Train from Regensburg to MUC

SnowshoeCat

My cruise ends in Regensburg (water levels permitting) and I have a same-day flight out of Munich. The cruise company offers a transfer, door to door, for about $150 US. There is a direct train to the airport terminal that leaves at the perfect time, and that's only about 35 EUR. Other trains involve a bus transfer at Freising, which also seem perfectly manageable. I travel light, have taken trains frequently, and wonder if this is a reliable option.

Train with O stops looks the best as it by passes Munich and goes from Freising to Flughafen.  Also be cautious the db bahn can have strikes etc, but looks real easy.  We only once had a strike situation that messed us up, otherwise sometimes they can be late too, just take an early one.

I did the train from Passau to Freising then bus to airport earlier this year.  It was easy to do but the bus was very crowded.  If you can get a train directly to the airport station, that would be my choice.

10 hours ago, rcaruso said:

Train with O stops looks the best as it by passes Munich and goes from Freising to Flughafen.  

Actually the train does not bypass Munich as the airport is outside of Munich to the North East - so inbetween Regensburg and Munich ;-).

@SnowshoeCat that direct train is a pretty good (and still fairly new) option. And I would prefer that over the train/bus via Freising. But the train/bus via Freising is easy to manage too. The bus station is right next to the train station. The bus can be crowded. The direct train is definitely more comfortable.

steamboats

• Like 1

Go for the train. We have visited Regensburg via train from Munich and it's not a far walk from the station to the river bank. Depending on where you dock, you could almost walk to the train station from the boat if you're traveling light. I know that I'd try!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steamboats said:

Actually the train does not bypass Munich as the airport is outside of Munich to the North East - so inbetween Regensburg and Munich ;-).

@SnowshoeCat that direct train is a pretty good (and still fairly new) option. And I would prefer that over the train/bus via Freising. But the train/bus via Freising is easy to manage too. The bus station is right next to the train station. The bus can be crowded. The direct train is definitely more comfortable.

steamboats

You are so right.  I meant going to the Munich HBF and taking S bahn to Flughafen by the bypass.  We've done the bus also, and yes can get crowded but very easy.  Was nice to see a train go direct to the Flughafen with no transfers. 

6 hours ago, steamboats said:

steamboats

The direct train is what I was looking at. The timing is perfect for my flight. When I mentioned "bus", I meant the transfer offered by the cruise company.  I don't mind walking to the train station. I'm just not sure I want to deal with that at 5:30 in the morning.

Steamboats, another question if you don't mind. My original, pre-cruise plan was to take the train from Munich to Vienna, stopping overnight in Prien am Chiemsee, which is right on the main line to Salzburg. When I was there many years ago, we just hopped on the train to Salzburg. Now it seems I'd have to backtrack to Rosenheim, then transfer to the faster train. Is Prien no longer a stop for the faster, direct trains? It was so convenient before. And thank you for all your help.

Edited by SnowshoeCat

6 minutes ago, SnowshoeCat said:

Steamboats, another question if you don't mind. My original, pre-cruise plan was to take the train from Munich to Vienna, stopping overnight in Prien am Chiemsee, which is right on the main line. When I was there many years ago, we just hopped on the train to Salzburg. Now it seems I'd have to backtrack to Rosenheim, then transfer to the faster train. Is Prien no longer a stop for the faster, direct trains? It was so convenient before. And thank you for all your help.

There´s a fast train from Munich Central to Vienna via Salzburg which is operated by Austrian RailJet. As for Prien I don´t think that any German IC/ICE trains will stopp there (maybe during summer). So the next major station is indeed Rosenheim for trains to Salzburg and onwards to Vienna. 

So you have to take the regional train (RE) to Prien and from Prien to Rosenheim (or Salzburg) to catch the faster ones to Vienna.

steamboats

• Like 1

Thank you again for your information and quick reply. I was there in the summer, so maybe that's why there was better train service. It wasn't an ICE train, but it was direct and only about 45 minutes to Salzburg. We'd go for the afternoon, have coffee and cake, then return to Prien.

• Like 1

@jpalbny Ref your comment about taking the train from Munich to Regensburg. We are on B2B river cruises in Dec, disembarking the first one and embarking the second one in Regensburg. Instead of going on the tour of Regensburg twice (last day of first cruise and first day of second cruise), we thought we would take the train to Munich from Regensburg one of the days. Is it easy to walk to Marienplatz from the Munich train station? I agree that it doesn't look very far from where the ship docks in Regensburg to walk to the train station.

50 minutes ago, twototravel said:

Is it easy to walk to Marienplatz from the Munich train station?

Yes. IIRC there is a big intersection along the way but easy enough. And a good portion of the route after that is pedestrianized.

5 hours ago, twototravel said:

@jpalbny Ref your comment about taking the train from Munich to Regensburg. We are on B2B river cruises in Dec, disembarking the first one and embarking the second one in Regensburg. Instead of going on the tour of Regensburg twice (last day of first cruise and first day of second cruise), we thought we would take the train to Munich from Regensburg one of the days. Is it easy to walk to Marienplatz from the Munich train station? I agree that it doesn't look very far from where the ship docks in Regensburg to walk to the train station.

Also, if you take Bayern Pass it will include the S & U Bahns in Munich and you can get off a train and take I think the  S Bahn to Marianplatz.  From there most everything is easy.

@twototravel Yes, it´s an easy walk to Marienplatz. It´s all pedestrian area except for the two crossings which have an underground passing.

Marienplatz is two stops by S-Bahn (suburban train) from Hauptbahnhof. The S-Bahn runs underground there. As rcaruso mentioned, the Bayern-Ticket includes all regional trains and all public transportation. So you can use the S-Bahn as well.

The Munich Central (Hauptbahnhof) is currently a big mess as parts of the building complex have been turned down. But from the train tracks go to the left and one floor down. There you can hardly miss the entrance to the S-Bahn (signs: green S on white ground).

steamboats

• Like 2