How crowded are Viking River cruises compared to Viking Ocean cruises?

Steerpike58

We thoroughly enjoyed our first Viking Ocean cruise last year and this year we are taking our first Viking River cruise. My biggest concern is, how crowded are the dining areas?  On the Ocean cruise, we almost never had a problem getting our own table-for-two (only exception was at breakfast once when we needed to depart early for an excursion).   Do you think we'll be able to dine as a lone-couple on the River Cruise? We aren't big on socializing! 

Obviously there's less space on the river cruise, but then, there's fewer people too! 

Edited by Steerpike58

2 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

.   Do you think we'll be able to dine as a lone-couple on the River Cruise?

Not much, No.

River cruise ships are all much the same design, all companies

Breakfast and lunch you probably can if they are buffets and time spaced out.

But dinner everyone is at one sitting and if the ship is full there wont be many tables for 2 and you can't reserve tables - and anyway the tables are so close together that you are almost together with people next table to you anyway

Skip through to almost the end - shows the main dining area. Very few, if any, tables for 2 on Viking

Edited by Kristelle
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kristelle said:

Not much, No.

River cruise ships are all much the same design, all companies

Breakfast and lunch you probably can if they are buffets and time spaced out.

But dinner everyone is at one sitting and if the ship is full there wont be many tables for 2 and you can't reserve tables - and anyway the tables are so close together that you are almost together with people next table to you anyway

Skip through to almost the end - shows the main dining area. Very few, if any, tables for 2 on Viking

Thanks!  It does look 'compact'!  Is there any concept of a 'counter', like in a diner, where you can just sit and watch the kitchen? That's one of our favorite pastimes on land. 

The 'Restaurant' sounds identical in style to the Restaurant on the Ocean Cruise. Is there an equivalent to the "World Cafe"? We ended up there almost every day, the food was so good! 

I'm actually OK with socializing with others but my partner is hard of hearing and it ends up being just too much of a struggle for her. People get offended if you don't respond, and yet she can't tell what they said. I end up speaking for her, which itself is not that great either. So we'd just rather be alone. 

I'm not sure what the World Cafe is but it seems from the video that Viking have a Cafe on next level, same as Scenic.

Which, on Scenic, had a smaller continental breakfast buffet and lighter lunch alternative - sandwiches, wraps etc instead of the main dining room buffet. 

The only 2 places to eat on Viking river ships are the main dining room and the Acquavit terrace at the bow.  There are a few tables for 2 up there, but there are none in the main dining room. Dinner is served by waiters at both locations.  Breakfast has a buffet as does the Acquavit at lunch.  I've read that some people go to the Acquavit way before dinner in order to get one of the smaller tables.  We always just went to the dining room.  Most of the tables there are for 6, but some are much larger back towards the kitchen.  When we ate there, we sat across from each other and there was little interaction with neighbors.

You can't see the kitchen from anywhere.

• Like 1

The dining rooms are crowded, but not excessively so. 

I traveled with a group of 5 and we always were able to be seated together, and also with our favorite wait staff.  I agree that finding seating just for 2 each night will be more difficult.

The only place and time I felt crowded on a Viking River ship is when everyone would meet before dinner for a talk regarding the next day.  Barely enough seating for everyone on board.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2023 at 1:42 AM, Steerpike58 said:

Do you think we'll be able to dine as a lone-couple on the River Cruise?

It depends.

It depends on where and when you go, it depends on how many passengers there are. On hot days extra tables are set up in the open on the bow. If there are groups on board they'll sit together, if more than six in a group then they'll take one of the large tables, freeing smaller tables

There are two 2-person tables in the Aquavit lounge, but if they are taken you can often find a table that is set for more people that is empty and which you can have to yourself.

I suggest coming into the dining room 15 minutes late when others have found seats and seeing what is free. If one of the big tables has a couple sitting at one end then you can sit at the other end and effectively be on your own.

But if, for whatever reason, you have to share a smaller table, there's no requirement to speak. It's polite to introduce yourself but you have no obligation to entertain.

A small correction to @dd57. The Aquavit used to be a buffet at lunchtime but on my  two 2023 cruises  they were waiter serve and the same menu as the main restaurant.

Edited by pontac
  • Like 3

On 10/7/2023 at 7:42 PM, Steerpike58 said:

Do you think we'll be able to dine as a lone-couple on the River Cruise?

I would not count on dining as a couple. I've only been on one river cruise so far (Cities of Light on Viking in July) and my husband and I managed a table to ourselves twice during the 7-day cruise portion. Once was lucky because no one joined us at a giant table for 8+. The other time was the first night before people discovered the Aquavit and its two total tables for two. If it so happens that they open the outside section of the Aquavit for dinner, you'll have a lot more options and probably decent chances of a table for two, but on our cruise they only served food out there at lunch.

FWIW, I am very introverted and while I would have preferred to have the option to avoid it as needed since I was often tired after a day of touring and not the best conversationalist, it wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as I expected. There were some awkward conversations early on, but on day 3 we ended up meeting another couple we really hit it off with. They were a fair bit older than us (we're in our 30s so practically babies compared to most passengers), but I'd honestly have dinner with them on the regular if given the chance. We ended up eating dinner with them most of the cruise which helped ease the anxiety around table sharing as we at least had folks around we knew we liked to chat with.

• Like 2

I've been on Viking cruises on the Seine and in Bourdeaux region as well as the Rhine/Danube.  The 3 markets use slightly different ships in  length, but the designs are very similar.  The Bordeaux ships had more tables for 4 and fewer larger tables, but none of the 3 had any tables for 2 in the dining room.

• Like 1

I agree that finding a table for 2 may be difficult.  I do hope, however, that you get the chance to enjoy a river cruise despite this concern.... river cruises are a lot different than ocean cruises and a great experience, in my opinion.

I did find that by the middle of the cruise, people tended to sit in the same spots with the same people.  Perhaps you could explain your partner's hearing issues to those at your table and they may be very understanding for the duration of the cruise.

• Like 1

There might be no “requirement” to speak, but the culture of River Cruises is that you make new acquaintances and have a polite conversation if you are sharing a table. Socializing is part of the experience. 

If having a table for two is a “requirement” then River Cruising probably is not for you. 

We always have the pleasure of meeting new and interesting people on our cruises. The pre dinner cocktail hour is a big part of River Cruises also. It is almost impossible to sit by yourself. If your wife can’t hear others I’m not sure she’ll be able to hear you either. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CCJack said:

I agree that finding a table for 2 may be difficult.  I do hope, however, that you get the chance to enjoy a river cruise despite this concern.... river cruises are a lot different than ocean cruises and a great experience, in my opinion.

I did find that by the middle of the cruise, people tended to sit in the same spots with the same people.  Perhaps you could explain your partner's hearing issues to those at your table and they may be very understanding for the duration of the cruise.

I have 100% hearing in one ear and 0% in the other---I always mention to the person on my deaf side that if they speak to me and I don't respond, I'm not ignoring them, but didn't hear what they said.  Folks are very understanding when I explain this to them.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

I have 100% hearing in one ear and 0% in the other---I always mention to the person on my deaf side that if they speak to me and I don't respond, I'm not ignoring them, but didn't hear what they said.  Folks are very understanding when I explain this to them.

We met somebody who was quite hard of hearing and he just said similar to that too - if people know this they will understand.

One trick might also be to try to sit yourself so your deaf ear is at the wall side of tables - so nobody is talking to your from that side anyway

5 hours ago, CCJack said:

did find that by the middle of the cruise, people tended to sit in the same spots with the same people.  Perhaps you could explain your partner's hearing issues to those at your table and they may be very understanding for the duration of the cruise.

I didnt really find this, at least not for my husband and I.

We sometimes sat with different people- but I agree with what you said - just quickly explain when introducing yourself.

Hearing does seem to be one of the most common of our senses that tend to disappear as we grow in experience, plus on board the cruise ship’s restaurants and lounges seem to have a quality that really doesn’t help any of us hearing wise. More and more people are recognising this. It is especially awkward when someone continues the end of a conversation as they turn their heads away. Noticing your facial expression (usually so small you don’t realise you are doing it yourself) or you use that slight touch and indication towards your ear can be of assistance, at least it would save that dreaded (for some) announcement. 
One of my really deaf friends who used to do a lot of sea cruises got so fed up with explaining that she got one of those old fashioned hearing trumpets after the first few meals no more fuss and bother, mind you she is just a little on the eccentric side.

I say travel and enjoy give people the chance to interact it’s there loss if they don’t.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

That is EXACTLY what I do!!!

Although I will add, since I no longer have "stereo" hearing, it is tough to pull a voice out of a crowd of voices---I do a lot of smiling and nodding, hoping I'm not agreeing with anything horrid..........

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 7:02 AM, sharkster77 said:

Although I will add, since I no longer have "stereo" hearing, it is tough to pull a voice out of a crowd of voices---I do a lot of smiling and nodding, hoping I'm not agreeing with anything horrid..........

That's exactly what my partner does, for better or for worse, with sometimes amazing results. I stepped away for a short while once and on my return, they had got the impression we had been on a cruise to New Zealand somehow!  

• Haha 1

We just got back from the 14-day cruise and I can report that we had some success in securing one of the two 'tables for 2' in Aquavit most nights. We simply passed by the Aquavit 15-45 minutes before dinner and left our jackets on the chairs. It turned out the Aquavit was used by the same set of about 8 couples the entire trip, but there was certainly a competition the the 2-seaters (Aquavit on our cruise was 2 tables for 2 and 3 tables for 4). When we couldn't get the 2-seaters, we reluctantly grabbed the 4 seaters but were joined by other like-minded people who pretty much wanted a quiet evening. 

The complication on our cruise was that there was a nasty coughing/sneezing bug going around and half the cruise seemed to be suffering from it. Several people were seen taking food back to their rooms for their partners who were laid up. But so many people seemed to happily sit there in the crowded lounge area during the 'port talk' coughing and sneezing their heads off, it was very disappointing. 

I got hit by the bug early in the cruise so really wanted to sit away from others.  On the second night, Aquavit was full so we reluctantly sat at the end of a long table in the main dining area. Within minutes we were joined by a friendly couple who were very talkative, and I basically carried the conversation for me and my partner. But it was grueling as my voice was failing, and by the end of the evening my voice was completely shot and after that, we did everything we could to grab one of those two Aquavit 2-seaters! 

For my partner, the experience was not pleasant because while she does make the effort to be sociable when someone is directly speaking to her, it's a huge effort and not a pleasant one so - I think this will be our last river cruise unfortunately. 

Such a pity Steerpike58 I hope your snuffles and coughs clear up quickly. It’s such a pity.  Covid has caused other challenges because of it people now seem to have forgotten the straight forward precautions they took prior to it. We had a similar experience this year and the main culprit in my eyes said well we’ve not got Covid I took a test. Get well soon and look after yourselves.

@Steerpike58 thanks for reporting back. 

I think the smallness of the river ships make it impossible to find alone space. On the huge ocean liners it’s easy to remain anonymous. Not so on River Cruises. 

My advice to those who aren’t keen on talking to strangers is to travel with friends. This way you have your table of four. 

• Like 1

I’ve been convinced several times that I’ve seen people half way through a river cruise that I’ve never seen before, some are very good at keeping themselves to themselves or there again is it me, eyes and no eyes. I’m all for live and let live but react to some who when there is a seat shortage get huffy and occasionally rude if you sit anywhere near them (maybe they don’t like my delicate perfume).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Canal archive said:

I’ve been convinced several times that I’ve seen people half way through a river cruise that I’ve never seen before, some are very good at keeping themselves to themselves or there again is it me, eyes and no eyes. I’m all for live and let live but react to some who when there is a seat shortage get huffy and occasionally rude if you sit anywhere near them (maybe they don’t like my delicate perfume).

It’s always difficult to figure out if some pax are simply uncomfortable speaking to strangers, or are snobby and don’t want to bother being polite. I’ve encountered both. Lol. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...