How crowded are Viking River cruises compared to Viking Ocean cruises?

Steerpike58

3 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Especially as these days you have to ask for a hard copy or as I’ve noticed on these boards it’s almost a demand that you must attend!

If you are referring to the Port Talks, yes, I would almost feel that I had missed something spectacular if I was not in attendance.  What might they say or inform us about that is not on the daily activity sheet?

We like the hard copy as I will take a highlighter with me and highlight things that I want to ensure we look at again or attend.

But, with that said, we are also ok with an electronic copy or in the cruise line App.

But, I would still wonder what passing comment the CD might make that was not included in the daily.

6 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

If you are referring to the Port Talks, yes, I would almost feel that I had missed something spectacular if I was not in attendance.  What might they say or inform us about that is not on the daily activity sheet?

We like the hard copy as I will take a highlighter with me and highlight things that I want to ensure we look at again or attend.

But, with that said, we are also ok with an electronic copy or in the cruise line App.

But, I would still wonder what passing comment the CD might make that was not included in the daily.

Plus the opportunity to ask questions to clarify any details.  The port talk is a must-do.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy ocean and river.  They are different. When planning a trip, I pick the itinerary and dates.  When choosing to sail with Viking, I know that the ships will be good.  Since Viking has built a fleet of almost identical ships, I don’t have an affinity toward any particular ship.  On other cruise lines, I have preferences choosing ships. 

Ocean has a more uncrowded feel.  Come and go to dinner, eat at a table for 2 or join a larger table, find a quiet place to relax, enjoy the pool or spa, etc. Ocean have more dining choices and specialty restaurants. Ocean has room service.  Ocean has more activities. Evening entertainment usually has performances. There are historians onboard. Cabin sizes are spacious and all have verandas. All cabins have chairs or sofas. Bathrooms are big. Ocean has launderettes. They also will do laundry by the piece.  Ocean has pools,hot tubs,  fitness equipment, and library.  Scenery can vary depending upon route.  When you at sea, you may not see land. 

River boats are smaller and more crowded.  Cabins are nicely appointed. When compared to ocean ships, cabins are more compact. Not all cabins have verandas. Some are really small.  Some have space for a chair. French balcony cabins and standard cabins don’t have chairs. restaurant and Aquivit do buffet for breakfast and lunch. Dinner times are on schedule. Restaurant tables are for 6+.  Aquivit has smaller tables and a fewer food choices. In warmer weather, you can sit outside. Both dining venues are nice.  Room service is not available for everyone.  Lounge space is compact.  No launderettes.  Laundry by the piece is offered.  Most riverboats don’t have fitness equipment, hot tub, or pools. There is a small selection of library books. Riverboat entertainment is limited. Once in awhile there is local groups. On riverboats, there is a pianist playing in the lounge.  Some nights we played games. Had lots of fun with trivia.  On riverboats, you are usually able to see interesting scenery.  

• Like 3