1 person in room can't go last minute, other still travelling - what to do?

Jetstreamer

Looking for some advice please.

Departing next week on the Gem and one of our group has ended up in hospital and almost certainly won't be able to travel for medical reasons.

They are in a room with one other person who is still travelling. How should we play this with NCL?

Obvious thing to do is call and tell them one person is not travelling. We might even have to do this for the insurance claim.

But will NCL then charge the remaining person a single supplement or would they update the booking with no extra charge (then the insurance can take care of the cancelled passenger). I know NCL won't give any refund at this late stage but we don't want to end up paying them more money!

If anyone has any experience of what to do here it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

35 minutes ago, Jetstreamer said:

Departing next week on the Gem and one of our group has ended up in hospital and almost certainly won't be able to travel for medical reasons.

They are in a room with one other person who is still travelling. How should we play this with NCL?

Obvious thing to do is call and tell them one person is not travelling. We might even have to do this for the insurance claim.

But will NCL then charge the remaining person a single supplement or would they update the booking with no extra charge (then the insurance can take care of the cancelled passenger). I know NCL won't give any refund at this late stage but we don't want to end up paying them more money!

If anyone has any experience of what to do here it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

NCL has been paid in full for the cabin. NCL cannot charge extra.

It does not matter whether there are 2 persons, one person or none. nothing should change.

The other person will have a "private" cabin.

The ill person should be refunded by their travel insurance (thank goodness they purchased it).

By all means, NCL should be notified of the non-attending passenger.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jetstreamer said:

Thanks!

no experience, so I'm just guessing.  Since they are not offering any refund, I can't image why they would charge more for the one remaining guest.  They are still getting full value for the cabin.  the only question I have is "is this a CAS booking"?  If it it, and the invited CAS guest isn't the one going, then they will charge the remaining guest

As to charging a single-supplement, that's not how the single supplement works.  A solo traveler is just paying for double occupancy at most, so the basic fare is covered, you already paid for the cabin.

I would contact the insurance carrier and ask if they need to cancel or just be a no-show.  In either case, they should get a refund for any pre-paid items, like excursions or taxes. Since I believe your gratuities are included in the UK, I'm not sure what happens with those.

Thanks for the responses. This is just a regular booking, not CAS.

I'm sure I saw something once where NCL did charge extra when double occupancy became single occupancy on the basis that when a passenger cancels, the booking is treated like they never existed. Would be wholly unreasonable to me and hopefully not the case.

Insurance do indeed require to formally cancel and they will pay any unrecoverable costs.

• Like 1

My advice would be to let the non-sailing party be a " no-show". Too many things can go wrong if NCL starts monkeying around with the booking. You can make a claim directly with NCL post-cruise for a refund of prepaid DSC and port charges. The nonrefundable cruise fare is an insurance claim.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

My advice would be to let the non-sailing party be a " no-show". Too many things can go wrong if NCL starts monkeying around with the booking. 

On a previous thread on this subject, people reported increases/adjustments to the fare if someone cancels. The advice was to simply "no-show"...but having never experienced this (although, it's possible it may be an issue for us in a few weeks) I'll be following to see what the consensus is.

A couple of weeks ago I found out I had to miss a cruise the night before, my wife called our TA and she got my gratuities, free at sea plus, and port charges (I think) refunded. My wife still sailed. 

Edited by fastpitchdad
  • Like 3

The no-show passenger will be refunded port taxes and fees, any pre-paid DSC, any pre-paid excursions, grats on Free at Sea offers. The only thing at risk is the cruise fare itself. 

To file an insurance claim, you need a receipt form NCL showing the cancellation reimbursements and the money lost by no-showing. 

To file an insurance claim, you need your doctor to complete the insurance company's form. It is not just a doctor's note saying that Sally can't sail. 

The insurance company will adjudicate the claim and decide if they are going to reimburse you. 

If it is NCL insurance and the insurances company (Aon) denies the claim, NCL will give you a 75% FCC on the cruise fare. 

The doctors have said she definitely can't travel now so I'll get in touch with the TA today and report back.

Someone else from our party will also not travel as a result. They are in a different room unfortunately so there will now be two 2 bedroom suites with only one person in each!

Unfortunately as we are inside 7 days it will be too late to switch others who are in standard balconies into those rooms.

Once you're on board, go to Guest Services with your whole party & get duplicate keys made for everyone that you want to switch.  The crew doesn't care who sleeps in what cabin, you can move everyone around as you wish.  

• Like 1

Well as per the TA, NCL want £1200 more to cancel one person and have single occupancy in the room (to take it up to the full double occupancy fare apparently).

I asked them to check again and not to do anything if they insist on this nonsense.

3 minutes ago, Jetstreamer said:

Well as per the TA, NCL want £1200 more to cancel one person and have single occupancy in the room (to take it up to the full double occupancy fare apparently).

I asked them to check again and not to do anything if they insist on this nonsense.

That's insane.

Might be better off just not showing up...but I'll defer to more knowledgeable folks.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

That's insane.

Might be better off just not showing up...but I'll defer to more knowledgeable folks.

That is essentially what the TA said. Can still get taxes back if no show but worried insurance company will have some sort of issue with this.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 4:49 PM, Jetstreamer said:

Wait a moment...

was that 1200 more after them keeping the fare for the cancelled passenger?

That's not insane - that's literally robbery.

How much is the fare per passenger?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

Wait a moment...

was that 1200 more after them keeping the fare for the cancelled passenger?

That's not insane - that's literally robbery.

How much is the fare per passenger?

Yes, I clarified that very point. Argument along the lines that one passenger cancels so they lose their fare (except taxes). Remaining passenger now has to pay the current single passenger fare with £1200 being the difference between that fare and what remaining passenger has already paid. Remaining passenger cannot use balance of cancelled passenger - that money is lost.

It is robbery, particularly as now she will just no show and probably cause a bit more admin for NCL.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jetstreamer said:

Yes, I clarified that very point. Argument along the lines that one passenger cancels so they lose their fare (except taxes). Remaining passenger now has to pay the current single passenger fare with £1200 being the difference between that fare and what remaining passenger has already paid. Remaining passenger cannot use balance of cancelled passenger - that money is lost.

It is robbery, particularly as now she will just no show and probably cause a bit more admin for NCL.

I'm wondering if this is something particular to the U.K. rules vs. in the U.S.

I find it repugnant and morally corrupt.

Unless there is something in the T&C that specifies this procedure I would call NCL out on this. And, if it's not, and they refuse to reneg,I would sue them.

33 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Unless there is something in the T&C that specifies this procedure I would call NCL out on this. And, if it's not, and they refuse to reneg,I would sue them.

I agree although we won't be suing anyone!

She will no show, still get taxes back and other passenger won't have to pay anything.

If insurance have an issue I have in writing that every effort was made to cancel in the right way. I'm sure the insurance wouldn't want to pay out an additional £1200 by agreeing to NCLs nonsense.

16 minutes ago, Jetstreamer said:

I agree although we won't be suing anyone!

She will no show, still get taxes back and other passenger won't have to pay anything.

If insurance have an issue I have in writing that every effort was made to cancel in the right way. I'm sure the insurance wouldn't want to pay out an additional £1200 by agreeing to NCLs nonsense.

I'm pleased to hear that NCL is doing the "right thing".

I am guessing that the previous  single upcharge was bad information from the agent spoken to.

Regardless of anything outrageous done by NCL, I don't think there would be an insurance recovery.

First of all, the charge is against another party (yes, it's connected). More importantly, insurance is purchased according to the cost of the travel. Assuming your friend did not absurdly over insure, she cannot collect more than the original cruise fare plus any other (insured) costs like air fare.

8 hours ago, Jetstreamer said:

I think somebody was confused. They aren't losing any fare if they aren't refunding the fare for the 2nd passenger. But sounds like a no-show would be your best option.

9 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

How many people have you actually sued? I am not sure you understand what that means.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

How many people have you actually sued? I am not sure you understand what that means.

Yeah, saying I'm gonna sue is a whole lot easier than actually doing it.  It's gonna cost you so much more than what you'd even win.  And that's if NCL didn't decide to stall you out on principle 

• Like 1

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but here's how the single supplement with travel insurance works. 

Passenger 1 that can't go because of the medical reason has to cancel in order for them to file insurance claim.  They should review their insurance policy to determine what they need as to documentation of their insurance claim.

Passenger 2 that still wants to go now has to pay the single supplement.  If they also have travel insurance usually they cover the single supplement so they'll have to review their policy to determine what documentation they will need in order to file a claim for the single supplement.

Yes I know that NCL has already been paid in full and that the single supplement is additional monies to NCL but if you have travel insurance that's the only way as far as I know for them to get refunded the various costs. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I was thinking more in terms of small claims court.

Yes, in regular court the attorney's fees would not be worth doing it (unless, perhaps, you can represent yourself).

• Haha 1