Pre-paid Gratuities

lovedecruise

21 minutes ago, antsp said:

I'm from the UK so tipping is a so so subject, I leave the auto tip on but very rarely tip extra, however, Princess makes tipping a personal choice, so no one should be attacked for their own personal decision 

...  " Princess makes tipping a personal choice,"...  Only cruises originating from the U S, hurray !  ..    lucky us.  So here's something to ponder.  "All of the Crew Appreciation and Service Charge payments made by all guests on all ships in our fleet are pooled, net of credit card transaction fees. The pooled funds are distributed throughout the year in the form of compensation, including bonuses, to crewmembers fleetwide who interact directly with guests and/or behind the scenes throughout every cruise, including those in the Bar, Dining, Entertainment, Housekeeping, Guest Services, Galley and Onboard Revenue areas."

So if Nigel and Mary leave the Caribbean princess sailing off the Eastern coast of U S, and are reassigned to Enchanted princess in the med. Do they get their percentage of tips/appreciation from the Caribbean princess while onboard the Enchanted in the Med.?  Cause I left an extra Benjamin for Nigel, I don't think he got it.

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, antsp said:

No, not really, the name yes, details no. 

same items in current, well, previous PLUS package - Drinks, Gratuities, Wi-Fi

BUT - you could pick which ones you wanted - we took BEST2DG - drinks and grats - back then, we still got wifi minutes for our Platinum level.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

I have to admit that in Canada we tip everyone everywhere we go and even more than necessary.  I tip our dog groomers more than some people tip their cabin stewards.  Not unusual for clients in higher end salons in Toronto to tip their stylist $100.00+

You must live in a more "up scale" neighbourhood than we do!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Senga said:

You must live in a more "up scale" neighbourhood than we do!

lol We don’t live in Toronto since we retired a few years ago.  However, our sons and their families do and yes, they live in an upscale neighborhood.  Yes, they tip exorbitantly, especially on vacation.  We did a family reunion cruise on HAL Eurodam a few years ago and the crew was very, very pleased.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

I have to admit that in Canada we tip everyone everywhere we go and even more than necessary.  I tip our dog groomers more than some people tip their cabin stewards.  Not unusual for clients in higher end salons in Toronto to tip their stylist $100.00+

Generous people are fun to be around and usually happy too.

15 hours ago, OccasionalSanta said:

Which explains why restaurant workers in the U.K. (and other like countries) are happy to serve tourists from the U.S.

Your right,thing is here in the u.k. workers recieve a good minimum wage which means they don't have to rely on tips.Those on cruise ships also recieve a decent wage/conditions plus a chance to see the world,lucky people.

• Like 2

Having been a waiter in my younger years I must admit that tipping was a big help. The restaurant I worked in had a "Trunk" where tips were put and shared out at the end of the week. Unfortunately being the junior , a trolley boy, where I served hors d'oeurves and desserts, washed up the glasses from night before bar and had to clean spirit lamps used to keep food hot at the work stations I got the least tips with the senior waiters, wine waiters and Maitre 'D getting the most. I got £10 in wages minus tax and N.I. left me with £8 plus £2 in tips. I would pay for my digs £2, have £3 for myself and save £5. I still tip even in the UK, barbers and waiting staff. I can't say I totally agree with the situation in the US and Canada where 15% is expected regardless of quality of service or what's dished up. But I go along with it as you don't have much choice, apart from the fact that if it's not good enough you can complain.

To answer your question: yes, you will likely save money because the Princess exchange rate is set in advance.  If there is movement in the US/NZ exchange rate before they reset their rates, you save.  I prepaid everything I could last year when the exchange rate was about 20% more favourable than it is now and I am pleased with the outcome.  I prepaid gratuities, wifi, and bought OBC to pay for spa treatments etc.  there is no currency advantage in prepaying excursions or spa treatments because they are charged through a different system at current conversion rates - you only want to prepay things that show on the payments page of your personaliser, because those are charged at the preset currency rate.  From what I can tell, they buy their foreign currency in bulk once or twice a year.  Always do your sums first of course.

Edited by trinitygirl