt and then there’s bragging about wearing basketball shorts and a t-shirt to the Haven restaurant..

Hey now....I don't brag about it. I help people understand they are allowed in based on my personal experience. Having said that, I'm a wee bit worried about our Pr1ma sailing next month given the adjustment to NCL's dress code policy on the interwebs (but that's for a different post). 

I didn't say it before, but @PATRLR, if you do choose Cunard, I really, really, really hope you do a live or a review. I would be immensely interested in your experience and thoughts! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

When/where did @9tee2Sea insist that everyone else where a jacket? 

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Again, who, other than the curise line, is forcing anyone to dress up?  

We all know you have some sort of deep hatred for dressing up for dinner. The good news is you have the right to choose not to go on a cruise line that requires their passengers to dress for dinner.  so what I don't understand is why you feel the need to attack people who like to dress up?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I didn't say it before, but @PATRLR, if you do choose Cunard, I really, really, really hope you do a live or a review. I would be immensely interested in your experience and thoughts! 

Mrs. PATRLR put the nix on Cunard.  She abhors the idea of dress up more than I do.  

So thank you to everyone for your input, but, ultimately we will be sailing some other line.

Edited by PATRLR
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

When/where did @9tee2Sea insist that everyone else where a jacket? 

Again, who, other than the curise line, is forcing anyone to dress up?  

We all know you have some sort of deep hatred for dressing up for dinner. The good news is you have the right to choose not to go on a cruise line that requires their passengers to dress for dinner.  so what I don't understand is why you feel the need to attack people who like to dress up?

I couldn't care less about people who like to dress up.

I do care about people who insist that other dress up because of some belief that how others dress affects their own enjoyment.  

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Mrs. PATRLR put the nix on Cunard.  She abhors the idea of dress up more than I do.  

So thank you to everyone for your input, but, ultimately we will be sailing some other line.

That's too bad. I hate it too, but I have throughly enjoyed my time on Queen Elizabeth.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

I couldn't care less about people who like to dress up.

I do care about people who insist that other dress up because of some belief that how others dress affects their own enjoyment.  

No one cares what you wear normally, but if you chose to cruise on a line that has dress code it is expected that you follow it. You have a choice, so why pick a line with rules you don't like and then ignore them? The same goes for smoking, no one cares if you smoke, but people will have issue if you smoke in a designated non-smoking area.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

No one cares what you wear normally, but if you chose to cruise on a line that has dress code it is expected that you follow it. You have a choice, so why pick a line with rules you don't like and then ignore them? The same goes for smoking, no one cares if you smoke, but people will have issue if you smoke in a designated non-smoking area.

I think I've made it very clear that I have no intention of sailing Cunard because of their dress code.

• Haha 1