Corkage fee current reality

I haven't been charged a corkage fee, even when they opened a 1980 Robert Mondavi Cabernet that the cork crumbled.  IT was a lot of work, but no fee.

And OH MY, it was worth the trouble. 😄

• Haha 1

On 10/29/2023 at 2:28 PM, cruisegirl1 said:

The above is reality and standard practice. OP - if you are changed, it would  be rare and noteworthily to post to let others know. 

M

We have never been charged a corkage fee and in fact, it was only mentioned once to us and that was when they first announced this policy.   We took a bottle to the MDR and our waiter asked if we knew about the fee.  I said yes, he never charged it.  Never been mentioned since.

Sherri🙂

I read so much about how every cruise line is looking for ways to save money and the gripes that come from this forum about changes in cruise line offerings.

Yet, there are so many threads like this where passengers look for ways to cut corners and not pay for whatever. 

It's a vacation. Why carry water, or wine, or champagne instead of just enjoying what is on offer on the ship? Passengers gripe at cruise lines saving money, but not when it comes to they themselves using tricks to save money.

The prices aren't too out of line from wine costs at a dinner from a Truluck's or STK or Alexander's. Granted, RCL shipboard restaurants aren't in the same category. 

Point is, you've spent to enjoy a vacation. Live a little. Splurge a little.

All this mental maneuvering to save a few bucks (while having to deduce advance purchase, packing and carrying, how and when and where to open a bottle) must be exhausting. 

Sheesh, I need a vacation just reading all the gymnastics required on "how to save three cents" threads.

Good thing I have a handful booked. 😅

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, buncosquad said:

I read so much about how every cruise line is looking for ways to save money and the gripes that come from this forum about changes in cruise line offerings.

Yet, there are so many threads like this where passengers look for ways to cut corners and not pay for whatever. 

It's a vacation. Why carry water, or wine, or champagne instead of just enjoying what is on offer on the ship? Passengers gripe at cruise lines saving money, but not when it comes to they themselves using tricks to save money.

The prices aren't too out of line from wine costs at a dinner from a Truluck's or STK or Alexander's. Granted, RCL shipboard restaurants aren't in the same category. 

All this mental maneuvering to save a few bucks (while having to deduce advance purchase, packing and carrying, how and when and where to open a bottle) must be exhausting. 

Sheesh, I need a vacation just reading all the gymnastics required on "how to save three cents" threads.

Good points all, but I hearken back to Economics 101.  Charge what the traffic will bear.  A business is in business to make a profit.  As a consumer in a free market economy I get to decide where, when, and on what to spend my dollars.

It's the job of the business to separate me from my money.  It's my job to keep as much of my money in my pocket as I can.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Good points all, but I hearken back to Economics 101.  Charge what the traffic will bear.  A business is in business to make a profit.  As a consumer in a free market economy I get to decide where, when, and on what to spend my dollars.

It's the job of the business to separate me from my money.  It's my job to keep as much of my money in my pocket as I can.

All valid.

Mine is but one of many opinions on said subject, and open at no cost for consideration of all readers.

I'm actually helping save people money!

On 11/5/2023 at 3:10 PM, buncosquad said:

No tricks here. They say you can bring a bottle onboard. I do that and bring it to the dining room. If they want to charge the corkage fee that's fine with me, it's spelled out. If they don't (and they never have) that's fine with me too. 

• Like 3

On 10/31/2023 at 5:07 AM, LilBlackDress said:

... thought since RC delivered it to our room to congratulate us for getting married on the ship, I would share it with the family... The waiter said, well, in that case, there is no charge since it is from RC...

Bottles of Wine or Champagne provide to you from the cruise line are NOT subject to a corkage fee.

But like others have said I have never heard of one being charged.

buncosquad and SargassoPirate...just wanted to say "thank you" to you both for eloquently debating...quite refreshing to read.

* Love and agree to both your responses...just wanted to add that perhaps one's age can be a factor.

When I was young, I was in the SargassoPirate camp...now that I'm old, I'm in the buncosquad camp.  After all, you can't take it with you.

* OP, we have never been charged a corkage fee. 

As stated earlier, I'm a staunch Capitalist.  I believe in businesses charging whatever they feel they need for a product/service.  I also believe I am under no obligation to pay for that product/service if I feel it is overpriced, a bad value, and/or a substandard product/service.  However, I'm a rule follower and a retired LEO.  IT IS MY OPINION that those who find ways to bring alcohol (other than the authorized one bottle of wine/champagne) or other prohibited items on a ship are tantamount to a criminal act and in a small way contribute to the high cost of cruising.  Look for ways to reduce your costs!  I'd expect that and we do it.  We purchase early and keep an eye on things during the waiting period until cruise day, if the price drops, we take advantage of that.   JMHO/YMMV

• Like 1