How much of a step up is Princess Grill vs Britannia on QM2?

Gomac

We have 5 Cunard voyages under our belt and have our first PG voyage on QE coming up next month which is very exciting. 

We have our first TA booked for January and are tempted to bid for an upgrade to PG (at around £900 each) given we got a great price on the sheltered balcony already. 

Our main value proposition would be the dining, is PG on the QM2 substantially better? The overall Grills set up doesn’t seem quite as impressive as the QE but the cabin looks more impressive.

The PG cabins are much more spacious on QM2 than QV and QE and given you are on a TA you will get full use of the dining room.  The grills lounge is not as nice and I can’t imagine you will get much use of the grills terrace in January.  You have to decide if a more select dining experience is worth a punt for £1800. 

• Thanks 1

Having been on both cabin grades on QM2, I strongly believe that the move to PG for a TA is worth it. The rooms are very livable with a large bathroom and a real walk-in closet along with four other wardrobes are a plus. 
The dining and dining service was fantastic and we enjoyed the Grills lounge for Afternoon Tea and drinks. Wonderful service there too. They know you after the first visit. You’ll get a lot out of the PG upgrade on a TA. 
We’re going on PG first time next year on QE and interested to see the difference. I found the balcony rooms on QE are too small, especially the bathrooms. The Vista PG suites don’t look as inviting vs QM2, especially in the storage and bathroom areas but I’m sure all will be good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have crossed twice in PG and believe it was worth every penny. The service and food were exceptional and nothing was too much trouble. The PG rooms on QM2 are much nicer than the QV/QM but they have a better location for the restaurant.

If you do it , I’m sure you won’t regret it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gomac said:

our first PG voyage on QE coming up next month

1 hour ago, NE John said:

We’re going on PG first time next year on QE

Gomac,

We got off the QE last month having sailed for the first time in PG. We were amazed and thought the value proposition was definitely there. It exceeded all of our exceptions which were quite high. However, it is all what you make of it. My comments on the voyage are in the attached thread.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2957434-la-to-ft-lauderdale-via-the-panama-canal-on-the-qe/
If you would like to see a picture montage of our PG experience on the QE, you can go to YouTube and search "HGQE 2023". Make sure to include the quote marks. Its kind of hokey and long but may give you some sense of the experience. 
When it comes to the QM2, for us the sweet spot is BC. The PG restaurant on the QM2 looks out onto the promenade deck and in some spots the view of the water is blocked by the ships superstructure. Also, the Grills lounge on the QM2 has no view. On the QE the Grills lounge looks out over the Grills terrace. BC dining on the QM2 gives you any-time dining at a table reserved strictly for your party, breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Grills Terrace in the QM2 pales in comparison to that on the QE and as Pear Carr pointed out, you probably won't get much use of it in January. With that said, if you can get the PG upgrade for $900/pp, I'd go for it. If you do, and are successful, would love to see how you compare the two PG experiences.
Jack
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

search "HGQE 2023"

Well done video production! Good mix of still pictures and live action. Perfect soundtrack. Time well spent for you making it and us watching. 

Edited by NE John

For us, it's all about the real estate.  In other words, we fully use and enjoy the extra space in our PG stateroom.  And the PG stateroom on the QM2 is noticeably larger than PG on the QE or QV.  On the QM2 we do take advantage of the Concierge, as well as the Concierge Lounge and the Grills Lounge, although I do admit that the interior design of both of these lounges is far from luxurious.  As to dining, to each his own.  We find the Britannia restaurant more grand in design than PG, and we find the food comparable in both restaurants, with a few extra choices for dinner in PG.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tv24 said:

And the PG stateroom on the QM2 is noticeably larger than PG on the QE or QV.

Actually, they are all almost exactly the same area in terms of square feet. The layout on QM2 definitely makes it feel significantly more spacious. 

• Like 2

My wife maintains PG cabins on QE/QV are much superior to those on QM2.  I could not disagree more... those on QM2 are not only far more attractive in decor but offer a substantial square of usable and livable space instead of a narrow corridor with a bed to saddle around.  The bathtubs on QE/QV are much better though but "they" tell us we don't want bathtubs at all and why we should eagerly anticipate QA with no tubs in PG.  

I am not sure how one can assert there is "no view" from the QM2's Grill Lounge... there is a solid bank of windows looking onto the best view in the world: a proper boat deck and the expanses of sea beyond it. It is a lot more spacious feeling than the Grill Lounges on QE/QV and I frankly prefer the plainer, more contemporary decor, too.  In January 2022, they even had the occasional live music there but I suspect that, like much else, is gone now. Afternoon tea is properly served there.... not sitting at someone else's table in the PG dining room.  I hate that.  

The Grills Terrace and dedicated outdoor space on QE/QV are, of course, leagues better than QM2.  No comparison.  

The difference to upgrade seems a bargain to me when BA is offering you a "deal" of $799 to go from World Traveller Premium to Business Class. And you can argue that on a crossing you will be using the ship far more than on a cruise. 

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for the feedback. Given the price and the fact it’s a TA we’ve decide to put in a a bid, so fingers crossed. I will report back if we are successful.  

in the meantime we are excited for our QE PG in a few weeks time! 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 2:32 PM, Jack E Dawson said:

Gomac,

We got off the QE last month having sailed for the first time in PG. We were amazed and thought the value proposition was definitely there. It exceeded all of our exceptions which were quite high. However, it is all what you make of it. My comments on the voyage are in the attached thread.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2957434-la-to-ft-lauderdale-via-the-panama-canal-on-the-qe/
If you would like to see a picture montage of our PG experience on the QE, you can go to YouTube and search "HGQE 2023". Make sure to include the quote marks. Its kind of hokey and long but may give you some sense of the experience. 
When it comes to the QM2, for us the sweet spot is BC. The PG restaurant on the QM2 looks out onto the promenade deck and in some spots the view of the water is blocked by the ships superstructure. Also, the Grills lounge on the QM2 has no view. On the QE the Grills lounge looks out over the Grills terrace. BC dining on the QM2 gives you any-time dining at a table reserved strictly for your party, breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Grills Terrace in the QM2 pales in comparison to that on the QE and as Pear Carr pointed out, you probably won't get much use of it in January. With that said, if you can get the PG upgrade for $900/pp, I'd go for it. If you do, and are successful, would love to see how you compare the two PG experiences.
Jack

Thank you Jack for the detailed feedback. 

We loved watching your video, it got us really excited for our QE in a few weeks! We’ve watched every Cunard video on YouTube but didn’t come across this one given the title!

…. Also glad to see Chateaubriand on the Al a carte menu still being available 🙂  

22 hours ago, Gomac said:

Also glad to see Chateaubriand on the Al a carte menu still being available

A la carte menu changes and may offer Chateaubriand or 28 day aged steak and Turbot or Dover sole. Such problems…

• Like 1

I think Dover Sole was on the PG A La Carte on the first week of our Greek Islands then it changed - I may be wrong about this but I'm sure that the next table had it on the second night, not that I was spying on them

Actually it was poached Dover Sole... not off the bone, served a la carte.  My wife practically lived off that aboard QE in Sept 2022 but it was conspicously missing in May aboard QV and not coming back alas. 

You don't spy on what fellow diners are scoring? I thought everyone did that...

• Like 1

Aloha. We have been blessed to sail Cunard since the 1970s and on various ships in all dining categories. As previously posted by others, the rooms are larger, there are more amenities and the dining is superior as you move up the categories.  While there have been some noticeable cutbacks it would not affect my decision to sail QG and if not available PG although Britannia would do also. Either way the PG is great and you will enjoy no doubt. Please keep us posted and enjoy!

Did not notice any cutbacks in the Queens Grill, in fact it was much improved over our pre COVID sailings.    We had Osman and he always had numerous off menu suggestions.    My husband had escargot whenever he wanted it as an appetizer.    Everything we requested was available.  No cutbacks on our B2B trans Atlantics.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Does anyone know if the cheese cart is still available in PG? Will be disappointed if it's gone!

Cheese cart was in full operation on QM2 PG in June. Along with plenty of table side preparation/carving and enough flambéing to rival an oil refinery. 
I can’t recall the specific cheeses offered but DW was happy. 

IMG_3399.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2023 at 11:57 AM, Gomac said:

We have 5 Cunard voyages under our belt and have our first PG voyage on QE coming up next month which is very exciting. 

We have our first TA booked for January and are tempted to bid for an upgrade to PG (at around £900 each) given we got a great price on the sheltered balcony already. 

Our main value proposition would be the dining, is PG on the QM2 substantially better? The overall Grills set up doesn’t seem quite as impressive as the QE but the cabin looks more impressive.

Don’t forget to tell us your PG experience. 

On 10/25/2023 at 2:37 PM, NE John said:

Cheese cart was in full operation on QM2 PG in June. Along with plenty of table side preparation/carving and enough flambéing to rival an oil refinery. 
I can’t recall the specific cheeses offered but DW was happy. 

IMG_3399.jpeg

Did you enjoy the flambeed granola for breakfast?

• Haha 2