Queen Victoria, first time Cunard cruiser with so many questions please?

seafarer68

Hi,

We are have cruise many times with some of the other lines within the Carnival group.  As so many we are disappointed with the decline in standards on those cruise lines, so we are looking for a new  cruise line  travel with.

With a Cunard cruise firmly on my bucket list, we are thinking of booking our first Cunard Cruise on the Queen Victoria 

I am however confused generally about the dress code... will my husband be OK with a smart pants and dress shirt? Should I pack a sports jacket for him?

How important in a jacket for him? After years if wearing a suit and tie every work day of his working life, getting him into a jacket  is quite a fuss. He will wear one if required, he just prefer not too... any advice will be greatly appreciated ?

Many thanks

seafarer68, my favourite ship and welcome to Cunard. My husband wears a jacket every night, apart from Gala evenings when it's black tie but that is his preference.

You might get conflicting advice [opinions] but the truth is, on non Gala nights, a dress shirt with smart trousers fits the advised bill.

A jacket occasionally would make a nice change and many chaps do wear them but if the fuss outweighs the wearing, then don't bother.

edit

Yes, the Carnival share option gives obc on Cunard and I think it's inform between ninety days and three weeks prior to boarding.

Edited by Victoria2
spelling
  • Like 1

Just to help clarify the dress code, each evening is designated as either "smart attire" or "gala evening". On the smart attire evenings, a jacket is optional for gentlemen. Smart trousers with a dress shirt is fine on those evenings. On the gala evenings, the dress code is dinner jacket, tuxedo or dark suit with tie for gentlemen. The dress code applies to the main dining rooms but not to the buffet. To give you an idea of the scheduling, there usually will be two gala evenings on a voyage of 7 nights and three gala evenings on a voyage of 14 nights.

The deadline for applying for the Carnival shareholder benefit used to be three weeks before the sailing date. But I just took a look at the latest Carnival shareholder benefit page to confirm that and it now lists the deadline as four weeks prior to the sailing date. Here is the link to that page for full details.

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/static-files/50351a91-4dc0-4f6b-bfec-684647e6129f

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

seafarer68, my favourite ship and welcome to Cunard. My husband wears a jacket every night, apart from Gala evenings when it's black tie but that is his preference.

You might get conflicting advice [opinions] but the truth is, on non Gala nights, a dress shirt with smart trousers fits the advised bill.

A jacket occasionally would make a nice change and many chaps do wear them but if the fuss outweighs the wearing, then don't bother.

edit

Yes, the Carnival share option gives obc on Cunard and I think it's inform between ninety days and three weeks prior to boarding.

So I can get away with just a dinner jacket, smart pants and dickie bow on gala  nights for him?

3 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Just to help clarify the dress code, each evening is designated as either "smart attire" or "gala evening". On the smart attire evenings, a jacket is optional for gentlemen. Smart trousers with a dress shirt is fine on those evenings. On the gala evenings, the dress code is dinner jacket, tuxedo or dark suit with tie for gentlemen. The dress code applies to the main dining rooms but not to the buffet. To give you an idea of the scheduling, there usually will be two gala evenings on a voyage of 7 nights and three gala evenings on a voyage of 14 nights.

The deadline for applying for the Carnival shareholder benefit used to be three weeks before the sailing date. But I just took a look at the latest Carnival shareholder benefit page to confirm that and it now lists the deadline as four weeks prior to the sailing date. Here is the link to that page for full details.

Many thanks

My husband surprised me with a bucket list cruise on Monday (leaving Friday) as a birthday present...only to have the cruise cancelled due to the Israel/Gaza conflict. He is desperately searching for an alternative cruise now  and think he might have found one,another bucket list cruise.... 12 November 2023 Northern lights  Queen Victoria...

Has anyone done this cruise?

Does Cunard also give you a month's grace to celebrate your birthday on board?

11 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

But I just took a look at the latest Carnival shareholder benefit page to confirm that and it now lists the deadline as four weeks prior to the sailing date.

Not sure where you are seeing that as it says:

"Applications to receive these benefits should be made at least three weeks prior to cruise departure date."

One thing that I noticed in there which I don't recall seeing before is that shareholder OBC cannot be used for paying gratuities!

18 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

The benefit is applicable on sailings through July 31, 2024 aboard the brands listed below. Certain restrictions apply. Applications to receive these benefits should be made at least
three weeks prior to cruise departure date

3 minutes ago, david63 said:

"Applications to receive these benefits should be made at least three weeks prior to cruise departure date."

One thing that I noticed in there which I don't recall seeing before is that shareholder OBC cannot be used for paying gratuities!

It's on the pdf @bluemarbleattached 

19 minutes ago, seafarer68 said:

So I can get away with just a dinner jacket, smart pants and dickie bow on gala  nights for him?

I don't know about 'get away with' but I assume the dark trousers/pants are part of a dinner suit if he is wearing a dinner jacket. If the dark trousers aren't, I guess they would meet the dark suit requirement.

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I don't know about 'get away with' but I assume the dark trousers/pants are part of a dinner suit if he is wearing a dinner jacket. If the dark trousers aren't, I guess they would meet the dark suit requirement.

Thank you

Just now, seafarer68 said:

I noticed  on one of the other forums re Queen Victoria  that and I quote...." you can take on as many bottles of wine as you wish"....is this true? 

Apparently so.

We don't bother as we buy onboard and we do have the benefit of the QG two bottle [ongoing throughout the cruise] allowance but many folk cart bottles and bottles onboard with them.

1 minute ago, seafarer68 said:

Next question please...

How good is Cunard with Dietary requirements?

I have recently been diagnosed with both gluten and dairy intolerances 

As I'm a seefood and eat it person apart from a slight sea food intolerance if I eat too much shellfish, I have no experience of dietary needs  but I have friends who do and Cunard seem to be very good in this respect. You MUST inform the M'd as soon as you get onboard if you haven't already made a note of it in your booking.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

As I'm a seefood and eat it person apart from a slight sea food intolerance if I eat too much shellfish, I have no experience of dietary needs  but I have friends who do and Cunard seem to be very good in this respect. You MUST inform the M'd as soon as you get onboard if you haven't already made a note of it in your booking.

Great thank you

34 minutes ago, david63 said:

They seem to have provided two different deadlines in the latest "Carnival Corporation & PLC Shareholder Benefit document. In the first paragraph they do indeed state the following (emphasis mine).

"The benefit is applicable on sailings through July 31, 2024 aboard the brands listed below. Certain restrictions apply. Applications to receive these benefits should be made at least three weeks prior to cruise departure date."

But then later in the third paragraph they state the following.

"Please provide by email, fax or by mail your complete legal name, reservation/booking number, ship and sailing date, along with proof of ownership of Carnival Corporation or Carnival plc shares (for example, photocopy of shareholder proxy card, a dividend tax voucher or a current brokerage or nominee statement with your current mailing address and your brokerage account number blacked out) no later than 4 weeks prior to your sail date to your travel agent or to the cruise line you have selected below."

Previous versions of the document stated the deadline as three weeks in both places.

That's an interesting point about the form stating the shareholder benefit cannot be used for gratuities charged to your onboard account. Previous versions of the document have said the same thing. Perhaps it has something to do with Cunard now calling the charge they apply to your onboard account the "hotel and dining service charge" rather than "gratuities". In practice, the shareholder benefit OBC can be used to pay for the hotel and dining service charge.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, seafarer68 said:

Next question please...

How good is Cunard with Dietary requirements?

I have recently been diagnosed with both gluten and dairy intolerances 

My wife has several food allergies. Cunard does a very good job handling that situation. You should notify Cunard of your requirements prior to your voyage by calling Cunard customer service. They will probably advise you to send an email about your dietary requirements to "cunardonboardservices@cunard.com".

In any event, you will also want to confirm your requirements with your wait staff once on board. They will do their very best to accommodate your requirements the first day in your dining room. For subsequent days, they will supply you with the next day's menus for you to make your selections ahead of time.

If you make a reservation at one of the specialty restaurants, you will want to check with the staff at that restaurant the day before your reserved time in order to make your selections from that restaurant's menu.

3 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

My wife has several food allergies. Cunard does a very good job handling that situation. You should notify Cunard of your requirements prior to your voyage by calling Cunard customer service. They will probably advise you to send an email about your dietary requirements to "cunardonboardservices@cunard.com".

In any event, you will also want to confirm your requirements with your wait staff once on board. They will do their very best to accommodate your requirements the first day in your dining room. For subsequent days, they will supply you with the next day's menus for you to make your selections ahead of time.

If you make a reservation at one of the specialty restaurants, you will want to check with the staff at that restaurant the day before your reserved time in order to make your selections from that restaurant's menu.

Many thanks