October 6 on the Dawn searching for Northern Lights

crusinbanjo

Sail away from Bergen.   Today, our last port of call Bergen.  Mrs Banjo and I after consulting with the local representative from Bergen and equipped with a very basic map, set off on our own to explore the city.  We had been here once before, so the fish market an wood buildings were not the priority for us.  Instead, we started the day walking from the ship to the funicular and up to the top we went. Getting tickets was easy with the automated machines, the just follow the floor markings to the cab and zip, on top we were.  The view was nice, the city spread out below.  It is much bigger than what I expected.  Our plan was to walk the 2+mile path back down to the city center, so after a short visit to the WC we started through the Troll Forrest and down the packed gravel path.  More later

IMG_0058.jpeg

• Like 4

Sorry about the interruption, but as I was updating this blog, an impromptu sail away party erupted on deck 9 outside of the Panorama Lounge.  Now where was I….oh yes. From the top of the”mountain”, (read large hill), Mrs Banjo and I Started down the hard packed gravel path back to the city center.  The walk down, although a little steep is some areas was a beautiful 2.6 kilometer walk through the alpine forest.  Once back to civilization,  the rest of the walk down was mostly on stairs, winding down past many interesting and historic,(I’m sure), wooden houses.  

when we reached the bottom, back to where we started,  we started winding through some back streets until we were completely lost, admiring the old houses and shops.  The map we were given wasn’t much help, as there are no street names printed on it.  So, we were VERY LOST!  Luckily, I spotted a postman who told us we were not where we thought we were and pointed us in the right direction to find our way back to the Fish Market and the Old wooden buildings at the top of the harbor.  From there, getting back was a long walk, but pretty easy….weheuuuj, made it back to the ship.

the sail away from Bergen was as fabulous as one can imagine, the weather was bright and sunny, but the captain has told us the crossing later tonight and tomorrow will be quite rough with 12+ ft seas and winds with 50+mph gusts.  He has not said yet, but likely the outside decks will be closed.  So the cruise will end, with rough seas, kind of how we began.  Overall, a really good cruise with sun and clear sky’s when needed.  I’ll write a full review when I’m home and have time to collect my thoughts.  Hope you all enjoyed the commentary, I’ll post more pictures from home as well.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1