Walk to Mahahual Beach?

tonyfall1

It looks like according to google maps the walk from the port to Mahahual Beach would be short using a dirt road that is close to the coastline. But everything I map to walk to Mahahual Beach takes me through paved roads through town which seems to double or triple the walk. Has anyone done the walk along the coastline?

1 hour ago, tonyfall1 said:

It looks like according to google maps the walk from the port to Mahahual Beach would be short using a dirt road that is close to the coastline. But everything I map to walk to Mahahual Beach takes me through paved roads through town which seems to double or triple the walk. Has anyone done the walk along the coastline?

That was the original walk prior to the port authorities blocking the path probably 15 years(?) ago.

You can go outside the port and cut back to the coast through Nuevo Mahahual but i have never done it.

It is a long, hot but safe walk along the road but we save our walking for the length of the malecon about 1.25 miles. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

To grab a taxi, it's only $4 pp. I can't imagine wanting to walk in that heat. Is there a reason you are wanting to walk instead?

We are hikers and like to get lots of miles in a day. Particularly while cruising since we will be overindulging.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tonyfall1 said:

We are hikers and like to get lots of miles in a day. Particularly while cruising since we will be overindulging.

Agree, the coast route was the original route onto town and many people used to walk - not any more. The port has blocked access to this route.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tonyfall1 said:

Depending on the weather, you can head out the cruise port and walk in the median with shady areas up to the Hwy. Then turn left and go to the light house. The should is wide along the highway and there's a bar/ restaurant a short way down before the lighthouse. Go right along the malecon at teh Pemex station.. About 3 miles +/-.

• Like 1

My wife and i ( both 72 ) walked on our cruise in October. It was an easy LONG walk. Lots of shade to start out but the last stretch heading to the light house was in the sun. We then walked the Malecon . Caught a cab at the end of the Malecon back to the ship.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrpayroll said:

My wife and i ( both 72 ) walked on our cruise in October. It was an easy LONG walk. Lots of shade to start out but the last stretch heading to the light house was in the sun. We then walked the Malecon . Caught a cab at the end of the Malecon back to the ship.

It is an easy and safe enough walk but was it worthwhile? Would you do it again? Was there anywhere to stop and see anything? 

I think I would rather walk the length of the malecón and possibly back along through town or back along Malecón to explore and exercise. I have done that. I haven’t actually walked all the way from port although have walked immediate vicinity outside port to replica.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2023 at 2:59 PM, c-leg5 said:

It is an easy and safe enough walk but was it worthwhile? Would you do it again? Was there anywhere to stop and see anything? 

I think I would rather walk the length of the malecón and possibly back along through town or back along Malecón to explore and exercise. I have done that. I haven’t actually walked all the way from port although have walked immediate vicinity outside port to replica.

Nothing interesting along the way. We enjoy walking so we decided to walk to the Malecon. Would not do it both ways.

33 minutes ago, mrpayroll said:

Nothing interesting along the way. We enjoy walking so we decided to walk to the Malecon. Would not do it both ways.

Thanks - has never looked particularly interesting from the cab but I agree it is easy and flat.

I still think I prefer to be dropped at light house and walk the length of the malecon to the other end of town. I have never walked the whole length of the main street (one block inland) but it seems there may be some better local restaurants there, just no view!