Is the last cabin on a ship a bad cabin?

teddie2

I have very few options for cabins at the moment for a trip we are considering.  The only cabin on the ship available for me to pick now is an obstructed view very last cabin in the back.  Its hard to know what is around it or if the engine is right there behind it.  My H is concerned about seasickness as we are ok on small boats but only once in rough seas on a sailboat where everyone on the boat was sick.  I like the location of the cabin in that it is on a deck with nothing but rooms above and below and not near the lifts or stairs but it literally is the very last cabin in the back.  So if anyone is familiar with cabins all the way in the back of the ship it would be helpful to know what its like. BTW we were loooking for an interior cabin but any available are not in a good location.  THis was next best so we really dont care about the view and the price was not that much more.

13 minutes ago, teddie2 said:

I have very few options for cabins at the moment for a trip we are considering.  The only cabin on the ship available for me to pick now is an obstructed view very last cabin in the back.  Its hard to know what is around it or if the engine is right there behind it.  My H is concerned about seasickness as we are ok on small boats but only once in rough seas on a sailboat where everyone on the boat was sick.  I like the location of the cabin in that it is on a deck with nothing but rooms above and below and not near the lifts or stairs but it literally is the very last cabin in the back.  So if anyone is familiar with cabins all the way in the back of the ship it would be helpful to know what its like. BTW we were loooking for an interior cabin but any available are not in a good location.  THis was next best so we really dont care about the view and the price was not that much more.

Can you tell us what ship & the cabin number so we can look at the location?

Tom😀

• Like 1

If you don't care to share your cabin or ship, consider going to cruisedeckplans.com...old site...princess...select ship...obst view...find cabin. BTW, the engines are more towards the middle of the ship, and low near the keel, so noise not an issue. Can get some propeller vibration aft. The ships are so big you don't feel much movement. Bring antihystemine, such as Benadryl, or a generic would do, for seasickness. In the shop on the ship it's expensive.

So, we need a little more info on this cabin.  It’s aft, but is it a true aft….facing outwards from the back of the ship?  Or is it aft on the port or starboard side…facing out from the sides of the ship?  Which deck is it on? 

Sensitivity to motion is more prevalent far aft and far forward on higher decks.  It will be nothing compared to the sailboat you were on.  Ships are far more stable.  If you would share your cabin number we could give you more advice.

• Like 1

I don’t mean to hijack the post, but I have the exact same question.  We were a last minute booking and got the last balcony with unobstructed view.  I am also susceptible to motion sickness and am always a light sleeper.  We have C-706, Caribe Deck 10, Royal Princess.

By the way, eating a green apple when getting motion sick, especially paired with bland crackers, really does help.

Those are actually new'ish cabins. Were added when the Island was rebuilt a number of years ago. So they have a layout more like Royal class ships. It is an ocean view. There may be some noises when docking, etc from thrusters, but nothing crazy. Movement will be a bit more than mid ship. We cruise the Island often (itineraries) and normally go for the front of the ship as the buffet, etc is in front on the Island.

There have been many complaints about excessive vibrations in the Island's aft cabins since the refit. We were on her last November in Caribe 726, one deck above you and we did notice vibrations although I wouldn't call them excessive.

I did look up your cabin though and the obstruction does see pretty bad. If this is your cabin and you really want a view, I'd think twice. If the price is amazing well ...

island-princess-cruise-ship-in-grand-cayman.jpg

Edited by beg3yrs
added information

1 hour ago, teddie2 said:

Thanks so much the pics are great to see I guess the big question now is how annoying are the thrusters. It would help if that website not only had pics but comments😉 I know I am asking a lot!

There are comments above some of the pics.

Thrusters are only annoying when docking and leaving. Even then they're usually not used very long.

• Like 1

I have not been on the Island Princess but the very last cabin on the side of the ship is our preferred location.  My husband doesn't like true aft cabins and I do so they are a good compromise for us.  You may feel some movement and vibration being aft but we have never been bothered by it.  It's also a quiet location since not many people have to walk past your cabin to get to theirs.  

Enjoy your cruise!!!

I recently spent 28 days directly above that cabin and was bothered not at all by engine, wake or thruster noise. I liked the far aft location. I'd pick that oceanview cabin in a heartbeat if the alternative was an inside.

Three steps:

1) Book that cabin

2) Don't give it another thought

3) Enjoy your cruise

• Like 3

I just want to say thank you again to all with advice.. we decided not to book that cabin due to some not so great info I additionally discovered.. did not want to chance it.  But I have to say this forum is a godsend as the Princess staff are soooo rude on the chat.. even some on the phone .. not all  their information for a first timer is confusing and instead of explaining it to me they are so condescending. I am trying to get all this info for several friends who are working and dont have as much time as I so they tell me my friends should call and have someone answer the questions rather than give me the info I requested.. incredible.. anyway thanks all and btw if anyone knows what the white space on deck 10 is right near room 710.. that would be helpful.. I cannot tell if its where people congregate for the elevators or if  they hang out between the stairs and what seems to be the lifts.. thanks again

28 minutes ago, teddie2 said:

... thanks all and btw if anyone knows what the white space on deck 10 is right near room 710.. that would be helpful.. I cannot tell if its where people congregate for the elevators or if  they hang out between the stairs and what seems to be the lifts.. thanks again

FWIW, the two of us here thought the previously mentioned cabin was great. We always either do OV or obst. balcony. Good value. End of the hallway, low noise, plenty of light. Oh well, your choice.

I'm assuming you meant Caribe deck, C710. That large area is often elevators and work areas for staff, luggage movement, room service delivery... There might be a storage area for housekeeping there too. I can't be sure. Either way, noise at all hours. There is a rule of thumb that says never book next to a white space on a deck plan. 

Edited by mtnesterz

Ok good to know then that is it for us... we are out of options.  the one I initially mentioned in I discovered several people who had severe issues with vibration.  This was on another website.. but I read it a few places.. since the refit there were issues ...other than that i agree it was a great spot.  and its gone now so you snooze you lose. I honestly don't think there will be any rooms that are ok for any of  my group at this point and one couple wont risk guaranteed.. so I think we scrap this cruise.. sadly it was a good one.. its really too late anyway to be booking for the summer peak season. I will look for a different cruise but I think this will be the problem anywhere  Thanks again

49 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

FWIW, the two of us here thought the previously mentioned cabin was great. We always either do OV or obst. balcony. Good value. End of the hallway, low noise, plenty of light. Oh well, your choice.

I'm assuming you meant Caribe deck, C710. That large area is often elevators and work areas for staff, luggage movement, room service delivery... There might be a storage area for housekeeping there too. I can't be sure. Either way, noise at all hours. There is a rule of thumb that says never book next to a white space on a deck plan. 

Is this for sure... the elevators are behind that big white area

17 minutes ago, teddie2 said:

Is this for sure... the elevators are behind that big white area

No. As I used words like "often," "might" and "I can't be sure." What I do know from experience is that we had a cabin on the Ruby next to a white area. It was housekeeping storage. They were in there shuffling things about waking us up at 4AM. Perhaps someone with better knowledge will chime in. I just won't book next to a white area on a deck plan again.

I am beginning to agree with that approach. If I can't get a cabin I want at booking I think I will pass. This would be our first time cruising and if we had a bad time because we coukd not sleep we would never go again. It's also 20 days which is a long time to be on a boat unhappy.