Cancelled Ports

clojacks

More reports from Silversea about cancelled ports. One of the cruise had cancelled ports in Hamburg, Saint-Marlo, Bordeaux and Bilbao. Other cruise cancelled Morocco due to security concerns. 

So it's definitely not only O.

22 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

More reports from Silversea about cancelled ports. One of the cruise had cancelled ports in Hamburg, Saint-Marlo, Bordeaux and Bilbao. Other cruise cancelled Morocco due to security concerns. 

So it's definitely not only O.

Only Morocco was cancelled due to security concerns all the others were cancelled due to exceptionally bad weather.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vallesan said:

Only Morocco was cancelled due to security concerns all the others were cancelled due to exceptionally bad weather.

Correct. Most cancellations are weather related.

Wow…that Silversea trip with all those cancelled ports would be very sad for me! That was one long rough storm system! I realize one can’t control the weather. It’s one thing when you have a week at the beach and rains every day. To me a cruise ship moves from day to day…hoping that improves your odds. Maybe not. 

On 10/7/2023 at 12:50 AM, travelingJimmy said:

I've been on 9 Oceania cruises and I think only one or two cruises have not had a port cancel.   Usually tender ports which are really at the mercy of the weather and high waves.   Sometimes, depending on the cruise, a day at sea can be welcome.   The bigger issue (at least to me) in my cruise last May, isn't the port cancel ( we had one on that cruise), it's the port time changes.  In all cases there was less time in port.  Depending on the port, that can be a big deal especially if the port where you dock is away from the primary cities (think London or Bordeaux).  Oceania appears to be doing alot of that in the name of "sustainability".  IMHO its really about cost savings for Oceania.   Go slower, save gas so less cost, less time in port, less cost.   I really want Oceania to be financially strong, I believe that is in all of our best interests, BUT, that can't come at the expense of level of service or experience.

I am on the Tokyo - Vancouver cruise in the Screenshot, and as it shows, money saving rather than planet saving must be more important here. Especially when we need to leave Otaru mid-afternoon before 5-6 sea days. I was really looking forward to Dutch Harbour and Victoria. There have been more changes to that cruise than any I have been on. I am looking forward to it but expect it to be the last. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 12:35 PM, PhD-iva said:

My 25 APR 2025 20-day cruise has been shortened by 1 day. We received an email with a technical explanation, but the details escape me at the moment. A proportional price reduction has been promised.

several ports have also been changed. Here’s a snapshot of my scribbles, comparing my original itinerary to what I found online. I wasn’t that concerned about accuracy, more the broad strokes, and big picture. So don’t quote me.

IMG_9436.jpeg

Adding the post and Screenshot back again, as I realised it was back on page one! Sorry

9 hours ago, Hokapontas said:

I am on the Tokyo - Vancouver cruise in the Screenshot, and as it shows, money saving rather than planet saving must be more important here. Especially when we need to leave Otaru mid-afternoon before 5-6 sea days. I was really looking forward to Dutch Harbour and Victoria. There have been more changes to that cruise than any I have been on. I am looking forward to it but expect it to be the last. 

This is an assumption that has zero proof. But of course you must know something that the captain doesn't about the anticipated weather and all other things that impact the sailing.

Looks like you completely lost your faith and trust in O, it's probably better for you to find another line that puts the customer first. Just make sure to check the posts about that SS sailing I mentioned before with at least 5 cancelled ports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Morocco stands out for me since we are due to be there, Casablanca, in three weeks.

Yes, I would be really disappointed if we miss this port.  Was one of the highlights of this itinerary for me anyway.

Morocco would be wonderful to experience!  I too would be sad to miss it. I am afraid cruises in that region realistically will be affected. I read about people who lost ports they hoped to visit in Baltic regions. Weather is another issue that is out of our control. We chose cruises for the intinerary and would be dissapointed to lose numerous ports. Assume Oceania is committed to sail safety but yet does their very best to work out their port issues as planned!!

Yes a number of cruise lines are cancelling Morocco.

No idea if something else can be substituted, will probably be a sea day.

No need to sail into any port that may pose any kind of threat. Of course that could eliminate so many locations that cruising may become just that.

11 hours ago, ak1004 said:

This is an assumption that has zero proof. But of course you must know something that the captain doesn't about the anticipated weather and all other things that impact the sailing.

4/25/25 Riviera - Tokyo - Vancouver. Also booked on this. Yes, it was shortened by 1 day, 3 ports changed, 1 cancelled. Reason given was 'due to limited berthing availability for Vancouver'. It does seem strange that a year and a half out, these changes would be indicated, though my non-educated guess is that this much advance planning is sometimes required for berthing at certain ports. Certainly not weather related, (at least not yet) so who knows? 

21 hours ago, Hokapontas said:

and as it shows, money saving rather than planet saving must be more important here. Especially when we need to leave Otaru mid-afternoon before 5-6 sea days.

Yes, very definitely a fact free assumption, and you know what they say about that. I will choose to believe what O is saying, go with the flow, and continue to look forward to this one with great anticipation. (And I gotta say... kinda hoping all these O cruisers, new and otherwise, who threaten to 'jump ship' actually do so. More and better opportunities for the rest of us. Until that perfect alternative they're looking for comes along, Oceania will be our line of choice, imperfections and all.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, jazznruby said:

4/25/25 Riviera - Tokyo - Vancouver. Also booked on this. Yes, it was shortened by 1 day, 3 ports changed, 1 cancelled. Reason given was 'due to limited berthing availability for Vancouver'. It does seem strange that a year and a half out, these changes would be indicated, though my non-educated guess is that this much advance planning is sometimes required for berthing at certain ports.

JazznRuby, am also on this itinerary. Hope to see you on the Rollcall. 😃

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jazznruby said:

4/25/25 Riviera - Tokyo - Vancouver. Also booked on this. Yes, it was shortened by 1 day, 3 ports changed, 1 cancelled. Reason given was 'due to limited berthing availability for Vancouver'. It does seem strange that a year and a half out, these changes would be indicated, though my non-educated guess is that this much advance planning is sometimes required for berthing at certain ports. Certainly not weather related, (at least not yet) so who knows? 

Yes, very definitely a fact free assumption, and you know what they say about that. I will choose to believe what O is saying, go with the flow, and continue to look forward to this one with great anticipation. (And I gotta say... kinda hoping all these O cruisers, new and otherwise, who threaten to 'jump ship' actually do so. More and better opportunities for the rest of us. Until that perfect alternative they're looking for comes along, Oceania will be our line of choice, imperfections and all.

I love O too. Had to cancel the recent Montreal to Miami that just came back, couldn't be helped. Loved, loved, loved the last cruise we came back from in May. It's not a threat, moving to a different line, it's something where I don't see a lot of value in SM. I have let my O rep know that's the case, it's all I can do. She tried to sell me the same cruise on Regent. But it was in 2024, when we can't go. 

For those who have been on a few cruises with O already, you throw away credits of cruises you already have taken. So changing your line isn't something you do lightly.

But moves where they put forward an itinerary that changes a whole year or two out, an itinerary you chose, it selects easy going passengers who don't rock the boat and deselects those who don't like it, who wonder if they didn't have a booking in those ports in the first place. Previously, late changes were because of weather etc. Someone said here somewhere that berthing couldn't happen because of laws about discharge at a port - maybe - what an idea! - leave that port out in the first place. Expensive ports (maybe?) like Otaru - charge $50 more pp to cover that and we could have a visit to Sapporo. Oh I'm full of suggestions, I know! But simple ones. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Looks like you completely lost your faith and trust in O, it's probably better for you to find another line that puts the customer first. Just make sure to check the posts about that SS sailing I mentioned before with at least 5 cancelled ports.

Wow, nice!!! 

17 hours ago, ak1004 said:

And BTW, the cruise isn't till April 2025, so the captain must really know something about weather 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hokapontas said:

I love O too. Had to cancel the recent Montreal to Miami that just came back, couldn't be helped. Loved, loved, loved the last cruise we came back from in May. It's not a threat, moving to a different line, it's something where I don't see a lot of value in SM. I have let my O rep know that's the case, it's all I can do. She tried to sell me the same cruise on Regent. But it was in 2024, when we can't go. 

For those who have been on a few cruises with O already, you throw away credits of cruises you already have taken. So changing your line isn't something you do lightly.

But moves where they put forward an itinerary that changes a whole year or two out, an itinerary you chose, it selects easy going passengers who don't rock the boat and deselects those who don't like it, who wonder if they didn't have a booking in those ports in the first place. Previously, late changes were because of weather etc. Someone said here somewhere that berthing couldn't happen because of laws about discharge at a port - maybe - what an idea! - leave that port out in the first place. Expensive ports (maybe?) like Otaru - charge $50 more pp to cover that and we could have a visit to Sapporo. Oh I'm full of suggestions, I know! But simple ones. 

If you want to shoot, shoot, don't talk.

The SM subject has been discussed more than enough already. If it doesn't work for you, find a line that provides you a better value and takes a better care of you. It's that simple.

For us, we try not to complicate things too much. We look for the best combination of ship, itinerary and price. We are booked at O, SS and SB for the next 2 years. We don't consider any line "our line". 

But yes, I know that some people think they know better than the captain about weather, ports, berthing, navigation etc. I'm trying to do my job and let others do theirs.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Currently onboard Riviera, and we received notice of our first port cancellation today.  We were supposed to go to Livorno tomorrow, but due to severe weather conditions, we are going to La Spezia instead.  Weather reports show high wind warnings for Livorno tomorrow.

We originally had an independently booked walking/eating tour of Livorno scheduled.  Luckily we cancelled it a few days ago.  Otherwise we would not have received a refund, since the tour company has a 24 hour refund policy, and we learned about the port change less than 24 hours before the scheduled start of the tour.

36 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

Currently onboard Riviera, and we received notice of our first port cancellation today.  We were supposed to go to Livorno tomorrow, but due to severe weather conditions, we are going to La Spezia instead.  Weather reports show high wind warnings for Livorno tomorrow.

We originally had an independently booked walking/eating tour of Livorno scheduled.  Luckily we cancelled it a few days ago.  Otherwise we would not have received a refund, since the tour company has a 24 hour refund policy, and we learned about the port change less than 24 hours before the scheduled start of the tour.

Usually the tour companies provide refunds if the ship doesn't dock in the port. Was it different in your case? Personally I would never book with a company that doesn't provide a refund if the port is cancelled.

• Like 1

If I am interpreting this correctly, what happened is that the SM included excursion credits are not available to use due to canceled ports. I think that is the reason it can’t be used, so the question is will Oceania allow for OBC instead? SM is such a new program, and since the excursions they booked are no longer available, I think it’s a fairly new situation that is occurring 

Edited by Vineyard View

42 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Usually the tour companies provide refunds if the ship doesn't dock in the port. Was it different in your case? Personally I would never book with a company that doesn't provide a refund if the port is cancelled.

In this case, there was no promise of a refund if the ship did not dock.  We have only missed one port in Europe over approximately eight cruises, so I have probably gotten too lax in booking excursions that do not promise refunds.  The one port we missed before also was Livorno.  In that case, we had a ship tour booked, so we received a refund.

38 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

If I am interpreting this correctly, what happened is that the SM included excursion credits are not available to use due to canceled ports. I think that is the reason it can’t be used, so the question is will Oceania allow for OBC instead? SM is such a new program, and since the excursions they booked are no longer available, I think it’s a fairly new situation that is occurring 

I think they may not be available “at the moment”. 
I found it odd that you could book tours online but to cancel you had to ring Oceania. My guess is that the excursion credits will eventually be available when they have sorted out new tours for the replacement ports.

I also think they are likely to be sorting out the closest cruises first. So tours for spring next year may be a while off yet.

Oceania have always said that the excursion credit couldn’t be used as OBC but, given the circumstances at the moment, it might be easier for them to do just that.