Birmingham Airport Warning

Interestedcruisefan

Flew from Birmingham airport to Montego Bay today. (Non cruise holiday)

We had been warned there may be delays getting through security due to a major refurbishment that's going on

So I pre-booked fast track security.

Thank God we did. 

2 hours queues to get through for everyone else. Barely anyone was eating breakfast with us as the were all still queuing 

Horrendous. But we were able to bypass

They were constantly shouting for people on the next flights due out to come forward from the queue to get through in time

Warn anyone you know who is due to use Birmingham next couple of months

Was 5 pounds each for 6 of us and will be the best 30 pounds I spend on my holidays all year

My kids were saying that fast track was better than anything we've ever bypassed at theme parks in Orlando in the past!!

Lol

Never seen the breakfast restaurants so empty. Most were having to rush straight from security direct to their gates

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Seem to remember Manchester was the same when they did a refurb 

The worst airport for scenes like you describe for us had to be Funchal .

One minute a plane land normal the next sideways or aborted.

Coming home the airport was rammed due to planes diverted , Not a empty seat to be found anywhere standing room only that included food outlets ,with huge queues for the food.

We were there 3 hours sat on the floor until our plane landed.We were glad of the cabin crews drink service that day.

44 minutes ago, Peterson78 said:

‘Course, if everyone (or even the majority) book “fast track” then nothing is gained !

When there were big problems in Manchester they stopped booking fast track, making it unavailable.  I suspect Birmingham will do that if it looks like continuing.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

They limit how many can book it

Because it is an important revenue stream to them they have to ensure two things, that those paying get to go through quickly, but more importantly that those not paying have a terrible experience so they pay next time and that those paying can *see* that others who didn't pay are having a terrible experience.

If the normal queues were sufficiently staffed then nobody would pay.

Similar to the rest of what goes on in the airport - put too little seating in to persuade people to pay for lounge access, make the bus trip from the long stay car park unpleasant and people will book the more expensive meet and greet, hide away any water fountains so people will buy bottled water, etc. etc.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 9265359 said:

Because it is an important revenue stream to them they have to ensure two things, that those paying get to go through quickly, but more importantly that those not paying have a terrible experience so they pay next time and that those paying can *see* that others who didn't pay are having a terrible experience.

If the normal queues were sufficiently staffed then nobody would pay.

Similar to the rest of what goes on in the airport - put too little seating in to persuade people to pay for lounge access, make the bus trip from the long stay car park unpleasant and people will book the more expensive meet and greet, hide away any water fountains so people will buy bottled water, etc. etc.

Are you as cynical as you sound, or just a big softy really?😉

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Are you as cynical as you sound

Absolutely - I have been in far too many meetings when similar plans have been discussed, that if you want someone to do something different then make the standard experience as horrible as possible.

5 hours ago, 9265359 said:

Absolutely - I have been in far too many meetings when similar plans have been discussed, that if you want someone to do something different then make the standard experience as horrible as possible.

Well I've used Birmingham airport many times and normally fast track is a waste of money for us to the extent we stopped buying it as there were never any queues to bypass when we did

So they've failed very badly to deliberately make things awful until now

It was only after a warning about this refurbishment I bought it to be on the safe side

So I have to question your cynicism tbh

I have flown from Birmingham Airport multiple times over the last 20 years and can count in the fingers of one hand the number of times I have had any problems. 

My son flew from Birmingham to Dublin 2 weeks ago on business, he said he was through security in around 10 minutes, however his flight was delayed from 3pm to 10:30 pm, he was not impressed with Ryanair.