Mediterranean Sea Conditions - Late Sept through Early Oct

nautica17

We are considering a Mediterranean cruise late September through early October, from Barcelona to Venice. I tend to get sea sickness on the ocean. And unfortunately, I get very groggy from anti nausea drugs. What are the sea conditions typically like around this time of the year?  Thank you!

We were there last year in early Oct. We were on the Adriatic so I’m not sure if it’s about the same as the Med. we did Venice, Croatia, Kotor and several Greek islands. We didn’t have any rough seas that I noticed. We had some “soft” rain a few days. But nothing that would stop us from enjoying time ashore. I don’t know if that’s the norm. But I don’t think it’s any worse than any other time. 
Also, most people don’t realize- keeping your stomach full helps keep sea sickness at bay. If you get sick, ask any bartender for bitters and soda. It works for seasickness, hangovers and other minor ailments. You’ll feel

better in seconds. 

The Med is generally calm - you might get some rough water in the Fall if the Mistral (a steady wind down the Rhône Valley) is blowing when you pass heading east just north of Corsica or south of Sardinia, but otherwise it is likely to be fairly calm.   Best advice is to get a lot of fresh air, only eat and drink moderately, and take some stomach settlers like candied ginger or green apples.

We just got back from a 7 night Mediterranean cruise round trip from Rome that went to Naples, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, Marseilles and La Spezia. We went from Oct 5th to 12th. It was the smoothest cruise I have ever been on, the water was so calm, we barely felt any movement. 

Edited by dmrrn73

As with any ocean sailing, conditions can vary widely at ANY time of the year. I’ve taken about a dozen Med cruises in the fall months (Oct and Nov). Some have been smooth and sunny, some have been a bit rougher and rainy. In general though, I’d say the chances of rougher seas are higher after mid-October. Also rain chances are higher in more northerly ports, less so in southern Spain, the Greek islands, etc.

I’m currently on an 18- day Med cruise that started Oct 4 in Venice. The first 10 days were very sunny and smooth. The last few have been gray with some rain and the ship has had some movement at night moving from port to port. Nothing remarkable, but you can definitely feel it.

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

As with any ocean sailing, conditions can vary widely at ANY time of the year. I’ve taken about a dozen Med cruises in the fall months (Oct and Nov). Some have been smooth and sunny, some have been a bit rougher and rainy. In general though, I’d say the chances of rougher seas are higher after mid-October. Also rain chances are higher in more northerly ports, less so in southern Spain, the Greek islands, etc.

I’m currently on an 18- day Med cruise that started Oct 4 in Venice. The first 10 days were very sunny and smooth. The last few have been gray with some rain and the ship has had some movement at night moving from port to port. Nothing remarkable, but you can definitely feel it.

Thank you for sharing your experience with me!  I can handle rainy gray days but sea swells are miserable for me. I used to scuba dive a lot and even rough waves I the dive boat made me sick. However I love boating!!

A  lot also depends on your own version of rough.  Some people think that 2 metre swells are the end of the world ... and throw up accordingly .. others embrace heavy weather.

The western Med can be a nightmare if the stars align 🙂 Vicious short / sharp seas that can make life 'interesting' 😏.

43 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

A  lot also depends on your own version of rough.  Some people think that 2 metre swells are the end of the world ... and throw up accordingly .. others embrace heavy weather.

The western Med can be a nightmare if the stars align 🙂 Vicious short / sharp seas that can make life 'interesting' 😏.

Bottom end of the Adriatic can also be rather snotty. Had a gangway washed off the Prom Dk of SS Uganda back in '76.