Queen Anne

Minnie29

Posted (edited)

Clearly, the narrator has had far more exciting times in the "infamous" Queens Room and Golden Lion than most of us might even imagine.

Curious that the "promenade" deck does not elicit even the most casual of interest by these "reviewers" and that perhaps tells us all what we need to know. 

Edited by WantedOnVoyage
  • Like 1

Very thorough tour, I like most everything but the extremely spartan and under furnished Queens Room.

The contemporary look is generally attractive, far less radical than QE2 was in 1969.

Seems like plenty of outdoor spaces topside, including ample shaded areas.

Once the service concerns shake out should be worth a try.

1 hour ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Clearly, the narrator has had far more exciting times in the "infamous" Queens Room and Golden Lion than most of us might even imagine.

Curious that the "promenade" deck does not elicit even the most casual of interest by these "reviewers" and that perhaps tells us all what we need to know. 

It was quite wet and windy during the day so many didn’t venture outside 

• Like 1

The Queens Room doesn't have the luxurious look as on the other ships. I hope it's better in person.

I'm concerned about one comment in the section about the Pavillion. "Non-stop entertainment" could mean they blare music and show videos all the time. I hated that aspect of the Princess cruise we did--there was no outdoor lounging space that was quiet (unless you paid for the "retreat" area). HAL shows films at night, but during the day their midship pool area is not blasting music or the audio from films. 

• Like 2

On 5/4/2024 at 12:51 PM, WantedOnVoyage said:

Carry on Cleo

(Kenneth Williams)

"Infamy, infamy, they've all got it infamy" 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

And then there's the bad news.

The Queen's Room.

A "Grand Ballroom", it is not. It's not just the dance floor, though that's bad enough. It's the whole room. It feels like a hotel function suite. I had written 'corporate hotel', but it doesn't even aspire to that. Think cheap wedding venue. When you walk in from the aft end the first thing you see is the bar (which does have bar seating!), it's the focal point of the room. And the size! A quick scan around today at afternoon tea, a port day and overflowing,  suggests it has maybe a bit more than half the seats of QE or QV. On a ship that has 50% more passengers.

I've tried taking some photos to illustrate but none of them really show the true picture.  I'll keep trying.

This YT video gives a decent idea of the size and look of the QR, from both top and bottom level views:

5 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Prommenade Deck- what prommenade Deck? There isn´t any on board QA that would earn that name. LOL. A sheltered walkway rather, with one or two "open spots"!

There is. Deck three.

Promenade is just a fancy, often/seaside'y way of saying walk way and the fact the other  ships have wide/er ones doesn't take away the fact you can walk or jog around the ship.

I shall be getting in my six to nine laps a day, hopefully, even if I have to be more picky on timing in order to avoid popular times for the strollers.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Thetis22 said:

QA: is afternoon tea for the Grills served in the Grills Lounge or the restaurants? Thanks

I think it said it was in the PG restaurant. I certainly hope so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am a fairly frequent Cunard and P&O cruiser and I think Carnival is splitting the brand like they have done with P&O. In P&O there are the 2 newer ships with different markets/feel to the 2 adult older ships and then there’s the middle ground ships.
Queen Anne, I think, is a new type of Queen with a different target audience. I believe that in time the prices charged for Queen Anne cruises will be significantly cheaper than the other Queens (for similar itineraries) just like now for P&O.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BouncingWheel said:

I am a fairly frequent Cunard and P&O cruiser and I think Carnival is splitting the brand like they have done with P&O. In P&O there are the 2 newer ships with different markets/feel to the 2 adult older ships and then there’s the middle ground ships.
Queen Anne, I think, is a new type of Queen with a different target audience. I believe that in time the prices charged for Queen Anne cruises will be significantly cheaper than the other Queens (for similar itineraries) just like now for P&O.

If that is the case, they will have to do something about the itineraries. At present QA is the only ship doing frequent European cruises from Southampton, something many current passengers value. 

• Like 4

Thanks Victoria- as I can see- you took my little joke literally- I know there is a prommenade deck- it´s just that in my book a prommenade deck looks - well like on board the other Queens. LOL.

On 5/3/2024 at 2:39 PM, NE John said:

In the very limited videos I have seen, the ship looks more like a boutique hotel vs a Cunard ship.

We shall reserve judgement until we board QA in a few weeks time, but I can’t say that I’ve been overly impressed from the few videos I’ve seen so far.

P&O U.K. have done the same thing. We really didn’t like the public areas on Iona and felt that they were like a conference hotel, and the atrium like a shopping mall or airport. I wonder if the same interior designers were used for Queen Anne?

I was also shocked at how poor the promenade deck looked. It may be how the camera has captured it, but it seems very narrow and very large portions of it have no view out as they are obscured by lifeboats. On many other cruise ships the lifeboats are suspended above the promenade deck and you walk underneath them, so that the view isn’t compromised. I guess that the approach on QA allows for more unobstructed balcony cabins or public rooms?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Germancruiser said:

Thanks Victoria- as I can see- you took my little joke literally- I know there is a prommenade deck- it´s just that in my book a prommenade deck looks - well like on board the other Queens. LOL.

Sorry. With all the negative promenade deck comments around, I like to be positive...until I've been mown down/have mown down others not going the same speed if there's no way of avoidance. 🙂

1 hour ago, BouncingWheel said:

I don't think so . On P&O the two mega ships,  have significantly less crew per passenger than older smaller ships. Which is what gives them scope to reduce prices.

QA has a similar staff to passenger ratio as other Queens, so expect same service and same cost . The only thing that can make it cheaper is lower running fuel costs of a newer ship.  

On 5/2/2024 at 5:56 PM, Pear Carr said:

I must say I prefer the look/style of the PG cabins and restaurant compared to QG - good job that’s what we have booked!!

Agree. We've got a PG in August and much prefer the look of the cabin and the restaurant.

12 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I don't think so . On P&O the two mega ships,  have significantly less crew per passenger than older smaller ships. Which is what gives them scope to reduce prices.

QA has a similar staff to passenger ratio as other Queens, so expect same service and same cost . The only thing that can make it cheaper is lower running fuel costs of a newer ship.  

I understand that but the defining factor is supply and demand. They will have to fill most of those cabins somehow. Time will tell if they get the sufficient number of new cruisers to Cunard to compensate for the loss of current Cunard clients not using this ship. The loss may be very small and new cruisers high so her prices will stay high but my bet is that they will be discounted. Obviously they have to keep filling the current Queens too but again my personal opinion is that they will keep the same levels of demand without to much trouble.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BouncingWheel said:

I understand that but the defining factor is supply and demand. They will have to fill most of those cabins somehow. Time will tell if they get the sufficient number of new cruisers to Cunard to compensate for the loss of current Cunard clients not using this ship. The loss may be very small and new cruisers high so her prices will stay high but my bet is that they will be discounted. Obviously they have to keep filling the current Queens too but again my personal opinion is that they will keep the same levels of demand without to much trouble.

Given her ex Southampton itineraries I will choose her over the other Queens who may or may be not sailing from Southampton. I can’t think there will be much discounting. I have not seen anything  yet I wouldn’t like but I have seen plenty that interests me. 

Concerning the promenade, I've seen a sign posted elsewhere with the following information.

PROMENADE DECK

2.5 Laps = 1 Mile

Jogging permitted

8.00am - 8.00pm

<<<

We recommend following a

clockwise circuit when using the

Promenade Deck to exercise

I suspect @roscoe39 may be quite pleased with this arrangement for the recommended direction of travel around the promenade on Queen Anne. 🙂

Are those on board for the maiden voyage following that recommendation to travel clockwise around the promenade?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Concerning the promenade, I've seen a sign posted elsewhere with the following information.

PROMENADE DECK

2.5 Laps = 1 Mile

Jogging permitted

8.00am - 8.00pm

<<<

We recommend following a

clockwise circuit when using the

Promenade Deck to exercise

I suspect @roscoe39 may be quite pleased with this arrangement for the recommended direction of travel around the promenade on Queen Anne. 🙂

Are those on board for the maiden voyage following that recommendation to travel clockwise around the promenade?

I wonder if this one way system is actually sensible. It means joggers are constantly getting stuck behind amblers like me, who can’t easily see them. To avoid stiff necks and possible collisions, it would be better if joggers went one way, and strollers the other, so each could see the other coming and take suitable action, don’t you think?

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I wonder if this one way system is actually sensible. It means joggers are constantly getting stuck behind amblers like me, who can’t easily see them. To avoid stiff necks and possible collisions, it would be better if joggers went one way, and strollers the other, so each could see the other coming and take suitable action, don’t you think?

What a good idea. We like ambling as well and it's not always easy to see out the back of your head to avoid people approaching from behind!

21 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I don't think it will help much. The space is awfully narrow, so the strollers will still have to squish against a wall to get out of the way. Perhaps the narrowness of it will drive the runners to the machinery in the exercise area. 

The pictures of QA's "promenade" deck look worse than I remember Koningsdam being. I wonder if the extra length has made the narrowest parts longer.

I'm not sure there will be much if a loss, may not look as traditional  but QA also has many advantages over the older ships.  Better bathrooms.  More dining choices . 

• Like 1