The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday October 23rd, 2023

richwmn

3 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

Finally been able to read the Daily News again after purchasing the wifi , did not know how much the price had increased for that even for a 5* Mariner ………$250 for about 23 days ? 

Thank you everybody for the good wishes for us traveling to Europe . Our flight was great direct from Toronto to Athens and DW and I had each  4 seats available because the plane only had 68 people on board less than 25 % occupancy . 
Weather is great and we are steaming right now towards Kotor , Montenegro after a couple of nice days in Greece and Turkey .

Found a few CC active readers and lurkers to fill Tony’s Tours ! 

Greetings and Best Wishes

Tony 

Hi, Tony, Keep the ship happy for us!  I have found that wifi on the ship usually averages about US$10 a day, even with our mingy 5- star discount!  But I'm happy to hear you have it and can keep in touch.   Are you going to have a Cellar Master dinner?  Sign us up if you are, for the TA!  

See you soon!

• Like 11

Happy Monday everyone. We’re spending a few days on Ocean Shores on the Washington coast, just for a quick getaway. The drive was easy and the trees are beautiful with all their colors. Then at the end of next week we leave for DS’s house near Atlanta for a week. After that it’s nearly Thanksgiving. Where has the year gone? Stay well everyone.

• Like 15

DH & I could used some good juju.....he had to go back to the ER today for chest pain & shortness of breath....turns out he needs to take the narcotic they prescribed post-op & not just the Tylenol.  I was supposed to get my 2nd set of steroid shots for my back but I checked in for my 2:15 appointment at 2, was still in the waiting room at 3 with no explanation as to why....I cancelled the appt & hope to reschedule it for later this week.....I'll keep taking the ES Tylenol.....GRRRR!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 8

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, I wonder if it is worth it to replace the motor home with a new one at this stage in your life.  In 1991 we bought a new Winnebago small motorhome built on a Toyota 1 ton pickup chassis.  We used it to drive down to the Oregon coast and to visit our relatives in Iowa a few times.  We used it for a few years, but after thinking about the hassle of finding a motorhome park, draining the tanks and filling the water tank, its gas mileage compared to a car, the cost of licensing and insuring it and watching it depreciate, and the ease and low cost of just pulling into a motel while driving to Iowa, we finally decided to sell it.  Haven't missed it and replaced it with long cruises all over the world since then.

Ray

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, I wonder if it is worth it to replace the motor home with a new one at this stage in your life.  In 1991 we bought a new Winnebago small motorhome built on a Toyota 1 ton pickup chassis.  We used it to drive down to the Oregon coast and to visit our relatives in Iowa a few times.  We used it for a few years, but after thinking about the hassle of finding a motorhome park, draining the tanks and filling the water tank, its gas mileage compared to a car, the cost of licensing and insuring it and watching it depreciate, and the ease and low cost of just pulling into a motel while driving to Iowa, we finally decided to sell it.  Haven't missed it and replaced it with long cruises all over the world since then.

Ray

Ray, that is something to think about.  Until about five or six years ago, we spent all or part of the summer in the motorhome, and cruising in the spring and fall and maybe even part of the summer.  Over the years, because of high daily campground fees, we found we were staying in one place for a month or longer.  Now, we use the motorhome basically to move between Texas and Quartzsite.  We like the convenice of having our place lto stay and eat with us as opposed to finding a motel and places to eat.  Out motorhome is also our guest room here and in Arizona.

In addition to the 24 year old diesel pusher,a few years ago, we bought a small motorhome to use in national and state parks along with Forest Service campgrounds.  So there is the option to keep it, and get rid of the bigger motorhome.

Obviously, we have a lot to think about.

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I knew about mole as a term in chemistry, but I was ready to discuss how to get the tunneling animals out of your lawn. I think that the best talk-show hosts were decades ago: Mike Douglas, Virginia Graham, both on in the daytime, and Dick Cavett at night.

The soup would be OK. No on the pseudotini. For a Pinot Noir, how about Zugibe Vineyards 2020. I haven't been to New Zealand.

15 hours ago, richwmn said:

1977 Paleontologist Elso Barghoorn announces discovery of a 3.4-billion year old one-celled fossil, one of the earliest life forms on Earth

Are you sure that this wasn't the former governor of Ohio?

I woke up at 4:30 a.m. today, and while I did get some rest later, I didn't nap, and didn't have the energy to do some things that needed doing. However, I did turn in a class assignment that isn't due for another two weeks - it was ready and I don't know whether I'll have internet access then.

I also did two loads of laundry, one of things that I intend to pack and one of things that were merely dirty, paired the new AirTag (but had a really hard time finding the first one, although I could hear its beeping), and set the combinations for four small padlocks. I think I need one more, and I also think I have it, but I don't know where it is and it doesn't beep.

It is confusing and annoying to think about packing for what will amount to four different climates: here in NYS; Madrid, where it will likely be on the cool side; the ports, which will probably be warm to very warm; and the Atlantic, where anything is possible. Plus a few hours in Fort Lauderdale, then back here, where by that time it could be definitely cold.

I've never really wanted a motorhome, except when I was reading Travels With Charley - and that was a pickup camper, not what motorhome usually means now. Once in a while I still think that it sounds good.

12 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Now, we use the motorhome basically to move between Texas and Quartzsite.  We like the convenice of having our place lto stay and eat with us as opposed to finding a motel and places to eat.

Last week I was in a Zoom meeting with someone who was moving from Pennsylvania to, I think, Georgia in a small motorhome. I don't know whether he owned it, or had rented it just for the move.

ghostancestry.thumb.jpg.f6ac29b8337a8946057b63dad93020ab.jpg

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

Good evening!  We had some lightening and thunder this evening, which again was not in the forecast, however rain is forecasted for tomorrow. We shall see. 

Joy @Seasick Sailor, thank you for following through with the CC hosts for a reason to why the Daily is locked every day. It makes sense. I agree that having a continuous thread would be unwieldy and confusing. It would also be very difficult to catch up with missed days. And can you imagine looking for ports of the day and pictures?

My first thought about mole day was Mole Sauce. My mind just goes to food first. 

I will pass on the soup today but do love Greek lemon soup that has rice in it. 

I received a phone call from my PCC that final payment will be due for our cruise next week. This has turned out to be a more expensive cruise than I expected, the excursions in Hawaii are outrageous. But I think I’ve planned them well and I’m thankful that we’ve both been there before. 

Have a good evening!

• Like 9

5 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I knew about mole as a term in chemistry, but I was ready to discuss how to get the tunneling animals out of your lawn. I think that the best talk-show hosts were decades ago: Mike Douglas, Virginia Graham, both on in the daytime, and Dick Cavett at night.

The soup would be OK. No on the pseudotini. For a Pinot Noir, how about Zugibe Vineyards 2020. I haven't been to New Zealand.

Are you sure that this wasn't the former governor of Ohio?

I woke up at 4:30 a.m. today, and while I did get some rest later, I didn't nap, and didn't have the energy to do some things that needed doing. However, I did turn in a class assignment that isn't due for another two weeks - it was ready and I don't know whether I'll have internet access then.

I also did two loads of laundry, one of things that I intend to pack and one of things that were merely dirty, paired the new AirTag (but had a really hard time finding the first one, although I could hear its beeping), and set the combinations for four small padlocks. I think I need one more, and I also think I have it, but I don't know where it is and it doesn't beep.

It is confusing and annoying to think about packing for what will amount to four different climates: here in NYS; Madrid, where it will likely be on the cool side; the ports, which will probably be warm to very warm; and the Atlantic, where anything is possible. Plus a few hours in Fort Lauderdale, then back here, where by that time it could be definitely cold.

I've never really wanted a motorhome, except when I was reading Travels With Charley - and that was a pickup camper, not what motorhome usually means now. Once in a while I still think that it sounds good.

Last week I was in a Zoom meeting with someone who was moving from Pennsylvania to, I think, Georgia in a small motorhome. I don't know whether he owned it, or had rented it just for the move.

ghostancestry.thumb.jpg.f6ac29b8337a8946057b63dad93020ab.jpg

A couple of years ago after having a new back lawn laid a mole took up residence.

We tried various methods over 3-4 months with no success.

I bought a tube with metal shutters on each end which opened inwards only and dug down to its tunnel and placed it there.

It worked perfectly and i caught the mole.

I have used it a couple of times and got rid of 2 moles.

Screenshot_20231024_084615.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2