Some clarifications for OBC and Final Statements

Funsun60

I have a couple of questions:

1. My spouse and I each have a $100 OBC. Are these credits automatically applied to our account? Does it matter that the credits are listed for each of us separately? The cruise is registered under my spouse's name. I have read on other  topics that people want to apply their credits for specific expenditures. Do we need to tell the front desk where we want to apply the credits or can it just be automatically taken off the total bill?

2. Final financial statement. Do we get a final paper bill that shows all our expenses ? If not, how do we obtain a permanent record to review the account to make sure it is accurate and then follow up if we have questions/concerns.

Thanks for your patience in helping us understand how all this works

23 minutes ago, Funsun60 said:

I have a couple of questions:

1. My spouse and I each have a $100 OBC. Are these credits automatically applied to our account? Does it matter that the credits are listed for each of us separately? The cruise is registered under my spouse's name. I have read on other  topics that people want to apply their credits for specific expenditures. Do we need to tell the front desk where we want to apply the credits or can it just be automatically taken off the total bill?

2. Final financial statement. Do we get a final paper bill that shows all our expenses ? If not, how do we obtain a permanent record to review the account to make sure it is accurate and then follow up if we have questions/concerns.

Thanks for your patience in helping us understand how all this works

I'll answer #2 - you will NOT automatically receive a final statement- if you want a final statement before you disembark (which I strongly recommend) you will need to do that either very late night the last night or very early final morning. I get 2 - one I pdf from the Navigator App when I finish breakfast before I head out to leave the ship; I pdf it so I have an easy-to-access electronic copy just in case it'sever needed. The other one I get printed out from Guest Services the final morning after breakfast; I stop by on way back to cabin to grab my stuff then leave the ship. This times very closely to the pdf I got from Navigator. I compare the 2 and if there's a discrepancy or any errors, I stop back by Guest Services before leaving.

Then, once you're home, a few days after the end of the cruise, a pdf version will be available on both Navigator App and website. I download that and compare it to the final one I got from the ship.

If you have an error that shows up, or a charge you want to dispute, it's important you have the final one from the ship as a reference.

I have only had 1 post-cruise error that I had to have fixed. I hope yours goes smoothly. 

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment

The OBC will be automatically applied to your onboard account. However, every once in awhile it doesn't get applied. Most of us bring proof with us - hard copy works best. The account will be in the name of Passenger 1 - in this case, your wife will be the account holder - unless you listed separate credit cards when filling out the check-in documentation. The OBC for both of you will show in her account. All charges will be deducted from your OBC until it is exhausted. If you have both non-refundable and refundable OBC, the non-refundable OBC will be used first.

You will not receive a paper bill automatically. You can request one from Guest Services if you need one. Your stateroom TV and Navigator app will show your account while onboard. If you have a laptop or tablet, you can also view the account on it. If you have Navigator app installed on your smartphone, the account will be visible even after you disembark. I don't use a smartphone, so I do one or both of two things: 1) take a photo of the TV display 2) save the account as shown on my laptop as a PDF. Recently, PDF statements have been posted to online accounts for all cruises. My husband's statements go back to our first HAL cruise as he has been Passenger 1. Mine all show $0.00 for charges and balances.

Although the Navigator app gets a lot of bad press here, it is very usefull when onboard as not only can you check your account, you can also use the 'Let us Know' feature to advise them of any errors on the account.  This saves your time queueing at Guest Services.  We had a couple of errors on our account (drinks charged which were part of package) and we sent a note on the Let us Know and the error was credited within 24 hours.

Remember that is your OBC is from HAL then it is probably non refundable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I suggest reviewing your statement each day on the TV in your cabin. I find it easier to catch any errors while purchases/charges are still fresh in your memory.

Edited by Sea42
  • Like 2

Your statement can be broken down into refundable (which balances will returned to your credit card at end) and non refundable (which you must use or lose it). But I doubt you will have trouble using the $200 OBC.

Also, you didn't ask but excursion credits (like with HIA) ARE passenger specific so each person has to use their specific amount as they are not combined to cabin statement like OBC. Just FYI.