Our first Royal Caribbean cruise is soon - entertainment shows are already sold out on line

Called Royal Caribbean and was told that they only offer a "limited number" of the shows (aqua, skating, comedy, etc.) online prior to the sailing, and that we'll have the "opportunity" to try to get them once we board.  She said check with guest services - is that where it would happen?  I'd hate to wait in what's sure to be a long line (embarkation? the longest!) only to find out I should have been waiting in a long line elsewhere.

Appreciate anything you can tell me.  Thanks.

Also told that with My Time Dining we could show up to a dining room at 5:15 and possibly get seated, but others on these boards have said if you're My Time, that time pretty much starts at 6:45.  Again, without any personal experience on Royal Caribbean, I'm hoping to glean from your experience.

Thank you!

14 minutes ago, alwayscruisetime said:

Appreciate anything you can tell me. 

Your ability to be seated before the official start of MTD varies by ship and maybe even the host.

Connect to the ship wifi as soon as you board and use the app to book shows.

Edited by Biker19

21 minutes ago, alwayscruisetime said:

She said check with guest services

No, do not go to guest services. There should be a makeshift "box office" set up somewhere for show reservations (they hold back a certain % for booking onboard). You can also try the app once connected to the ship wifi.

All that said, you will easily be able to see any show you want without a reservation via the standby line, just get there early.

*The one exception is the adult comedy show as that venue is small. There is still a standby line but I would show up extra early if that's important you.

Don't stress; you will get to see the shows.

Edited by OCSC Mike

On a previous cruise the Cruise Director told us in a Q&A session that they hold 20% of all seats back to be booked on board. Even then if you miss out there is a standby line that most everyone gets in. People make plans, forget about them, get busy doing other things, forget to cancel, etc. Plus there are multiple showing. You will get in.

Are you on one of the Oasis class ships?  Once onboard, there will be a designated spot where someone will help you with all of your reservations for each show.  No worries!  Enjoy your first cruise on Royal!🛳️

We had MTD on Harmony at 645 on deck 3 .

We would show up around 6 pm and the door man would check with other dining rooms if there was empty tables from no shows from early dining. We were seated right away . As long as you dont mind having different waiters and it was fine with us you dont have to wait .

Thank you all.

Yes, Oasis class - Allure of the Seas.  Cruised big ships on other lines, but never realized just how many people this one holds, so I never thought about the shows "selling out".

And glad to hear about the dinners, too.  We're early to bed early to rise folks, so the 6:45 start time for MTD seemed late to us.  Glad to know it might not be set in stone.

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Your ability to be seated before the official start of MTD varies by ship and maybe even the host.

Connect to the ship wifi as soon as you board and use the app to book shows.

This needs repeating. We’ve had to do that a few times, and it always works. 

I was on the Allure in August.  The earliest you could get a reservation for MTD was 6:30 p.m.  If you don't make a reservation, you will be standing in a long line. You can make a reservation at the desk in the dining room after you board.  

We had reservations for all of the shows, BUT OCSC Mike is correct.  Get to the shows early enough and you won't have a problem (except the adult comedy show).  

• Like 1

One other thing about show reservations that hasn’t been mentioned. If you feel like it & have time, keep checking. You never know when someone will change plans & cancel something.

I’ll be on Allure in 8 days & it was a last minute booking (maybe a month out). At the time, everything was sold out except the ice show & Mamma Mia. A day or two later, some aqua show spots opened. Then earlier today, 2 spots opened for both adult comedy & Blue Planet. By dumb luck they didn’t conflict with anything else we had planned so I now have everything booked.

As I originally mentioned, you’ll get to see everything one way or another, but all things being equal, I prefer to have reservations taken care of ahead of time if I can.

• Like 4

Can anyone tell me when shows will populate on the app for a December sailing? We just booked and I don’t see any shows at all. This is our 14th sailing with RC and I am not keen on this reservation system but I digress…I guess I better get with it. 

1 minute ago, jamon said:

OCSC Mike-----If one is Pinnacle do we need reservations for shows or can we just show our card and get into the shows. I understand comedy show, but I am talking about the ones in the main theater.

Pretty sure Pinnacles still need reservations or they use the standby line like everyone else but Pinnacle is far above my pay grade. I'm just now approaching D+.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TX-Cruiser said:

Can anyone tell me when shows will populate on the app for a December sailing? We just booked and I don’t see any shows at all. This is our 14th sailing with RC and I am not keen on this reservation system but I digress…I guess I better get with it. 

The general rule is reservations start to open up on the 1st of the month prior to your cruise.  Not all may be there right away but shortly after, usually within a week.  I would say for you November 1 but start checking a few days before.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2023 at 9:17 PM, alwayscruisetime said:

Thank you all.

Yes, Oasis class - Allure of the Seas.  Cruised big ships on other lines, but never realized just how many people this one holds, so I never thought about the shows "selling out".

And glad to hear about the dinners, too.  We're early to bed early to rise folks, so the 6:45 start time for MTD seemed late to us.  Glad to know it might not be set in stone.

I have been on Allure several times (it's my favorite RC ship), and never once was unable to get in to see a show.  Never even saw a standby line.  Most of the time the theater is half full.  Maybe because a lot of people like that ship and have also sailed multiple times and have seen the shows already. 

I find on most ships lately there are no problems getting in to a show by just showing up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, realaud said:

I have been on Allure several times (it's my favorite RC ship), and never once was unable to get in to see a show.  Never even saw a standby line.

On Allure now. We booked last minute (like 4 weeks out). Many things were sold out. I had no worries about getting into anything as I’ve sailed enough and agree with everything you wrote.

That said, they hold enough spots back that I was able to book anything I wanted (besides adult comedy) via the app  around 1:00 after we boarded.

I understand why newer cruisers panic and wish RC made it clearer that they will still likely get to see whatever they want.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I understand why newer cruisers panic and wish RC made it clearer that they will still likely get to see whatever they want.

Royal needs to needs to change the wording from "Sold out" to something that indicates that people need to book on board as soon as get on.  

• Like 1

Thank you all!  As you promised, we were able to book on the app once we boarded.  We got reservations for the shows we wanted to see, and at the 2 we’ve already attended, yes, there were lots of empty seats that were eventually filled by those with no reservations. Thanks for letting me know there was nothing to worry about!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alwayscruisetime said:

Thank you all!  As you promised, we were able to book on the app once we boarded.  We got reservations for the shows we wanted to see, and at the 2 we’ve already attended, yes, there were lots of empty seats that were eventually filled by those with no reservations. Thanks for letting me know there was nothing to worry about!

So you’re on Allure right now with me? You didn’t mention the date even after I posted I’d be on this cruise. 🤣

Glad it all worked out. Now we just need the weather at CocoCay to cooperate on Sunday, Enjoy Cozumel tomorrow & the rest of the cruise!