Internet on Royal ships

Internet worked great on Serenade for our 12 night sailing.   No issues in cabin, balcony or anywhere on the ship that I used wifi.

On our Anthem winter sailing last year we had constant problems with connectivity.  We're told they had just installed starling and were working out the bugs.

By the time we sailed Anthem last March/April it worked just fine for us.

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2023 at 3:47 AM, klfrodo said:

Anyway, Speedtest had 189Mbps download speed and 25Mbps upload speed with a ping of 46ms and a jitter of 6ms.

With the old systems, the ping would be as much as 500 ms.   And some call heavy sites (like Amazon) would take a LONG time to load.

On 10/7/2023 at 4:54 PM, travelberlin said:

As a Diamond member I have heard that one has 1 day free internet as a  benefit. If we buy the Voom package, will this one day free internet reduce the price of the package?

And one thing I found out was that if you buy the package, you cannot use your free day.

We normally get one internet package and share it.  One cruise we both needed internet for a period of time one day.  So we used my GFs one day, great.  Next day, I tried to use my one day, but there is no way to access it if you have the package.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SRF said:

And one thing I found out was that if you buy the package, you cannot use your free day.

We normally get one internet package and share it.  One cruise we both needed internet for a period of time one day.  So we used my GFs one day, great.  Next day, I tried to use my one day, but there is no way to access it if you have the package.

As Diamond Plus, my husband and I each get 2 free days. What I've done on each of the past several cruises is to go to the internet desk when there are 4 days remaining in the cruise and ask the person to bump up our package by one device for the remainder of the cruise. Most recently, I had purchased a 4-device package in advance for our group. Then, on day 4 of a 7-day cruise, the crew member handling the internet desk "cashed in" our two 2-free-day coupons and bumped up our package* to a 5-device one.

Based on my past interactions doing this, this seems like a relatively routine request. It just has to be handled manually since their end-user system doesn't support that kind of a transaction.

* One minor necessary "glitch" is that the cancelling of the lower package to replace it with the higher one signs out all devices requiring logging in again, so keep that in mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2023 at 8:53 AM, Daghis said:

As Diamond Plus, my husband and I each get 2 free days. What I've done on each of the past several cruises is to go to the internet desk when there are 4 days remaining in the cruise and ask the person to bump up our package by one device for the remainder of the cruise. Most recently, I had purchased a 4-device package in advance for our group. Then, on day 4 of a 7-day cruise, the crew member handling the internet desk "cashed in" our two 2-free-day coupons and bumped up our package* to a 5-device one.

Based on my past interactions doing this, this seems like a relatively routine request. It just has to be handled manually since their end-user system doesn't support that kind of a transaction.

* One minor necessary "glitch" is that the cancelling of the lower package to replace it with the higher one signs out all devices requiring logging in again, so keep that in mind.

Thanks for the info