Amsterdam to Bruges

Hi All

We have a cruise that begins and ends in Amsterdam Jun 2024.  According to the itinerary we arrive at 0600.   

After the cruise we thought we'd take the train to Bruges. Can we get our tickets when we arrive at the train station or should we get them in advance. If we should get tickets now, what would be a safe departure time?

I've read a few things and don't see a big advantage to buying ahead of time, and buying at the terminal means we don't have to worry about missing our train.  

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Bob

When I did this in 2014 (from the Airport on arrival) I didn't book in advance due to not knowing when I would actually arrive. There were no second class tickets available, and I was forced to buy a fairly pricey first class ticket. If I remember correctly, tickets were cheaper if bought in advance. Since you will be getting off a cruise you will be off fairly early. (I don't know whether you are on an ocean cruise - are you sure you are docking in Amsterdam and not Ijmuiden or Rotterdam? - or a river cruise but as long as you are actually in Amsterdam you could leave fairly early in the morning.)

I'm not sure which trains have advance purchase discounts, but they do exist. I will note that when I did this, there was a direct train from the airport to Bruges. I'm not seeing any direct trains right now.

Ok thank you.  It’s an ocean cruise with RCI and the itinerary just says Amsterdam
Looks like advance tickets are around 63eu per person 

So is a noon train safely workable?

We spent 3 weeks in Ireland in May this year. Loved it so much we’re go to visit  Scotland before this cruise.

We’ll fly from Scotland to Amsterdam, visit Bruges post cruise, and then  fly home from Brussels.  Which again may be a train ride 

Assuming your ship docks at the main cruise terminal in Amsterdam - and not IJmuiden or Rotterdam - it’s only a 5 minute cab or tram ride (or 10-15 minute walk) to Centraal Station.

So a noon train will be more than fine. In fact I’d even go for an earlier one, say 9 or 10am, if there is one. But do check your cruise terminal to make sure.

If you want to go from Amsterdam to Bruges, you will need to switch trains in Antwerp or Brussels.
There are 2 types of trains from Amsterdam to Antwerp and Brussels;

1) highspeed train Thalys/Eurostar; tickets are tied to a specific train on a specific time and day and you are assigned a seat. 

2) Regular intercity trains; tickets are not tied to a specific train only to a specific day. This means you can take any train from Amsterdam to Antwerp or Brussels on that particular day. Trains have free seating. 

Regardless of which train you took, you will need to switch trains in either Antwerp or Brussels. Here you only have 1 option; a regular domestic train. Again, tickets are not tied to a specific train only to a specific train. You can take any train towards Bruges and there is free seating. 

Even though you have to switch trains, you can book your entire train trip in 1 booking. You can use the website of the Dutch national railway company for international train travel https://www.nsinternational.com/en

Or you can use the equivalent of the Belgian national railway company https://www.b-europe.com/EN

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

... highspeed train Thalys/Eurostar ...

In case anyone is looking at such a trip, it may be worth noting that the merger between Thalys and Eurostar has now completed. Officially, all their trains are now "Eurostar" branded, although I understand that the existing (Thalys) red and (Eurostar) blue colours will continue to be used.

4 hours ago, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

If you want to go from Amsterdam to Bruges, you will need to switch trains in Antwerp or Brussels.
There are 2 types of trains from Amsterdam to Antwerp and Brussels;

1) highspeed train Thalys/Eurostar; tickets are tied to a specific train on a specific time and day and you are assigned a seat. 

2) Regular intercity trains; tickets are not tied to a specific train only to a specific day. This means you can take any train from Amsterdam to Antwerp or Brussels on that particular day. Trains have free seating. 

Regardless of which train you took, you will need to switch trains in either Antwerp or Brussels. Here you only have 1 option; a regular domestic train. Again, tickets are not tied to a specific train only to a specific train. You can take any train towards Bruges and there is free seating. 

Even though you have to switch trains, you can book your entire train trip in 1 booking. You can use the website of the Dutch national railway company for international train travel https://www.nsinternational.com/en

Or you can use the equivalent of the Belgian national railway company https://www.b-europe.com/EN

Fantastic info....thank you so much