Visa

taftstreet

With the exception of Martinique* in the Caribbean, cruise passengers who stop for a day or less on their cruise itinerary are viewed as "in-transit" passengers for which no visa is needed.  The only variation that we ever encountered...in the Med years ago, was Turkey, which required that we have a  provided 'landing card' which identified us as ship passengers.  We had a delightful day in Istanbul but never showed anyone the card (except to reboard the ship) or our passports.

*Martinique is viewed as a Dept of France and is a part of France....hence a passport is needed to visit.

26 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Well of course he would as neither he nor GF would think  "mea culpa". 

Having said that, is there not usually a statement hidden somewhere in the depths of the booking contract that informs pax of passport or visa requirements, or even just informing them they have personal responsibility for checking what documentation may be needed?

That was in their cruise contract but many don't read it. He seemed to believe that since the check in allowed her to check in without a passport that that absolved them from responsibility and the cruise line should allow them to board even though it would violate US law. They didn't understand the law even though he claimed to be a long time cruiser. 

6 hours ago, edinburgher said:

I cannot find a reference to your original comment which indicated to me that you were saying the ETIAS applied to all countries, nor did I know I had a "bone of contention" but it appears that I gave that impression I did. 

If you look back at my original #4 post,you will read that I only expanded on the comment by Cruiser Bruce in an attempt to further clarify as the topic is quite an important one, in response to which you added your "good natured " response below which I didn't think clarified anything and may have confused others even more ,and as that was not the objective I responded to it.

Kind of funny.   A visa allows someone to enter a country and an ETA/ETIAS allows those who don't need a visa to enter a country. 

Countries which will require an ETIAS whenever it comes into effect should be checked on the official ETIAS website, as it will not only apply to current Schengen membership countries, but also to a few others in different categories of membership or proposed membership of Schengen.

I see.  It seems you have come to the realization you incorrectly jumped to a conclusion I was responding to your earlier comment.  

4 hours ago, thinfool said:

With the exception of Martinique* in the Caribbean, cruise passengers who stop for a day or less on their cruise itinerary are viewed as "in-transit" passengers for which no visa is needed.  The only variation that we ever encountered...in the Med years ago, was Turkey, which required that we have a  provided 'landing card' which identified us as ship passengers.  We had a delightful day in Istanbul but never showed anyone the card (except to reboard the ship) or our passports.

*Martinique is viewed as a Dept of France and is a part of France....hence a passport is needed to visit.

Wouldn't Guadeloupe be in the same boat (ahem) as Martinique? I believe Guadeloupe and Martinique have the same status as French overseas departments.  

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

I see.  It seems you have come to the realization you incorrectly jumped to a conclusion I was responding to your earlier comment.

Have not had any "realisation" having  been occupied his evening doing something more interesting and fun  than analysing every word, but if you say so then you must be correct,  and if you are happy about that, you can hopefully now put this tedious exchange to bed.

Edited by edinburgher

1 hour ago, Zach1213 said:

Wouldn't Guadeloupe be in the same boat (ahem) as Martinique? I believe Guadeloupe and Martinique have the same status as French overseas departments.  

They are indeed French Overseas Departments and the  local  currency in both is the euro, which might cach some out as it isn't the usual Caribbean island currency which springs to mind.

As previously stated, once the ETIAS requirement actually come into being, everyone should check the entry requirements for countries on their itinerary.

Edited by edinburgher