Israel cruises

3 hours ago, richmke said:

Exodus 35:1-3 "Do not light a fire in any of your dwellings on the Sabbath day." Mechanical light switches have a spark (internal) when the wires make or break contact. Some interpret that as "lighting" or "kindling" a fire. 

Thanks for explaining that. It makes sense now. However with more and more residential buildings having security entrances it's a problem. 

• Like 3

No driving or riding on public transport on the Sabbath either therefore walking to Shule is the thing.  If it's raining, too bad.  No opening up of umbrellas allowed.  That is deemed as building a tent which is work and therefore forbidden.

• Like 1

I was raised as a Methodist.  I married a Catholic and converted.  I can now drink, buy a lottery ticket and like most people my age, enjoyed the odd cigarette decades ago (but after conversion of course😉

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Plenty of Jewish Doctors, I had one in Sutherland Shire. He worked Fridays. Same with Jewish Military and Police, they work on Fridays.

I believe it is ok up until sunset.  We had neighbours who were Jewish and we had to move their car from the street into their garage one Friday night and turn on their lights when they got home after sunset and were unable to do either.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I've never been able to understand that rule. My understanding is that it's a 'do no work on the Sabbath" rule that has been in place long before electricity was discovered. I really don't understand how flicking a switch is "work". We used to own a rental property in Elsternwick, VIC. There were a few Jewish people living in the block of flats and we had real security issues with one family who would chock the security door, into one half of the block, open on Saturdays because their friends liked to visit them on that day but wouldn't/couldn't press the outside doorbell to get access. This meant that anyone could access that part of the building and we had troublemakers living in the other part who would regularly damage carpets and other fittings in the stairways. It was a real problem. 😡

I live on the border of Caulfield South and Elsternwick and fully understand what it would have been like.  I walk to Elsternwick every day for exercise and coffee and pass the Hamerkaz Centre which has always had security outside, however these guards have been carrying pistols for the past 6 weeks.  Makes me feel nervous in case they ever use them.  All their schools and cultural centres have always had guards outside.  It has always been them and us around here despite many of them being friends.  There is always a divide.

Edited by Ondine

I can understand cruise lines cancelling ports in the area (and would think they are very wise to do so). Disappointing for those who were looking forward to visiting specific ports. 

I don't want to get into politics but IMO whilst the attack by Hamas was terrible and has provoked a swift response from Israel declaring the country at war, it is just the last in a long history of conflict in the region. The refusal by some to allow a 2 state solution which many have proposed does not bode well for peace at any time in the foreseeable future. Cruises may be opting to not visit for quite a long time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

There is no way of knowing how long the war will last, and that will have cruiselines making alternate arrangements on a more permanent basis for quite some time.

Cruise lines will navigate as close to a cyclone or hurricane as is safely possible. Rhapsody of the Seas has been based in Haifa, yet so far have only cancelled some cruises up till the end of October. There are 2 more cruises to complete the season, and Royal is still selling them in the hope they will be able to sail from Haifa on 1st November.

8 hours ago, NSWP said:

Plenty of Jewish Doctors, I had one in Sutherland Shire. He worked Fridays. Same with Jewish Military and Police, they work on Fridays.

Work is allowed if it is to preserve human life or health. In fact most of the rules can be broken for that reason. Also as noted above, the Sabbath is from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday.