From Quebec to Miami (Oct. 20 - Nov. 3) join our voyage

artbcpa

50 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

We skipped the show as well. Sail away from beautiful Quebec was at 9 pm so we drank Moet in a spa as we sailed down the river. Life is tough. 

What a fabulous way to spend the later evening 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, florisdekort said:

The current list of included/complimentary wine on Explora 1. You can ask for any of these, anywhere. 

That seems like a very credible list.  The only false note is that the one Chilean wine is a Cabernet rather than a Carmenère, otherwise every wine is a good representative of its area.

• Thanks 1

Random (yes very random) question for those onboard 

In these lovely well equipped suites is there a long handled shoehorn? And is so approx how long is the handle?

Hope everyone is staying safe and not having to overdose on the ginger 😀

Today is a bonus sea day as our call to Corner Brook (and before that Gaspe) got cancelled due to weather. We’ve been going around in circles in a sheltered area since early last evening. We have decided to just be lazy until 5 pm / cocktail o’clock 😁 Daily program below. 

IMG_3053.thumb.jpeg.63456b7f26d29615f29d72856fc604f8.jpeg

IMG_3054.thumb.jpeg.290a1b6917e0b53ccde7c8a517c730ed.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, uktog said:

Random (yes very random) question for those onboard 

In these lovely well equipped suites is there a long handled shoehorn? And is so approx how long is the handle?

Hope everyone is staying safe and not having to overdose on the ginger 😀

Just found this…

IMG_3055.thumb.jpeg.a2e2103c7f95dadf51c92b054e500003.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A personal observation. There has been a lot of talk on Cruise Critic about how Explora is trying to be a floating hotel and not a cruise ship. Honestly, we haven’t noticed any differences with Seabourn except for some job titles, ie., suite host vs steward(ess), Experience Director vs Cruise Director and General Manager vs Hotel Director. Everything else is kind of the same. The Officers are very visible, the Captain rattles of the latitude and longitude (and more) daily at 12 noon, the Captain and his Officers appeared in the theater (Journey’s Lounge) at 9:30 pm on the first full day for a traditional “welcome on board” toast, the Captain is hosting a coffee Q&A as I type this, etc. It all feels very familiar to us, and for us, that’s a very good thing 😃

Edited by florisdekort
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

Today is a bonus sea day as our call to Corner Brook (and before that Gaspe) got cancelled due to weather. We’ve been going around in circles in a sheltered area since early last evening. We have decided to just be lazy until 5 pm / cocktail o’clock 😁 Daily program below. 

IMG_3054.thumb.jpeg.290a1b6917e0b53ccde7c8a517c730ed.jpeg

Much appreciated- I’m farrrrrr too  lazy to post on board!  I’m disappointed that there’s no live music between 7:15 and 8:30. That’s almost universally my pet peeve - no entertainment before dinner if you like to dine late.

Just now, Dr. Cocktail said:

Much appreciated- I’m farrrrrr too  lazy to post on board!  I’m disappointed that there’s no live music between 7:15 and 8:30. That’s almost universally my pet peeve - no entertainment before dinner if you like to dine late.

There was a pianist last night from 6 pm onwards in the Explorers Lounge. She was still playing when we headed to dinner at 7:15 pm. Strangely this wasn’t listed on the daily program. And embarrassingly we hadn’t even noticed her arrival until quite a while in, as the piano had been on auto play beforehand, and it kind of sounded the same 🫣🫣🫣

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

There was a pianist last night from 6 pm onwards in the Explorers Lounge. She was still playing when we headed to dinner at 7:15 pm. Strangely this wasn’t listed on the daily program. And embarrassingly we hadn’t even noticed her arrival until quite a while in, as the piano had been on auto play beforehand, and it kind of sounded the same 🫣🫣🫣

🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

An “early” dinner for us is 8 - our cruise lives usually consist of our arriving in a lounge for a cocktail and hearing the dulcet sounds of: “thanks - you can hear us later in the (insert name of lounge here) and the Muzak then  being clicked on!  

2 hours ago, florisdekort said:

Just found this…

Thanks, very helpful (the well travelled Ikea long handled boot horn - all 3 ft of it at a cost of £1 will add to its many avois)  🙂

3 hours ago, uktog said:

Thanks, very helpful (the well travelled Ikea long handled boot horn - all 3 ft of it at a cost of £1 will add to its many avois)  🙂

I cracked off the "hook" to make it easier to pack along the side of the suitcase.  Still long enough to use.

And the ones sold in the USA are only 2 feet long.

7 hours ago, florisdekort said:

A personal observation. There has been a lot of talk on Cruise Critic about how Explora is trying to be a floating hotel and not a cruise ship. Honestly, we haven’t noticed any differences with Seabourn except for some job titles, ie., suite host vs steward(ess), Experience Director vs Cruise Director and General Manager vs Hotel Director. Everything else is kind of the same. The Officers are very visible, the Captain rattles of the latitude and longitude (and more) daily at 12 noon, the Captain and his Officers appeared in the theater (Journey’s Lounge) at 9:30 pm on the first full day for a traditional “welcome on board” toast, the Captain is hosting a coffee Q&A as I type this, etc. It all feels very familiar to us, and for us, that’s a very good thing 😃

I find the changing of names from steward to host etc totally silly and unnecessary. If they want to set themselves apart from other lines do it in quality of service, food, decor, itinerary, and a wide range of other things that would better help them stand out. Do they correct you if you call them by the wrong name?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kidless said:

I find the changing of names from steward to host etc totally silly and unnecessary. If they want to set themselves apart from other lines do it in quality of service, food, decor, itinerary, and a wide range of other things that would better help them stand out. Do they correct you if you call them by the wrong name?

7 minutes ago, Azulann said:

For anyone on board right now... how is the Crema Cafe? Also have you eaten outside in any venue yet? I read that you a get Bento boxes  around the infinity pool  for lunch.

Outside, not yet, but that’s weather related. It’s 45F/8C and blowing a gale. 

Crema Cafe is outstanding. We think the coffee is much better than Seabourn’s, but that’s personal preference of course. Great service and a nice selection of sandwiches, pastries, cakes and cookies. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, florisdekort said:

Outside, not yet, but that’s weather related. It’s 45F/8C and blowing a gale. 

Crema Cafe is outstanding. We think the coffee is much better than Seabourn’s, but that’s personal preference of course. Great service and a nice selection of sandwiches, pastries, cakes and cookies. 

Of course ,silly me,  you are only a couple of days into your cruise. I was just  on the Explora web site and scrolling through their dinning and lounges on board and thought I would ask  current cruisers. 

Thanks you for taking time to respond. Look forward to future posts of your experience of the cruise.

49 minutes ago, kidless said:

Personally, I don’t mind the change in titles, and no host has ever corrected us.

Explora Journeys has already met many of the things you list.  We've been onboard for 9 days, so I feel I have a good appreciation for the ship.

Service has been outstanding! Explora has dedicated a great deal of time and money into training. Sixty percent of the hosts onboard have never been seafarers, instead they come from luxury hotels.  Officers, staff and hosts have all been exceptionally helpful, friendly and capable. The hosts run to help…whether it is hurrying to carry your plate in the Emporium Marketplace, or quickly going to pull out your chair in Crema. Our Suite Host, Lidiane, has been wonderful. We were called by name on day 2. Hosts remember our coffee preferences, the fact that I prefer sparkling water and my husband flat, the wine we like, etc. 

Food has been consistently excellent in flavor, quality, variety and presentation in all of the venues ( we have not tried Anthology.) with one exception: the pork dim sum in Sakura.

The decor is soothingly elegant, with natural light and dramatic art.  Our suite is very comfortable with plenty of storage and lots of special touches.

There are a few things that, in my opinion, need improvement: chairs are too low in the lounges, announcements are very loud and there are no cocktail onions.  None of these are deal breakers or affect our enjoyment. I’m still not sure about the evening entertainment model, but, Lydia, the singer in last night's “ Evening by Candlelight,” was very talented and the Journey Lounge had a special ambiance.

Explora Journeys is the new kid on the block and is going to shake up the existing luxury lines ( all of which we have sailed multiple times.)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2