Viva Live 21 days, Rome to Miami, plus a few days in Rome

JIMESOPUS

Jim,

My wife and I will be on the ship with you from Rome to Lisbon. Do you know how many dressy nights will be on the 10 day? We haven't been on NCL in a while but remember from years ago in the Caribbean, things were fairly casual. But I would guess the Med would be more dressy.

@bluefish17  NCL is still Freestyle cruising, we have seen folks dressed up every night while others are more casual. So it's up to you, if you feel more comfortable wearing a suit then go for it. For me, most nights will be dockers or jeans and button-down shirts. Also packed a couple of Hawaiian shirts.

Carol may have a dress planned but I think it might just be slacks and whatever blouse goes with that color.  

Should also add that there is one event called Norwegian Night Out or Dress Up the Night where you may see more folks dressed up. 

Hope that helps, see you aboard.

Jim

On 10/27/2023 at 5:51 PM, JIMESOPUS said:

Starlink will work in the middle of nowhere? With a lower altitude orbit will there be gaps in coverage?

We just left Ponta Delgada for our five day Atlantic crossing on the Getaway heading to Manhattan. The Captain announced yesterday that we would arrive port three hours later than scheduled because we had to sail at reduced speed from Lisbon due to the rough waves. Indeed, outdoor activities were canceled, the pools in the spa were closed, and the barf bags were out.

Regarding Starlink and wifi on board so far...perhaps this is an admission against my own interest, but what's a few secrets between CC friends.

I have the regular unlimited wifi package, not the premium package for streaming and VPN usage. However, I have been able to use VPN and stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, Disney+, etc. (okay, that is revealing way too much about myself).

If I log off VPN, I can still stream Amazon Prime, but the selection is limited, likely due to distribution and copyrights.

Shhhhhhh....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Sugar Magnolia Thanks for the, well you know, yeah that secret. Looks like the worst is behind you, fair seas ahead. 

image.png.20492f0462b8405a03277fc74b827dfc.png

I have a secret, well not really but the Escape will be back in NYC in the winter of 2025, the Prima schedule for NYC is heading to Texas in early January 2025, a nice 15-day repo cruise from NYC to Galveston. Of course, that person said it's only in the planning stages but since the announced changes in the Escape and Prima itineraries for 1/25 guess it's going to happen. Still have hopes for a Jewel class ship in NYC

Safe travels and we'll keep a light on

Jim

• Like 4

Received a rejection notice today of the Diamond upgrade request, were attempting to use it on the January cruise.

Still think platinum status has the best perks.

The weather forecast for Rome not looking too good right now and sail away looks to be rainy.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Received a rejection notice today of the Diamond upgrade request, were attempting to use it on the January cruise.

Still think platinum status has the best perks.

The weather forecast for Rome not looking too good right now and sail away looks to be rainy.  

In spite of the weather, I hope you have a wonderful cruise.  I have a friend joining the cruise in Lisbon.

• Like 1

Those Diamond upgrade are said to be tricky at times, oh well - we'll test our luck soon, sometime in 2024 once we're climb up.  Agreed that cleaning underwear + spare are a must.  T minus 3 weeks out too, trailing your crossing by a few days.  Looking forward to the Ponta Delgada stop as DW wanted to do some local shopping there.  Any luck booking the main shows on the Viva ... having issues too and did a live NCL chat 🙄 😬 😠 😉 😤 useless.  Not yet ready to decide how many star ratings with that aspect of an upcoming review - wasn't another "weekend" thing with I.T. off their jobs.  Online check-in completed 

Wishing you & others happy and safe travel & cruising - wonderful Halloween ahead. 

@Sugar Magnolia - Arriving 3 hours later into MCT, 5 days or so from leaving PD is likely anxiety provoking for some of the GA cruisers onboard.  Have a great crossing, fair weather & calm seas - what's onboard with "major" entertainment 😆 ... maybe, NCL can bring back the crew's talent shows, LOL 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

@Sugar Magnolia - Arriving 3 hours later into MCT, 5 days or so from leaving PD is likely anxiety provoking for some of the GA cruisers onboard.  Have a great crossing, fair weather & calm seas - what's onboard with "major" entertainment 😆 ... maybe, NCL can bring back the crew's talent shows, LOL 

The three hour delay was for arriving Ponta Delgada not MCT. The seas were choppy from Lisbon to PD. Much calmer at the moment. 

Would love to see the crew talent show again. 

• Like 2

@mking8288 No luck in booking the main entertainment, yes it's getting old very fast with NCL IT issues.

Surprised, not really by the Diamond denial email, there are plenty of balconies left on that cruise.

Always seem to be cruising near or on Halloween, last year we sailed with that famous @graphicguyon the BA.

Fingers crossed that the info supplied on the Star is correct about the Escape and that unnamed Jewel class ship ( Gem my best guess ) coming to NYC in the winter of 2025. Wouldn't mind doubling up and getting out of the cold NY winter for several weeks.

Safe travels to you and your wife

Jim 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Looking forward to the Ponta Delgada stop as DW wanted to do some local shopping there. 

Hopefully, you will not port in Ponta Delgada on a Sunday. Other than souvenir shops and a few cafes, the town was shut down when we ported on Sunday. Though I was not looking to shop, I was disappointed that I missed out on another Portugese seafood meal.

Safe travels.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Hopefully, you will not port in Ponta Delgada on a Sunday. Other than souvenir shops and a few cafes, the town was shut down when we ported on Sunday. Though I was not looking to shop, I was disappointed that I missed out on another Portugese seafood meal.

We will be there on Saturday guess you are in luck this time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Hopefully, you will not port in Ponta Delgada on a Sunday. Other than souvenir shops and a few cafes, the town was shut down ... disappointed that I missed out on another Portugese seafood meal.

Thankfully, we stopped there on Thanksgiving Eve & should be good. Peril of speed reading, did your PD stay got shortened by the 3 hours delay ?? or sail later than ?  Ours from 9 to 4 PM, shorter than last time on the Epic - have a shared private tour to see the lakes, wish us luck.  Going to be a challenge to squeeze time to shop quickly & grab a nice lunch before all abroad time.  Psst ... one can find good & inexpensive wine produced locally & carry them onboard ... port security do screening & x-ray of belongings inside the terminal & ship personnel only "swipe" the keycard.   Zero corkage $$ for all.   Happy to know about Starlink - cheers !! 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guess I misunderstood Carol, when she said we would live out of the kitchen instead of shopping she didn't include the liquor cabinet. At least tonight I learned some Italian. This bottle of Limoncello was a gift from my Son and DIL honeymoon in Italy.  

Lemon Drop Martinis, double of course - sugar-coated rims, guess I was paying attention at the Martini tasting on the Star hope the ones on the Viva are educational as well, yes I broke the rule about posting and under the influence. 

Happy Halloween 👻

Jim 

IMG_5270.JPG

IMG_5273.JPG

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Thankfully, we stopped there on Thanksgiving Eve & should be good. Peril of speed reading, did your PD stay got shortened by the 3 hours delay ?? or sail later than ?  Ours from 9 to 4 PM, shorter than last time on the Epic - have a shared private tour to see the lakes, wish us luck.  Going to be a challenge to squeeze time to shop quickly & grab a nice lunch before all abroad time.  Psst ... one can find good & inexpensive wine produced locally & carry them onboard ... port security do screening & x-ray of belongings inside the terminal & ship personnel only "swipe" the keycard.   Zero corkage $$ for all.   Happy to know about Starlink - cheers !! 

Since our arrival into Ponta Delgada was delayed by three hours, our all aboard time was extended by one hour. Still, I did not take advantage of the extension as the better restaurants in town were closed. I was not really feeling it for the Home of the Whopper. 

However, I am excited to port in PD again off the Viva and will look for seafood and pineapples. 

Starlink wifi still going strong on our second day into the Atlantic crossing. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Always seem to be cruising near or on Halloween, last year we sailed with that famous @graphicguyon the BA.

Fingers crossed that the info supplied on the Star is correct about the Escape and that unnamed Jewel class ship ( Gem my best guess ) coming to NYC in the winter of 2025. Wouldn't mind doubling up and getting out of the cold NY winter for several weeks.

I was on that BA Halloween cruise as well but I guess I missed both you and that famous @graphicguy…my loss. 

Would love to have the Gem back in NYC and the Escape as well. I am done with the BA and GA for awhile. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/30/2023 at 2:26 PM, JIMESOPUS said:

@mking8288 No luck in booking the main entertainment, yes it's getting old very fast with NCL IT issues.

Surprised, not really by the Diamond denial email, there are plenty of balconies left on that cruise.

Safe travels to you and your wife

Jim 

Famous?  Hardly!

Infamous?  Most definitely!

That was one of my fave cruises!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I was on that BA Halloween cruise as well but I guess I missed both you and that famous @graphicguy…my loss. 

Would love to have the Gem back in NYC and the Escape as well. I am done with the BA and GA for awhile. 

I do remember you were on that cruise!  Sorry I missed you.

There were a good amount of CC-ers on that cruise!

• Like 2

On 10/30/2023 at 10:24 PM, JIMESOPUS said:

Guess I misunderstood Carol, when she said we would live out of the kitchen instead of shopping she didn't include the liquor cabinet. At least tonight I learned some Italian. This bottle of Limoncello was a gift from my Son and DIL honeymoon in Italy.  

Lemon Drop Martinis, double of course - sugar-coated rims, guess I was paying attention at the Martini tasting on the Star hope the ones on the Viva are educational as well, yes I broke the rule about posting and under the influence. 

Happy Halloween 👻

Jim 

IMG_5270.JPG

IMG_5273.JPG

Hear-Tell “Limoncello” does make you smarter!!!! 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 10/31/2023 at 7:22 AM, Sugar Magnolia said:

I was not really feeling it for the Home of the Whopper. 

Is Ponta Delgada the port with the Burger King right there? I remember seeing a port with a BK but can't remember where it was. Hey, I'm old and I can't remember what I had for breakfast an hour ago...

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Is Ponta Delgada the port with the Burger King right there? I remember seeing a port with a BK but can't remember where it was. Hey, I'm old and I can't remember what I had for breakfast an hour ago...

Yes, there is indeed a Burger King at the Ponta Delgada port. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Yes, there is indeed a Burger King at the Ponta Delgada port. 

Support local businesses in PD, these deals are amazing - skip BK ... yummy good, just a short walk from the waterfront. We are going to try to maximize our time there later this month 😁  Hola, just point & order although they do speak some English ... or live Google Translate it. Collage_2023-11-01_18_00_58.thumb.jpg.3101d79cc481e5313800a25ef9acaf31.jpg

Collage_2023-11-01_18_04_36.thumb.jpg.22fe2c88d7267dc4d8425e49602bb754.jpg

• Like 2