10/2/23: Princess Cruises Introduces Expansive Vegan Menus For Plant-Based Cruisers

LACruiser88

6 hours ago, fabby50 said:

Unless they've changed the veggie burger since my last cruise in May, it's the worst thing I've ever eaten on a cruise ship.  It's basically a mashed potato patty with some other chopped vegetables in it, and it's always been cold.  I asked about a Boca or other similar burger and they didn't carry them.  I doubt if they'll ever get "official" Dole Whip since it's a branded product, maybe some shipboard version, or I think they have sorbet at the gelato station, I'll be looking for it on my cruise (leave on the 4th).  It's just pineapple sorbet, put through a soft serve machine.

I tried the veggie burger and agree, it was tasteless and served with a piece of tomato and lettuce. 

Love the look of the menus that have been posted and look forward to trying them on my next cruise, seems I just missed out on them by sailing last week on the Grand. 

On 10/28/2023 at 6:31 PM, fabby50 said:

I'm up for trying all of it, though ordering every course would be too much food for me.  Are they doing any desserts?  We're on the Discovery on the 4th and I asked if they had rolled out the menu yet and got an affirmative.  It will be good to give feedback.

Please do give feedback, I am on cruise/Discovery right after you.

15 hours ago, fabby50 said:

Unless they've changed the veggie burger since my last cruise in May, it's the worst thing I've ever eaten on a cruise ship.  It's basically a mashed potato patty with some other chopped vegetables in it, and it's always been cold.  I asked about a Boca or other similar burger and they didn't carry them.  I doubt if they'll ever get "official" Dole Whip since it's a branded product, maybe some shipboard version, or I think they have sorbet at the gelato station, I'll be looking for it on my cruise (leave on the 4th).  It's just pineapple sorbet, put through a soft serve machine.

Yes, they have sorbet at the gelato station for a charge. Usually my friends and family get cones on the Lido deck. Wish I could have one too but I am allergic to dairy.

I just had Dole Whip at a buffet in Vegas. There are also restaurants that carry it. It used to only be a Disney thing, but now other places are carrying it. They have several different flavors, not just pineapple. It would be nice if they had it on the Lido deck. Maybe someday.

On 10/30/2023 at 7:55 AM, chamima said:

I’m not sure they still have a club sandwich on the room service menu but in the past we’ve ordered the club sandwich and told them to hold the Mayo and the meat. So you basically get tomato and lettuce on toast. Not gourmet but at least a little something. 

Thank you.  I’m not vegan but I am allergic to dairy so I know that I’m safe with vegan items. Right now lettuce and tomato on toast sounds really good.

5 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you.  I’m not vegan but I am allergic to dairy so I know that I’m safe with vegan items. Right now lettuce and tomato on toast sounds really good.

We’re on the Sapphire right now. 
They actually have a vegan sandwich on the room service menu!!!!!!

Its tomato lettuce and avocado on toast. 

My husband has also had the vegan menu for two nights now and is very happy with it. Not everything is fabulous but there are enough courses that he can find an appetizer and main course that have been good. And it’s such a pleasure not to sit and figure out the next day’s meals with the Head waiter every night and just eat like a normal person!!!!

• Like 5

On 10/31/2023 at 9:25 AM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Vegan chili and fries sounds really good. How was the veggie burger and the hummus? Thank you!

We should all start requesting Dole Whip.  I just had some at the Bellagio buffet and it was delicious. I love that stuff!

It was really good! Seemed "home made" with grains and veg, that sort of thing. Not burger-like, as the Beyond Burger in Salty Dog Gastropub. They are both good, just totally different. 

• Like 2

I forgot to mention, there is a mocktail in Wheelhouse that is called Choco Banana and it's made with coconut milk. Tastes like a milkshake and is very good. I wasn't able to find it anywhere else on the ship - everyone else had dairy milk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

image.thumb.jpeg.ad7afbb8dde85672d9e3bc0b7dff666c.jpeg

Here's one I don't think has been shared yet. The tacos were not really tacos - open flour tortillas with cauliflower and onions - forgot what else. There was a white sauce alongside and I was told it was yogurt and chives. I let my server know that yogurt isn't vegan (I highly doubt they had vegan yogurt on board). It would have been better with some salsa anyway - kind of dry.

The salad, pasta and shepherd's pie were really good. Didn't have the soup.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Napagirl said:

It was really good! Seemed "home made" with grains and veg, that sort of thing. Not burger-like, as the Beyond Burger in Salty Dog Gastropub. They are both good, just totally different. 

Being pescatarians for over 35 yrs, we frequently will have the veggie burger at the pool side grill.  It is not our favorite, but we always ask for it well done which makes it a bit "crunchy" and more palatable.  🍔🍟

The Beyond Meat burger at the Gastropub is really good!

• Like 2

IMG_1600.jpeg

Except for the sandwich, this whole menu looks good to me. I love that they are not using a lot of “faux meat” type products (in fact, I don’t recall any). I’m not surprised, since they’re considerably more expensive than whole foods, but whole foods (do you know how hard it is to type that without autocorrect trying to change it to the store?) are much healthier. 

Edited by PescadoAmarillo
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

IMG_1600.jpeg

Except for the sandwich, this whole menu looks good to me. I love that they are not using a lot of “faux meat” type products (in fact, I don’t recall any). I’m not surprised, since they’re considerably more expensive than whole foods, but whole foods (do you know how hard it is to type that without autocorrect trying to change it to the store?) are much healthier. 

This was our menu last night and the weakest so far. 
The soup was so peppery it was almost impossible to eat. And the pasta almost flavorless.  
Oh well on to tonight. 

• Thanks 1

Another thing I remember from our cruise in May were the sweet potato and black bean tacos available at the grill by the pool.  I think they came with cheese, but you could ask for them without.  I am going to check on them, we leave tomorrow!  I take a few items with me when I don't have to fly because I watch my sugars - my own salad dressing, sugar free jam, sugar free coffee flavoring, and sugar free chocolate since I've never really cared for cruise ship desserts.  Stevia extract sure has helped me.  I have a late afternoon spa service on boarding day, so I will be trying room service first.  Looking forward to trying the new menus and I really appreciate this thread.  Thank you so much for posting the menus and your opinions  I like soup, I hope I have better luck with those.

On 10/28/2023 at 2:35 PM, PescadoAmarillo said:

IMG_1426.jpeg

On 10/28/2023 at 2:42 PM, PescadoAmarillo said:

Karen, I’m not on the ship. 

The broccoli salad and penne with red pepper pesto sound good. I *might* be getting a pic of the Mumbai Frankie Wraps, which…I can’t imagine. 

ETA:  here’s the Frankie wraps. I think I’d pass on this one. 

IMG_1429.jpeg

We had this menu last night. 
Everything was good. 
We skipped the mushrooms though. I still think that sounds weird. 
The Mumbai Frankie wraps are a mild curry , a lot like the roti we get in the Caribbean. 
They were really good but were served room temperature and would have been better hot. IMG_3439.thumb.jpeg.657e5b5247c8b588f60e2211c01e06d9.jpeg

Edited by chamima

Thanks everyone for sharing the menus and pictures.  I will be on the Regal soon and looking forward to trying the new items.  Question - We don't have to  pre-order the night before?  We can just show up and request a vegan menu at dinner?  This would be wonderful!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rcprncss said:

Thanks everyone for sharing the menus and pictures.  I will be on the Regal soon and looking forward to trying the new items.  Question - We don't have to  pre-order the night before?  We can just show up and request a vegan menu at dinner?  This would be wonderful!

You would probably be better served (and be assured that they will have something to your liking) if you *were* to check available menus the day/night before.

53 minutes ago, rcprncss said:

You no longer have to pre order the night before. 
Just sit down and request the vegan menu. 
The food is good but not having to pre order might just be the best part of this new menu!!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

You would probably be better served (and be assured that they will have something to your liking) if you *were* to check available menus the day/night before.

With what I have been reading, it seems this is the new way and there won't be all the options like before.  I did enjoy having plenty of options and I don't mind ordering the night before but it seems they are doing away with this.  You get choices from the one vegan menu each night.

Can anyone verify this?  If not, I will find out in a few weeks.  LOL.

3 hours ago, rcprncss said:

With what I have been reading, it seems this is the new way and there won't be all the options like before.  I did enjoy having plenty of options and I don't mind ordering the night before but it seems they are doing away with this.  You get choices from the one vegan menu each night.

Can anyone verify this?  If not, I will find out in a few weeks.  LOL.

You can still ask to see the next night’s menus and pre order. I know someone who is doing this. 
For some of us it’s a relief not to have to do it but if that’s what you prefer then you still can. 

The veggie burger at lunch in the Discovery MDR recently was inedible - mushy to the point of being almost slimy and tasteless. Beyond Meat and other similar products are not terribly expensive and are widely available so it is hard to understand why they are not provided in venues beyond the Salty Dog.

On 11/4/2023 at 1:35 PM, rcprncss said:

I simply asked for the vegan menu each evening after we sat down and it was brought right over. Nothing to pre-plan. I also took a look at the regular menu because sometimes there are "accidentally" vegan items as I call them, so you can have a little more to choose from.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2023 at 6:56 PM, Carnevale said:

The veggie burger at lunch in the Discovery MDR recently was inedible - mushy to the point of being almost slimy and tasteless. Beyond Meat and other similar products are not terribly expensive and are widely available so it is hard to understand why they are not provided in venues beyond the Salty Dog.

The veggie burger on Princess has always been awful and hasn’t gotten any better. I think on some ships you can order a Beyond Meat Burger in the Salty Dog for a charge. Nothing like that on the Sapphire.