Explora Journeys Please Fix Your IT Systems -- this is becoming a joke.

PaulMCO

IT IS 15 days without being able to check in -- and 7 days with No Reservation Showing -- Explora customer care at its best. 

How frustrating and frustrating. Get an email to check in and try doing the web checkin.   Like many I get the infamous

image.thumb.png.153dcabfb52616bf62d30676fc75bae5.png

So we check with Customer Care -- they send a ticket IT and IT fixes it by removing our reservation (actually they open a duplicate which cause the system to essentially crash)

Now of course --we get

image.thumb.png.fe003bbeef297cfb70fe0fb3fa78f0d8.png

Not the end of the world, will get fixed. But it clearly shows that EXPLORA is not ready for Prime Time.  Loyalist if there are any will say it is just growing pains.  But they have had over 2 years to get this right.  It is not that Seaware is a new piece of software, it is used by other cruise lines without the issues we have had with it.

Although this will not solve your issue, it does make the case for using a decent cruise agency.  They handle dealing with EJ plus, in our case, they gave us a substantial on board credit (which you will not get by booking direct with EJ).

As to now, keep hard copies (and records of your calls) to take with you when you head to the port.

Hank

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Although this will not solve your issue, it does make the case for using a decent cruise agency.  They handle dealing with EJ plus, in our case, they gave us a substantial on board credit (which you will not get by booking direct with EJ).

As to now, keep hard copies (and records of your calls) to take with you when you head to the port.

Hank

Except our ta cannot get a fix either. There have been IT tickets raised, the usual rubbish response of “clear your cache” which was irrelevant another ticket raised suggested try a different machine TA involved as the different machine - no joy!  Everyone alleges IT is looking at it. It’s heartening to see others are getting the same message and back office response. 

Remember I was very badly treated over the late cancellation of the inaugural we already had this second cruise booked and paid for otherwise given how we were treated we’d have walked away from Explora. 

However seeing objectively written reports from cruisers we know and trust is telling us hang on if you ever get onboard it’s going to be worth it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, uktog said:

Except our ta cannot get a fix either. There have been IT tickets raised, the usual rubbish response of “clear your cache” which was irrelevant another ticket raised suggested try a different machine TA involved as the different machine - no joy!  Everyone alleges IT is looking at it. It’s heartening to see others are getting the same message and back office response. 

Remember I was very badly treated over the late cancellation of the inaugural we already had this second cruise booked and paid for otherwise given how we were treated we’d have walked away from Explora. 

However seeing objectively written reports from cruisers we know and trust is telling us hang on if you ever get onboard it’s going to be worth it. 

We found the onboard experience far from perfect.  However, it was still an amazing experience and we met/befriended some wonderful members of the crew (hosts) including the current Experience Manager (Tanya Roberts) who has an amazing bubbly attitude...not to mention her world-class opera soprano voice.  What is fascinating, to this long time cruiser, is that approximately 80% of their crew were actually working on their first contract at sea.  Much of the crew were recruited in places like Dubai, where they had a good background in luxury hotels/restaurants but no experience working on a ship.  At times, service was over the top.  In the Emporium (lido) plates were removed before you could get the last crumb :).  Service in the sit-down restaurants was amazing, although some of us wondered if they could maintain this level of service on a full ship.

Unfortunately, some of the pre-cruise problems you have might also be found onboard.  Most of our criticism was regarding the awful onboard communications between management (we include guest services and the destination (tour) desk) and passengers.  Even giving them some slack (they were under pressure on our cruise because of the upcoming Naming Ceremony), we found the communication issues to be inexcusable.  And the onboard software is also an issue (the TV-based onboard account system failed to function for our entire cruise).  There were also some "excursions" on our cruise that were kept a secret unless you asked!  Makes no sense, but it happened.  I should add that our issues with Guest Relations/Destination Desk may have been caused by the lack of communications between these customer service folks and their own supervisors!   

Probably the most flagrant communication issue happened with our cancelled visit to Prince Edward Island (due to awful weather).  We knew about the cancelled port nearly 24 hours before it was ever announced on the ship!  This caused issues for some folks who had private arrangements at this port.  At one point when we asked Guest Relations about the cancelled port (before it was announced) they were more concerned about "how did you find this out!" rather than the issue. 

Hank

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

IT IS 15 days without being able to check in -- and 7 days with No Reservation Showing -- Explora customer care at its best. 

How frustrating and frustrating. Get an email to check in and try doing the web checkin.   Like many I get the infamous

image.thumb.png.153dcabfb52616bf62d30676fc75bae5.png

So we check with Customer Care -- they send a ticket IT and IT fixes it by removing our reservation (actually they open a duplicate which cause the system to essentially crash)

Now of course --we get

image.thumb.png.fe003bbeef297cfb70fe0fb3fa78f0d8.png

Not the end of the world, will get fixed. But it clearly shows that EXPLORA is not ready for Prime Time.  Loyalist if there are any will say it is just growing pains.  But they have had over 2 years to get this right.  It is not that Seaware is a new piece of software, it is used by other cruise lines without the issues we have had with it.

Two weeks ago, after getting the same result online, I downloaded the My Explora app to my phone. I was able to check in on my phone using the app, even scanning my passport, taking a selfie, and setting up a credit card. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Wendell Pendell said:

Two weeks ago, after getting the same result online, I downloaded the My Explora app to my phone. I was able to check in on my phone using the app, even scanning my passport, taking a selfie, and setting up a credit card. 

I tried that -- it allowed me only to check in for my first segment only.

CS tried to check me in for the second and could not.

The bigger issue are the excursions, would like to see what is available and what price.

Customer service sent me a list that does not have full descriptions or prices.

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I do have a TA and my IT ticket has been open for well over 2 weeks for this and other issues.  My TA is good but he will get the same response -- a trouble ticket will be opened with IT. 

Explora management needs to get this message and fix their mess.  This issued was passed to them by my TA who was on the past Canada cruise.

This does not happen with other cruise lines.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

I do have a TA and my IT ticket has been open for well over 2 weeks for this and other issues.  My TA is good but he will get the same response -- a trouble ticket will be opened with IT. 

Explora management needs to get this message and fix their mess.  This issued was passed to them by my TA who was on the past Canada cruise.

3 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Many people have had and are having problems with Silverseas as well. 

22 minutes ago, frankhi said:

I have never had a problem. Are you using some kind of apple device? Try using a regular PC.

I am an IT engineer and know of all the tricks. Yes I have iOS, Linux, Windows of various types, Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Safari, and Opera.  None work.

There issue is anytime there is a problem, IT screws with the reservation and Seaware creates another booking with another account which then has to be manually merged in order for it to display it in your logged in account.  This causes the booking to not show since Seaware has no clue what account it belongs to.  Know issue, known fix, getting customer service and IT to fix the issue IMPOSSIBLE

The web check is a know issue.  The APP works, but also has bugs.  I have encountered one -- more than one sailing linked B2B.  The APP and the Web are not linked, which is crazy and guarantees a data corruption issue if they don't match exactly..

15 minutes ago, frankhi said:

Many people have had and are having problems with Silverseas as well. 

Yes and Silversea posted a fix on social media and a list of things to try.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

I tried that -- it allowed me only to check in for my first segment only.

CS tried to check me in for the second and could not.

The bigger issue are the excursions, would like to see what is available and what price.

Customer service sent me a list that does not have full descriptions or prices.

Have to smile about excursions.  Our favorite excursion, on our 18 day cruise, was never listed...anywhere!  We only learned about it when we stopped at the Destination desk to ask about a cancelled (by EJ) excursion and wanted an alternative.  They told us about a special dinner (during our overnight in Quebec City) with a group of chefs from the ship and at a highly rated local restaurant.  It turned out that we were among the only 8 passengers (and 5 chefs) on that excursion.  The other passengers had learned only because they went to an onboard cooking class (150 Euros per person) and were advised by the chef teaching that small class.  It turned out to be a fantastic evening with all those chefs (3 were French Master Chefs).

Why wasn't that excursion listed on the TV listing or on a print out we had received from the staff (only given to us when we made the request)?  Nobody had an answer.

Hank

• Like 1

Azamara also has major problems with this software.

Same here at home with my account via the website. Couldn't create an account on the website at 
first. Resolved quickly via email to Customer Service with good help. 
Afterwards you could not create an account in the app to check in. This was repaired with the help
 of the same person at Customer Service, the IT department and TA.
After checking in via the app, the option to view/book excursions disappeared under my account on 
the website. I've never seen the ability to book restaurants and IT can't fix this either. So I 
was able to book my dinner reservation via emails and with the very good help of customer service 
and the same contact person again. 
I don't do excursions with the apsurte Explora prices, but book them directly on the tour operator's
websites.

4 minutes ago, Henk123 said:
Azamara also has major problems with this software.

Same here at home with my account via the website. Couldn't create an account on the website at 
first. Resolved quickly via email to Customer Service with good help. 
Afterwards you could not create an account in the app to check in. This was repaired with the help
 of the same person at Customer Service, the IT department and TA.
After checking in via the app, the option to view/book excursions disappeared under my account on 
the website. I've never seen the ability to book restaurants and IT can't fix this either. So I 
was able to book my dinner reservation via emails and with the very good help of customer service 
and the same contact person again. 
I don't do excursions with the apsurte Explora prices, but book them directly on the tour operator's
websites.

We usually not do excursions with the cruise line either.  I have $2300 in OBC much of it non refundable (some $800 from Explora and other $500 from the TA group and 1K refundable).  I would like to see what is available to plan what we use Explora and what we do private.  Will book the excursions once on board.

Next week we sail on Silversea -- where the planning and booking of excursions plus specialties went flawlessly... 🙂

At first our reservation didn’t appear on the website after logging in. We asked our TA to work with Explora to resolve this. It took a week, but got done. After that, everything incl. online check-in has been smooth, and the app works great once on board on the ship’s WiFi. 

• Like 2

The common thread (between Explora and Azamara) seems to be Seaware.  Sadly, there doesn't seem to be another available software package for small cruise lines.  Maybe Elon Musk should buy Seaware and make it even worse!

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The common thread (between Explora and Azamara) seems to be Seaware. 

Not only IT but also people gone from Azamara to Explora. But that part is possitive 😃 (Is Heike allready onboard?)

Edited by Henk123

I get it, at least we have not lost our reservation but we are now 25 days since first highlighting the issue....

The app will not let any photos be uploaded so cannot complete anything on line that way though we are able to enter the check in process (I have scanned in my passport no problem) so that is getting further than the website

The Customer Service agent I think got quite sharp when I emailed querying what was happening last week (that was after my gobbledegook name email) saying they were personally in charge of the issue and would update me when there was news - in other words dont ask us we will tell you..... (if we remember).  Maybe its me, I prefer regular touch base updates even if its we are still working on this

3 hours ago, uktog said:

I get it, at least we have not lost our reservation but we are now 25 days since first highlighting the issue....

The app will not let any photos be uploaded so cannot complete anything on line that way though we are able to enter the check in process (I have scanned in my passport no problem) so that is getting further than the website

The Customer Service agent I think got quite sharp when I emailed querying what was happening last week (that was after my gobbledegook name email) saying they were personally in charge of the issue and would update me when there was news - in other words dont ask us we will tell you..... (if we remember).  Maybe its me, I prefer regular touch base updates even if its we are still working on this

I had the same line.   He phone me after complaining again.  Said he will let me know when fixed.

My TA is back tomorrow from his Explora vacation and F1 race in Austin. 

Not worried just a pain -- My Engineering background requires me to be a detailed planner.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2023 at 2:37 AM, Henk123 said:

Not only IT but also people gone from Azamara to Explora. But that part is possitive 😃 (Is Heike allready onboard?)

Here's a thought for you to consider:

1) Current onboard management is unable to make changes because of rigid policy directives from HQ.

2) The wonderful Heike is supposed to come onboard soon.

3) What is the realistic likelihood that corporate HQ, which has continued to hold tight reins on ship management, even in the face of customer feedback, will suddenly reverse course because of the presence of one person?

The level of optimism being shown around here is amazing.

I am glad some folks can check in for December.  I have had another email exchange with an Ambassador today who reconfirms the issue has been referred to the IT department but suggests I transfer all my information to the travel agent so they can do the check in - em - given the check in info required - card numbers etc not an option, there is no secure way to do this -  and in any event they can't get the system to work

I asked for information on the excursions as we cannot access information on them.  We have received a beautiful brochure - but no prices despite asking for them.  I get the sense with Explora you aren't supposed to worry about prices!

And they were unable to give me any information on how to make reservations for the speciality  restaurants

33 minutes ago, uktog said:

I am glad some folks can check in for December.  I have had another email exchange with an Ambassador today who reconfirms the issue has been referred to the IT department but suggests I transfer all my information to the travel agent so they can do the check in - em - given the check in info required - card numbers etc not an option, there is no secure way to do this -  and in any event they can't get the system to work

I asked for information on the excursions as we cannot access information on them.  We have received a beautiful brochure - but no prices despite asking for them.  I get the sense with Explora you aren't supposed to worry about prices!

And they were unable to give me any information on how to make reservations for the speciality  restaurants

same issue with excursions.  Gave me a link that had just some basic descriptions with no times or prices.  I would not book in advance anyway because of the issue of OBC and using these for excursions in advance - but I would like to plan on which ship ones I do and what private ones are done.

IT IS 18 days without being able to check in -- and 10 days with No Reservation Showing -- Explora customer care at its best. 

45 minutes ago, uktog said:

I recall making dinner reservations by calling the sales number. 

Doesn’t your TA already have your credit card details from when they process the various deposits and final payments for your bookings?