Some questions from a returning HAL cruiser

cruise101

Hello and thanks in advance for your assistance with the following questions. My wife & I have cruised with HAL before but not in the past 5+ years. Hence the unfamiliarity with the following. Your assistance is much appreciated:

1. Does HAL carry lactose free milk for their lattes etc.? I do not particularly like Oat, Almond, Soy or other substitutes, so am hoping that they carry real LF milk.

2.  We do have the HIA package, but am curious as to the cost to upgrade wifi to Premium. We will be doing the 14-night TA from Rome to FLL. Also, can one use Whats App's calling feature on the basic wifi package.

3.  I have read on these boards about HAL's Unlimited Laundry package. Any idea as to the cost of this (PP) for a 14-night voyage. Unlimited laundry is a great concept and helps you to pack light, so very interested in any info on this subject.

4.  Club Orange: I understand that getting the CO package allows you to visit the special CO dining room and also associated with this pkg is a cabin upgrade. What is the PP cost for the CO upgrade for a 14-night cruise and is it worth it. We are booked in the highest available Veranda category (in a location we like), so am not sure of what the upgrade option might provide us? Also, how does one go about buying the CO upgrade ahead of boarding the ship?

Once again your guidance on the above is much appreciated. Thanks.

• Like 1

Can help with a couple items. A recent cruiser indicated it costs $50 to upgrade wifi to premium on a 14 day cruise. The CO fee is $15pp/pday on a 14 day cruise. You would not get a room upgrade if you are at the top verandah level but might be offered some OBC (some have received this but not guaranteed). You can call HAL ship inventory at 888-628-8107 for availability. 

Your laundry pkg question:  laundry pkg is computed for the cabin, not per person.  The total cost depends on the itinerary.  I believe it is higher in Europe. For Caribbean, Mexico, Alaska & other itineraries it is $8.50 per day times the number of days (14 in your case.)  We usually do "by the bag" option, but that is your choice.

2 hours ago, Banditswife said:

We usually do "by the bag" option, but that is your choice.

We also use the “by the bag” option.  On our 17 day cruise in the spring, we only needed to send in a single bag (I roll clothing super tight, and can pack A LOT into that blue bag. . . . .)

My recollection is that the cost on the Volendam was about $30 or so (I’m old, so verify. . . . ). We had the items back the next morning in better-than-new condition.  Our room steward (the incomparable Imam) took the bag himself to the laundry, and when it was returned the items we requested on hangers were placed in the closets and the other items placed on the bed for us to put in drawers.

TL;DR version:  unless you have a LOT of laundry, the bag option is amazing!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cruise101 said:

Thanks Banditswife for the prompt response. Would you happen to know the cost for "by the bag" option?

Log in to you account on the Holland America website. There will be an option to prepay for laundry, it will give you pricing for all the options. We went with unlimited it was $96.00 for the 11 day cruise (we sent no fewer than 5 bags) and it was excellent. We usually got our laundry back on the same day if we got it in before 0900 hrs. You can choose to get it back on hangers or folded or a combination. Enjoy your cruise, pack lightly and take advantage of the laundry service.

Edited by Blackduck59

2 minutes ago, cruise101 said:

Thanks PalmSprings & Blackbuck59 for your respective suggestions. Blackbuck, we too are from beautiful Victoria. If convenient, send me a short email & let’s connect.

lyledotduckatshawdotca.

We have met up with some CC members, some on the cruise and others we set up a meeting when they were close by.

#4.  Club Orange cost for cruises longer than 13 days is $15/day per person.  Club Orange for cruises 8-13 days is $25/day per person.  Cruises 7 days or less cost is $35.

Note that solo travelers pay only for one person.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, cruise101 said:

2.  We do have the HIA package, but am curious as to the cost to upgrade wifi to Premium. We will be doing the 14-night TA from Rome to FLL. Also, can one use Whats App's calling feature on the basic wifi package.

Here are the symbols of what the two internet levels cover. I think you only need Surf for Whatsapp (symbol is telephone handset, right?). Note the three things not allowed on either plan, at the bottom.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/onboard-packages/cruise-ship-wifi.html 

• Like 1