NYC to Bermuda - January?

wezie

11 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Well to each their own. I walk 3 miles every day but on empty streets and trails with no luggage. In January there might be snow and ice. I used to travel from DC to Manhattan many times a month which brings up something  else. You really should go a day early. I would advise that any time of year but in the winter there are often delays and cancellations. Amtrak equipment runs great in fair weather but in cold or hot weather lots of problems with equipment, overhead wires, switches freezing. 

the nice thing about DC to NY is there are so many options.  I've always gone the day before when leaving any other port, but I have no worries about getting to NY day of.    It will be a waste of $$$ for me to spend on NY hotel prices.  Even in a blizzard, it's not problem getting to NY

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

Even in a blizzard, it's not problem getting to NY

Well good luck with that. I have been unable to get to New York several times from DC over the years.If you get on a train and the wires go down or the signal system goes down  or other service disruption like a fatality on the rails there is often no escape en route. I have been on stuck trains and delayed more than 8 hours. Statistically the odds are in your favor because my experience was  going from New York to DC over 100 trips ever.y yeat for 27 years. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

Re: the notion of going to Bermuda out of NYC during cool/cold weather months...

I did a 5 day Bermuda cruise on NCL in December 2021.  Yes, it was chilly on the way in and out of NYC, but the weather in Bermuda was way warmer than my Upstate NY home (high 60's, low 70's), so I was happy to do it.  I got fed, had plenty of drinks, met really nice people, and had a good time.

Oh, the sunset leaving the NYC port was spectacular.

Anyway, I'd do it.  Have a great cruise (if you take it)!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The problem is that there are few sailings that do St. George's and Hamiltion and most of those are during hurricane season. I almost booked an Oceania this past September  sailing and that one was diverted so glad I did not book it. I won't book NCL anymore as my last NCL cruise which was a December sailing to the Bahmas was the pits. …

I was on Oceania’s 9/13 sailing intended for Bermuda - which was diverted to Nassau.  While Nassau is the dregs of cruise ports, a good part of my reason for sailing is the shipboard experience - which I find unacceptable on NCL, unsatisfactory on Royal Caribbean, and just OK on Celebrity - so I  still feel I made the right choice.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I was on Oceania’s 9/13 sailing intended for Bermuda - which was diverted to Nassau.  While Nassau is the dregs of cruise ports, a good part of my reason for sailing is the shipboard experience - which I find unacceptable on NCL, unsatisfactory on Royal Caribbean, and just OK on Celebrity - so I  still feel I made the right choice.

I don't disagree with you but would have been disappointed with Nassau over getting to Bermuda (obviously couldn't be helped in this particular situation). But they do have you figured out from a tiered brand standpoint-- in the end NCL still got your money...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

I don't disagree with you but would have been disappointed with Nassau over getting to Bermuda (obviously couldn't be helped in this particular situation). But they do have you figured out from a tiered brand standpoint-- in the end NCL still got your money...

I would have been really bummed out if I had booked that sailing and ended up in Nassau.

4 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Yes - but I got value for the money I spent, notwithstanding loss of intended port of call. I have nothing against NCL as a corporation  - just a profound disinterest in putting up with sailing on their main subsidiary.

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I would have been really bummed out if I had booked that sailing and ended up in Nassau.

There is no such thing as a sure thing - and booking any cruise involves the risk of weather- dictated modifications.  That is why you need to be happy with the shipboard experience and not rely solely on the itinerary being as originally contemplated.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

There is no such thing as a sure thing - and booking any cruise involves the risk of weather- dictated modifications.  That is why you need to be happy with the shipboard experience and not rely solely on the itinerary being as originally contemplated.

The food and service is great on Oceania but the demographic is geriatric. I am a senior but still have vigor. I noticed on the Bermuda sailing on Oceania a large percentage didn’t get off all three days.They could barely walk. So going to Nassau would not make a difference to them. They would stay onboard in port either destination. I book Oceania for destinations not the shipboard experience. Insignia is not that thrilling a ship either. Them public areas are meh. Entertainment and activities werevmeh. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2023 at 7:56 PM, wezie said:

Thank you!  How will the seas be? 

We sail out of NY a lot for the convenience.   It's been 60F & the seas were like glass.  It has snowed. Usually it's just bitter cold.   There was a nor'easter one time coming home with like 20 foot seas, you had to hold the rails & when you went to take your next step, the floor wasn't in the same place it had been when you picked your foot up.  One NYE, 1st night out it was manageable but rough the next day; that was awful.  I could have handled the rough seas OR my hangover but the combo was deadly for me & most passenger's.  There were stacks of empty barf bags at every junction point.   Before noon the whole ship smelled faintly of puke so many people were sick.   

On 10/23/2023 at 10:07 PM, dbrown84 said:

I'm just hoping it's warm enough to walk to the cruise terminal from the train station.  

It's not an easy walk.  The sidewalks in that area are very crowded & broken up.  There is a lot of industrial traffic.  It's kind of seedy.  NYC is what it is but that part of my town is one of my least favorite to walk around alone as a single woman.  Cross the west side highway with luggage is not for the faint of heart.    Take a taxi to the port & if you think it's walkable, you can walk back to station when you disembark.  You can always try it & then hail a cab mid way.  

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2023 at 11:49 PM, Charles4515 said:

The food and service is great on Oceania but the demographic is geriatric. I am a senior but still have vigor. I noticed on the Bermuda sailing on Oceania a large percentage didn’t get off all three days.They could barely walk. So going to Nassau would not make a difference to them. They would stay onboard in port either destination. I book Oceania for destinations not the shipboard experience. Insignia is not that thrilling a ship either. Them public areas are meh. Entertainment and activities werevmeh. 

I am not sure what you mean by “geriatric”.  Yes, there were not a lot of college students, or young children, imposing their life styles - but I see enough college students and young children among my own descendants - so I have absolutely no need to borrow others when traveling for my enjoyment.  I enjoy spending time with folks of my generation - who are willing to pay a bit more than bargain fares for a mobbed cruise experience.

On 10/24/2023 at 11:25 AM, Nitemare said:

With just carryon/pull bags it's a nice walk if it is a sunny day.  We love to walk in NYC and that distance is nothing to us (Battery Park to Central Park is one of our faves, but not with luggage).  With big bags it might not be great as there are some rough sidewalks you will be bumping over

I am also considering walking from the Port Authority in NYC to Manhattan Cruise Terminal with a carry on only.  Rome2Rio says it is a 24 minute walk. I grew up in NJ across the river from NYC so familiar with it but worry a little that the neighborhood between 41st and 8th ave might be a bit seedy. 

On 10/22/2023 at 5:35 PM, wezie said:

Hi.  I am thinking about sailing out of NY to Bermuda in January.  Has anyone done this before?  Are the seas rough? How about the weather in Bermuda in January?

Is that this coming January 2024?  I am booked on that cruise.  I've sailed the Atlantic in January. It was pleasant although definitely not pool weather.   Snowed some.  

On 10/23/2023 at 1:12 PM, Nitemare said:

It's going to be VERY cold in NYC, just pretty cool in Bermuda.  I am surprised they even offer this cruise.  Must be some contractual obligation, it can't be due to demand.  

Yes, it could be bitter cold walking to the Manhattan Cruise Termial, or maybe not

On 10/23/2023 at 11:41 PM, Charles4515 said:

Because it is a long walk even though it might not look long on a map. The avenues are spaced far apart. The sidewalks are packed with people. You probably have luggage. 

long walk from where?  If its from the Port Authority terminal I dont think the streets from that and the docks will be crowded with people.  Might be kind of "sketchy" though

On 10/25/2023 at 5:40 PM, Langoustine said:

Rough, probably. But it is the Atlantic Ocean, after all.

I wrote in another comment that sailing from NYC to Southampton England in January was not bad.  One night the seas were a bit rough but not terrible.  Maybe I was lucky

20 hours ago, trish1c said:

We sail out of NY a lot for the convenience.   It's been 60F & the seas were like glass.  It has snowed. Usually it's just bitter cold.   There was a nor'easter one time coming home with like 20 foot seas, you had to hold the rails & when you went to take your next step, the floor wasn't in the same place it had been when you picked your foot up.  One NYE, 1st night out it was manageable but rough the next day; that was awful.  I could have handled the rough seas OR my hangover but the combo was deadly for me & most passenger's.  There were stacks of empty barf bags at every junction point.   Before noon the whole ship smelled faintly of puke so many people were sick.   

It's not an easy walk.  The sidewalks in that area are very crowded & broken up.  There is a lot of industrial traffic.  It's kind of seedy.  NYC is what it is but that part of my town is one of my least favorite to walk around alone as a single woman.  Cross the west side highway with luggage is not for the faint of heart.    Take a taxi to the port & if you think it's walkable, you can walk back to station when you disembark.  You can always try it & then hail a cab mid way.  

Good advice!  I forgot about the West Side Highway   Bad weather could make it a treacherous walk

10 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I am also considering walking from the Port Authority in NYC to Manhattan Cruise Terminal with a carry on only.  Rome2Rio says it is a 24 minute walk. I grew up in NJ across the river from NYC so familiar with it but worry a little that the neighborhood between 41st and 8th ave might be a bit seedy. 

If you walk west on 42nd St (a major street) to 12th Ave, and then up to the cruise terminal you should be OK in late morning/early

2 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I wrote in another comment that sailing from NYC to Southampton England in January was not bad.  One night the seas were a bit rough but not terrible.  Maybe I was lucky

2 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

afternoon;  not pretty, but reasonably safe. 

40 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

If you walk west on 42nd St (a major street) to 12th Ave, and then up to the cruise terminal you should be OK in late morning/early

Thanks, good to know  Its been awhile since I walked NYC but I have been hearing terrible reports. 

6 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

I grew up in NJ across the river from NYC so familiar with it but worry a little that the neighborhood between 41st and 8th ave might be a bit seedy. 

Parts are run down but I would not go as far as to call the neighborhood seedy or sketchy. I have walked that area several times but I had no bags of any kind. it is not as simple as it appears when you have luggage.

Edited by Charles4515

51 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Parts are run down but I would not go as far as to call the neighborhood seedy or sketchy. I have walked that area several times but I had no bags of any kind. it is not as simple as it appears when you have luggage.

We are talking about late morning or early afternoon while getting to the cruise terminal - while not a  prime New York neighborhood, it is pretty safe that time of day.. Of course, if I am paying for a cruise I am likely to be willing to spring for a $10 or so taxi ride rather than trundle my bags for a half hour or so -- it is meant to be a good time, after all.

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

i know, especialy if the sidewalks are icy

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

We are talking about late morning or early afternoon while getting to the cruise terminal - while not a  prime New York neighborhood, it is pretty safe that time of day.. Of course, if I am paying for a cruise I am likely to be willing to spring for a $10 or so taxi ride rather than trundle my bags for a half hour or so -- it is meant to be a good time, after all.

I hear you.  I can only speak for myself, but the walk would be a good time.  it wouldn't be about spending the money on the taxi.  Granted it's not much of a walk (being that it's only about 30 minutes), but it's better than nothing.