Help needed re visa requirement advice.

Spot482

Hello 

I have a  back to back crossing booked for June 2024 and have no intention of leaving the ship while docked in New York , does anybody know if a visa is required as I will not be setting foot on the mainland  or have experience of doing the same ? I have looked at the US Embassy site and cannot find an answer , I have phoned the ESTA help desk and they told me one was required but to be honest the person I spoke with did not inspire confidence and apparently had never heard of an ocean liner by the name of Queen Mary 2. I have completed the DS-160 but  if possible I would prefer not to have to take a trip to London or to pay $185 fee if it is not really necessary.

Thanks     

The ship has to be zeroed out in New York and you will have to get off and go through immigration.  You don't have to leave the terminal and can get back on when they are ready to let people back on board. 

I'll let someone familiar with the in-transit ESTA process address that question.

6 minutes ago, Spot482 said:

Hello 

I have a  back to back crossing booked for June 2024 and have no intention of leaving the ship while docked in New York , does anybody know if a visa is required as I will not be setting foot on the mainland  or have experience of doing the same ? I have looked at the US Embassy site and cannot find an answer , I have phoned the ESTA help desk and they told me one was required but to be honest the person I spoke with did not inspire confidence and apparently had never heard of an ocean liner by the name of Queen Mary 2. I have completed the DS-160 but  if possible I would prefer not to have to take a trip to London or to pay $185 fee if it is not really necessary.

Thanks     

$185?
Official Gov Website confirms price 

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/faq?lang=en

Official Gov Application Website 

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov

We've done the round trip several times. The most recent was August this year.

I can confirm, that WITHOUT an ESTA, you will not be allowed to board the ship at Soton.

As has been stated, you must leave the ship and go through immigration. After that. it's up tp you whether you board immediately, or go over on the ferry and explore Manhatten etc..

Us the official site that Port Royal has listed.

You only have to visit London for a visa if the ESTA is denied.

Edited by BigMac1953
  • Like 1

Hello

Thanks for that . Cunard tell me that since the end of the pandemic there is no longer a requirement to disembark which may account for the lack of information available . I have submitted an ESTA request giving the cruise terminal as the contact address, fingers crossed that will suffice, if not London here I come.  

7 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

We've done the round trip several times. The most recent was August this year.

I can confirm, that WITHOUT an ESTA, you will not be allowed to board the ship at Soton.

As has been stated, you must leave the ship and go through immigration. After that. it's up tp you whether you board immediately, or go over on the ferry and explore Manhatten etc..

Us the official site that Port Royal has listed.

You only have to visit London for a visa if the ESTA is denied.

I can concur . They checked my ESTA at embarkation. They had a paper list they were checking names against . The online application result was back in a few hours. Can’t remember cost but it was under 25 $ Lasts 2 years I think. I got mine several months in advance and took the printed copy with me. When I went through immigration in NY he said he didn’t need to see it as it was recorded against my passport . I was only in transit too and just spent a few hours on a Cunard excursion. 

33 minutes ago, Spot482 said:

Cunard tell me that since the end of the pandemic there is no longer a requirement to disembark which may account for the lack of information available

There has always been the need for all passengers and crew to disembark and go through immigration when entering any US port.

Depending on the size of the ship, and how many homeland security staff are on duty, it can take anything up to six hours so if you do not intend leaving the terminal don't rush to get off first as from memory NY cruise terminal is not the most comfortable and welcoming.

9 minutes ago, david63 said:

There has always been the need for all passengers and crew to disembark and go through immigration when entering any US port.

Depending on the size of the ship, and how many homeland security staff are on duty, it can take anything up to six hours so if you do not intend leaving the terminal don't rush to get off first as from memory NY cruise terminal is not the most comfortable and welcoming.

OK

Thanks for that , Cunard apparently giving me duff info  

yes requirement to leave ship and go through immigration even if you dont intend to visit NY is PITA

we qued for ages and then had a boring 2 hour wait in terminal building before being allowed back o board

if did again in future would do cheapest ship excursion for highlights of new york so at least a more productive use of time as have to apply for ESTA anyway-$14 for 2 years

2 minutes ago, fabnfortysomething said:

$14 for 2 years

Looks like it increased to $21 in May last year.

Next time we'll take a ferry trip to Bay Ridge and back to get some close ups of QM2. Then walk to The Red Hook Lobster Pound for lunch and return to re-board.

20 hours ago, Spot482 said:

Hello

Thanks for that . Cunard tell me that since the end of the pandemic there is no longer a requirement to disembark which may account for the lack of information available . I have submitted an ESTA request giving the cruise terminal as the contact address, fingers crossed that will suffice, if not London here I come.  

We were on QM2 roundtrip TA  in May this year and everyone had to disembark the ship and go through immigration. What Cunard told you is incorrect, they ask you when you are embark at Southampton if you have a current ESTA. The cost of an ESTA is $21 per person and make sure you purchase one from official US government website.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fabnfortysomething said:

yes requirement to leave ship and go through immigration even if you dont intend to visit NY is PITA

we qued for ages and then had a boring 2 hour wait in terminal building before being allowed back o board

if did again in future would do cheapest ship excursion for highlights of new york so at least a more productive use of time as have to apply for ESTA anyway-$14 for 2 years

Price has increased now $21

• Like 1

I use a visa, it lasts 10 years rather than ESTA (not entirely by choice, I've visited some dodgy countries such as Iran) and you are allowed to stay 6 months at a time rather than 90 days. Unlike ESTAs it survives a passport renewal too. So it has some advantages.

But the Cunard advice is mystifying. USA has never had a concept of transit, you either enter the USA or you aren't anywhere near the USA. When Air New Zealand used to serve Heathrow to Auckland, it would make a refuelling stop in Los Angeles, you can't get to NZ non stop then or now. We would all have to get off the aircraft, get formally admitted into the USA, then clamber back into the same aircraft, same seat, and leave the USA less than an hour later. 

So it's always been the case that Southampton would check your ESTA (electronically) or visa (visual). The other thing to do, before arrival, is to be clear what you are going to do when you get to Brooklyn - return back on board or go into NYC. The CBP in the Terminal may ask you about your plans and it's good to give a confident answer.

15 hours ago, Pushpit said:

USA has never had a concept of transit, you either enter the USA or you aren't anywhere near the USA. When Air New Zealand used to serve Heathrow to Auckland, it would make a refuelling stop in Los Angeles, you can't get to NZ non stop then or now. We would all have to get off the aircraft, get formally admitted into the USA, then clamber back into the same aircraft, same seat, and leave the USA less than an hour later. 

What about flying over the USA to Mexico? Don't you need ESTA for that even if the plane doesn't land? And what I don't get is the need of ESTA for an eastbound T/A . I was asked for it on the NCL Pearl and Anthem. Yet you are leaving the country it doesn't have be vaild when you exit only when you enter.

And you can board without the esta in your hand they will just hound you the entire cruise till you show them the paper print out. A lot of people on the first day use the printer to print it off.

Edited by ace2542

8 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

They don't have the tiime at the airport or terminal to closely check every person.

When was the last time you entered the USA?

I have entered by both plane and ship in the last few years and airport took about two hours get through and a cruise ship can take around six hours - so yes they do check closely.

4 minutes ago, david63 said:

When was the last time you entered the USA?

I have entered by both plane and ship in the last few years and airport took about two hours get through and a cruise ship can take around six hours - so yes they do check closely.

5 months ago JFK with wheelchair assistance for my father for our ill fated T/A. I was never asked what I do for a job etc etc just asked the plans. I was sent into secondary first time ever because I give a bit of attiitude to the officer passport was handed back with no questions asked.

We must have been lucky having done a number of roundtrip TAs and have always got off first thing when others self disembark and have gone through customs in a master of minutes. On more than one occasion we have caught NY Ferry and been in Wall Street for 7-30am to 8am.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

We must have been lucky having done a number of roundtrip TAs and have always got off first thing when others self disembark and have gone through customs in a master of minutes. On more than one occasion we have caught NY Ferry and been in Wall Street for 7-30am to 8am.

Have you ever done Dublin preclearance? I am doing that in April. I am worried a bit. That might be a quite tight timetable.

4 hours ago, ace2542 said:

What about flying over the USA to Mexico? Don't you need ESTA for that even if the plane doesn't land? And what I don't get is the need of ESTA for an eastbound T/A . I was asked for it on the NCL Pearl and Anthem. Yet you are leaving the country it doesn't have be vaild when you exit only when you enter.

And you can board without the esta in your hand they will just hound you the entire cruise till you show them the paper print out. A lot of people on the first day use the printer to print it off.

ESTA exit is recorded against the entry record, to check on over-stayers. Same with visas too, and that's a DHS requirement. There's a passport scan and aliens need to have that recorded against entry method.  There are a few exceptions (e.g. Canadians and Bermuda Brits).

Usually cruise companies can find your ESTA by sending an echo message back to the DHS, with passport number, name and date of birth, the ESTA number itself isn't needed. The DHS sends a reply back saying "OK" if it matches on the DHS system, problem over. If it doesn't match - or the link goes down - then cruise companies (and airlines) seek printed records to cover themselves if challenged.  I don't know about NCL but the problem Cunard used to have was that their own internal internet wasn't too reliable on board. So say you somehow blabbed your way on to the vessel departing New York without the ESTA reconciliation - the people doing the checks in Brooklyn/Manhattan are not employed by Cunard, they are contractors from the Port Authority so they aren't very much bothered. Then onboard it could get very tricky to get the ESTA link to DHS working. So to cover themselves they would ask for a printed record instead.

Overflying the USA does not constitute entry, luckily. The other exception are pre-clearance countries such as Canada and Ireland, but the checks are just done by the CBP inside Canada, Dublin or Shannon, rather than in the USA.

2 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

ESTA exit is recorded against the entry record, to check on over-stayers. Same with visas too, and that's a DHS requirement. There's a passport scan and aliens need to have that recorded against entry method.  There are a few exceptions (e.g. Canadians and Bermuda Brits).

Usually cruise companies can find your ESTA by sending an echo message back to the DHS, with passport number, name and date of birth, the ESTA number itself isn't needed. The DHS sends a reply back saying "OK" if it matches on the DHS system, problem over. If it doesn't match - or the link goes down - then cruise companies (and airlines) seek printed records to cover themselves if challenged.  I don't know about NCL but the problem Cunard used to have was that their own internal internet wasn't too reliable on board. So say you somehow blabbed your way on to the vessel departing New York without the ESTA reconciliation - the people doing the checks in Brooklyn/Manhattan are not employed by Cunard, they are contractors from the Port Authority so they aren't very much bothered. Then onboard it could get very tricky to get the ESTA link to DHS working. So to cover themselves they would ask for a printed record instead.

Overflying the USA does not constitute entry, luckily. The other exception are pre-clearance countries such as Canada and Ireland, but the checks are just done by the CBP inside Canada, Dublin or Shannon, rather than in the USA.

But you don't get a print recorded of every entry you only get the 2 year approval? And you don't need the approval date to be current when you leave the country only when you enter? And you can enter with a couple of days left on the esta and be granted 90 day visa waiver admission.

31 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

I always used to think I’d turned blue when I found myself described as an alien.🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

But you don't get a print recorded of every entry you only get the 2 year approval? And you don't need the approval date to be current when you leave the country only when you enter? And you can enter with a couple of days left on the esta and be granted 90 day visa waiver admission.

All the above is correct. But the bit that's on top is that there is an important and federally mandated digital record created for every arrival and departure, and if you go on to the DHS website you can find a partial version of your own arrival and departure records, in my case it goes back a scary, scary long time.

Now reading between the lines of your posts, I surmise, perhaps incorrectly, that you had a problem on a shipping line other than Cunard. You arrived on a close-to-expiry ESTA, got the 90 day stamp / slip (now largely abolished) and then left the USA within that period, however your ESTA had expired. And that cruise company then struggled to clear you off their system and thus wanted a paper copy, which was irksome.

If that's the case, then my posts above should clarify why that happened. When That Cruise Company pings the DHS with your departure record, it's just like when you go the other direction from Europe to the USA: the DHS sends a ping back, all OK, nothing more to worry about. The ping from That Cruise Company is the same in both directions, but there is a direction put on the record. Because your ESTA had expired, the DHS did not send the ping back saying "OK". That Cruise Company then was in a quandry - would they be fined? Were you an illegal? Was everything ok? So to cover the staff/company they ask to see the paper ESTA. The guidance on ESTA says that paper copies are not necessary but can be useful.

Obviously you should check your DHS record to see if all is OK, I expect it would be. If you had instead immediately renewed your ESTA - which doubtless you would have seen as unnecessary, then the ping should have come back "OK" and you would not have been hassled. If you were in Secondary after that incident then your record may have not been OK at that point.

Applying for an ESTA as a UK citizen is fast, cheap and painless. My next visit to the States is in December and I will apply a couple of weeks before. I always carry a paper copy and on one transatlantic voyage I was required to show it at check in or boarding would have been denied.

• Like 1