Gimme your CCL pet peeves

On 10/18/2023 at 8:39 PM, Drew B 58 said:

On my last cruise, I had a $70 bet.  I had a pair of 8s against a dealer 4.  I split, of course, and got a 3.  So I doubled and got an 8 for a 19.  Next card was another 8, so I split again.  I got a face on the first one for  an 18 and a 2 on the second.  I doubled and got a ten for a 20.  So I now had an 18, a 19, and a 20, and I had $350 up.  The guy two after me decided to split his tens (!) and got two more tens for two 20s.  The dealer had a face underneath his 4 and drew a 7, giving him 21.  We all lost (and I lost a ton), when we all would have won if the guy had just stayed…. So he cost me $700!  Those hands are literally the difference between leaving the cruise a winner and leaving a loser…

Not a gambler.  I guess the point here is 10's come up more often so by splitting his 10's the guy changed the odds the dealer would get a 10?  

44 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Not a gambler.  I guess the point here is 10's come up more often so by splitting his 10's the guy changed the odds the dealer would get a 10?  

In reality, it could have gone the other way. His splitting could have saved my $350 bet.  And if that had happened, I would have thanked him for doing the “wrong” thing.  Because it did hurt me (and him and the rest of the table), though, I blamed him.  However, if he had done the “right” thing and stayed, I wouldn’t have blamed him, whether it helped me or hurt me.  I can’t fault people for playing smart…

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Drew B 58 said:

In reality, it could have gone the other way. His splitting could have saved my $350 bet.  And if that had happened, I would have thanked him for doing the “wrong” thing.  Because it did hurt me (and him and the rest of the table), though, I blamed him.  However, if he had done the “right” thing and stayed, I wouldn’t have blamed him, whether it helped me or hurt me.  I can’t fault people for playing smart…

the worst is he had absolutely no respect for the big bet.  You got $350 on the table, he probably had 10 bucks, but he had a feeling....

1 hour ago, dbrown84 said:

the worst is he had absolutely no respect for the big bet.  You got $350 on the table, he probably had 10 bucks, but he had a feeling....

I think he had $25, the table minimum…

edited to add he had $50 because he split…

Edited by Drew B 58

12 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

wow.  shocked to hear that someone at a $25 table would do such a thing.  Oh well

I’ve seen terrible players betting $100+/hand and I’ve seen very good players at a $2 table (back in the day when those were a thing).

Having money and having sense are not the same thing!  😉

Edited by Drew B 58
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, davy jones said:

My theory is that they use minimal amounts of sugar to keep costs low.  Bread uses little or no sugar.

BTW - I find this to be the case on many cruise lines.

I have only sailed Carnival and MSC but before I even sailed MsC I have said it is amazing how Carnival can make a cake without flavour. 
I have rarely in my life met a cake I didn’t like but Carnival introduced me. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Drew B 58 said:

Deleted -- had a question about why it is bad to split 10s.  Found a consensus on the internet.  Thanks!     

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 4:16 PM, shiner6 said:

The desserts looked fabulous, but the taste did not match up. Make less, but make them taste better.

This is true with one exception: the FunFetti cheesecake served on embark day in the lido buffet on some, but not all, Carnival ships has a center layer of real cheesecake that has an exceptional sugary goodness to it. Later in the week, the buffet includes fake "cheesecake" that gelatin has been added to it to cut down on the amount of cream cheese used to save on food cost. We never touch those because the "cheesecake" bounces to the touch and there's never a jiggle to good cheesecake until it lands on the hips 🙂 Which Ships Serve Funfetti Cheesecake? - Carnival Cruise Lines - Cruise  Critic Community

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

We were on a Carnival cruise out of SF last year.  I saw the wonderful looking cakes displayed during lunch.  I went back after dinner and was disappointed they had been removed.   I don't understand that approach.  Maybe they fear people will want cake.  😃

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

We were on a Carnival cruise out of SF last year.  I saw the wonderful looking cakes displayed during lunch.  I went back after dinner and was disappointed they had been removed.   I don't understand that approach.  Maybe they fear people will want cake.  😃

Lunch cake is definitely > dinner cake.  By a wide, wide margin. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rainbowflag said:

Can you request a table for 2 using the Hub app or do you mean you walk-in, request and then begin your wait time? Thank you

You can indicate that you don't want to be seated with other guests at the time you check in with the Hub app 

On 10/21/2023 at 2:06 AM, dbrown84 said:

Why should he respect the "big" bet?  I couldn't care less what somebody else bets,  I'm gonna play my hand the way I want to.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crazyank said:

Why should he respect the "big" bet?  I couldn't care less what somebody else bets,  I'm gonna play my hand the way I want to.

hey, do you playa.  Everyone can simply leave and find another table

• Like 1

11 hours ago, staceyglow said:

You can indicate that you don't want to be seated with other guests at the time you check in with the Hub app 

We've seen that on the app and we asked about it and the maitre d' said it means "are you willing to sit at a shared table with others (like traditional seating) in order to be seated sooner." 

6 hours ago, crazyank said:

In this case, the guy splitting 10s was making one of the worst possible plays, and all for the very remote possibility of getting an extra $25 if the dealer busts, and with the very likely outcome  of costing the whole table their bets, including our hero with the large bet-

If I was there, after trying to politely explain in $ terms, why he shouldn't split, I might even offer to just give him the $25 to stand.

Blackjack success is about the proper play based on the math.

I have also been on the other side, at 3rd base with a minimum bet, and another player had started with a larger bet, with several splits/doubles and I had a hand that wasn't pat, and about 50/50 if better for me to hit or stand (dealer had a bust card up), and have deferred to the other player on the decision.

Edited by ngrund
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rainbowflag said:

We've seen that on the app and we asked about it and the maitre d' said it means "are you willing to sit at a shared table with others (like traditional seating) in order to be seated sooner." 

Correct. That's if you check the box. If you don't check the box, you will get your own table. 

My CCL pet peeve - John Heald. 
I’ve actually sailed with him before I even knew who he was. I initially liked him and his page on another social media. Maybe it was because I was following it closely during and post covid that I started noticing thing. I truly believe he either exaggerates the messages he receives in order to inflame people. Or he intentionally chooses to share the worst, knowing full well it doesn’t represent the majority. Or maybe both. I dislike the rage farming. But I guess it gets him read and clicks so who am I to criticize. 

I enjoyed the other posts with information, pictures from different trips and such. But I can’t follow it anymore because the baiting drives me crazy. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ngrund said:

In this case, the guy splitting 10s was making one of the worst possible plays, and all for the very remote possibility of getting an extra $25 if the dealer busts, and with the very likely outcome  of costing the whole table their bets, including our hero with the large bet-

If I was there, after trying to politely explain in $ terms, why he shouldn't split, I might even offer to just give him the $25 to stand.

I have also been on the other side, at 3rd base with a minimum bet, and another player had started with a larger bet, with several splits/doubles and I had a hand that wasn't pat, and about 50/50 if better for me to hit or stand (dealer had a bust card up), and have deferred to the other player on the decision.

excellent post.  I was going to post the same, but given this person's answer, I felt it would fall on deaf ears.  I have played with others with that attitude, and I've just cashed in my chips and went to another table.

-Individuals who stay all day in a hottub, never gettnig out, while drinking non-stop...who has a bladder that big? Nobody...😬

-People who insist on "joining" either the comedy show, magician, etc. with comments they think are either funny or cute.  Let the performers do their job and be quiet, quit ruining the show for others☹️

Edited by VaTech8912
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, crazyank said:

I completely agree.  Every player has a right to play their hand(s) however they like, including poorly.  The rest of us, though, have every right to complain when their poor play affects us adversely…

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ngrund said:

It could always go either way.  That’s why it’s called gambling.  His poor choice could have saved the whole table.  I’m not a statistician, so I can’t say whether playing “correctly” is more likely to harm or help others.  I just know it is more likely to benefit the player him/herself in the long run.  

However, in a case like this where we could all see that it harmed the whole table (including that player himself), it’s only natural to feel upset that he didn’t choose differently…

• Like 2