Cunard for an NCL regular?

PATRLR

16 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

Because when everyone dresses up it adds to the total atmosphere. If  if really bothers you adding to the atmosphere, then dont sail Cunard. You have plenty of choices.

🎶Never trust a man in a suit / that's what I was taught to do....🎶

Having said that, if you want to cruise Cunard and enjoy the atmosphere, no one is stopping you. And, for those that just cannot possibly be bothered to wear a suit (that's me, btw), well, no one is forcing us to book a cruise with Cunard. 

So yes, enjoy your ummmm atmosphere! I'll enjoy mine. I'm not sure why it's so hard for some to understand that. Cunard for you. Cunard not for me! Yay! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was on a Cunard 3-night in August. Entertainment is more traditional, with large ballrooms with dancing, with no Broadway or other edgy shows. If you don't want to dress up on formal nights, you can still go to the buffet or the pub, which has really good fish and chips and other things for both lunch and dinner (and an excellent beer list). Cunard ships also have a forward observation lunch and wraparound promenade by the water with very nice padded loungers, which would be nice for a Norway cruise and watching fjords. It will be smaller than the large NCL ships, with few kids, so easier getting on and off the ships, less crowding in public spaces. The dining is superb, for all meals, without all the specialty restaurants of NCL. Their room service is also free and amazing, things like Thai curry and stuff I found better than an NCL dining room. They do a fancy afternoon tea, but if you don't want the crowds and waiting for service, you can just go to the buffet and they have the same snacks and tea. Service will be much better, especially steward service. From what I remember, drinks are priced decently, such as $6 or so for most beers. If you want a good review from a young cruiser trying it for the first time, search Cunard Emma Cruises on YouTube, and she'll have menus and such on her blog page--I watched her review before going, and saw that it wouldn't be as formal as I'd feared. So I saw families in shorts eating in the buffet on formal nights, and I just packed a dark jacket and slacks and tie, and didn't feel out of place in the MDR, even with all the people in tuxes. They also have themes for each formal night, like red or white, and it's kind of nice to watch people all dressed up and dancing in the ballroom in the evening, and the classic style of the ship, particularly QM2. Best of all, I didn't experience any nickel-and-diming or cuts in service, which all the other lines seem to be doing now, especially NCL. 

• Like 5

On 10/16/2023 at 11:00 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Why should a cruise line insist upon someone wearing a jacket to dine in the MDR?

There is a UK cruise line that has relaxed it's dress code but still like jacket on men formal nights.

The demographic is generally smart(some wear a  suit all day) and their formal nights if you turn up without a jacket they will lend you one to put on the back of the chair as there are passengers that do mention if gents don't have jackets.

it has been mentioned but dress codes only really apply to men as the ladies can wear just about anything from bar  hooker to full ballgown as long as it has some sparkels.

some lines are very gender discriminatory with footwear and insisting on only closed for men

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

The demographic is generally smart(some wear a  suit all day) and their formal nights if you turn up without a jacket they will lend you one to put on the back of the chair as there are passengers that do mention if gents don't have jackets.

I've always found that hilarious.  On one cruise line it went like this:  Since jackets were scare, the matre'd could only loan you one, (didn't have to put it on since sizing was an issue), the the matre'd would accompany you to your chair, take the jacket from you so someone else could make a show of carrying a jacket over their arm to their table.  Fully demonstrates that formal nights are ridiculous.

I haven't read through the full thread, so please forgive me if I am repeating previous comments.

One thing I would say is that when it comes to dining, QM2 is a three class ship. 

It is dependant on the Suite/Cabin you book which determines where you may dine, and the three classes are very different.

Only 1st class (Queen's Grill Suite) passengers may dine in the Queen's Grill, which has the finest cuisine, best chefs and top silver service waiters.

Then you have 2nd class (Princess Suite) which is still really very good, dining in the Princess Grill.

Then for most of us it is steerage. The MDR's or extra for speciality. The difference between the Grill's and MDR's is like comparing La Bernardin in NYC to Nando's. Oh and don't think you'll get in the Grills without suitable attire, regardless how much you paid for your suite.

They do however do possibly the best afternoon tea at sea, which is inclusive for all, and not to be missed.

Personally I find Cunard a bit stuffy, and I'm used to wearing Tuxedo's and Lounge suits, but I've got to the stage now where NCL are more than good enough for me.

• Like 1