Corkage fee current reality

Decided against the drink package for my upcoming Symphony sailing.  I will be the only one in my party that drinks wine so I would like to avoid any corkage fees.  $15 isn’t an ungodly sum but it’s not like I would be bringing anything special onboard.  Are they more likely to  impose the fee in the MDR vs specially restaurants?  If other alcoholic beverages are ordered do they overlook the charge?  Just interested in the current landscape.  Thanks for any insight.

6 hours ago, LordBeavis said:

Decided against the drink package for my upcoming Symphony sailing.  I will be the only one in my party that drinks wine so I would like to avoid any corkage fees.  $15 isn’t an ungodly sum but it’s not like I would be bringing anything special onboard.  Are they more likely to  impose the fee in the MDR vs specially restaurants?  If other alcoholic beverages are ordered do they overlook the charge?  Just interested in the current landscape.  Thanks for any insight.

Have the others in your party bring a bottle of wine on for you 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Biker19 said:

I don’t recall anyone reporting that charge for years. 

5 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I am not aware of anyone being charged corkage. I have seen bar staff offering an ice bucket and glasses with a smile.

19 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Have never been charged a corkage fee in 25 years 

The above is reality and standard practice. OP - if you are changed, it would  be rare and noteworthily to post to let others know. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Once, and only once , I overheard a waiter telling the couple on the table next door that they will be charged corkage (IIRC it was on Radiance Alaska 2018); so once the waiter had left I advised them to go to their cabin, open the bottle and come back with 2 full glasses. Which they did! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, little britain said:

Once, and only once , I overheard a waiter telling the couple on the table next door that they will be charged corkage (IIRC it was on Radiance Alaska 2018); so once the waiter had left I advised them to go to their cabin, open the bottle and come back with 2 full glasses. Which they did! 

WOW - Bad luck for them. They get the one of the thousands of RCCL waiters for the past 25 years who wants to charge a corkage fee! Never heard of this happening.   I wonder he was telling them there was a fee, but he will "waive it' with hopes of getting a better tip. 

Regardless, glad you were able to help them out.  

M

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

WOW - Bad luck for them. They get the one of the thousands of RCCL waiters for the past 25 years who wants to charge a corkage fee! Never heard of this happening.   I wonder he was telling them there was a fee, but he will "waive it' with hopes of getting a better tip. 

Regardless, glad you were able to help them out.  

M

Nope, he was very insistent about the fee!!

Thankfully I was on the next table to save the day lol  

I've never been charged, including last week on the Oasis. The waiter uncorked my bottle and said they would hold my bottle for me. Everyday after that it was either on the table when I arrived or they brought it right out. And they always poured the glass for me. Great service.

1 hour ago, Crazy4Cruisin225 said:

It was quite a few years ago, maybe 2019, but we opened a bottle of wine in our cabin and brought the full glasses and the opened bottle with us to dinner…and the waiter charged us the corkage fee. Now we just leave the bottle in the room. Lesson learned. 

The corkage fee doesn't have anything to do with opening a bottle of wine with a corkscrew, twist top, or a box <LOL.  The policy is about where you consume the wine.  If you consume it in a public space, it's subject to a corkage fee.  

For general consumption:  I don't care if you have ever paid a corkage fee or not, it is subject to the fee, that's all I am saying.  So be forewarned, that is all.  

6 hours ago, Ret MP said:

The corkage fee doesn't have anything to do with opening a bottle of wine with a corkscrew, twist top, or a box <LOL.  The policy is about where you consume the wine.  If you consume it in a public space, it's subject to a corkage fee.  

For general consumption:  I don't care if you have ever paid a corkage fee or not, it is subject to the fee, that's all I am saying.  So be forewarned, that is all.  

I found out what the corkage charge was back in 2009. We brought 2 bottles of wine to dinner with us (I am not sure if you were allowed to bring your own wine on the ship back then) 
The waiter said he would be happy to open it for us and pour it and then explained the ins and outs of the corkage fee. I said that was fine, I just thought since RC delivered it to our room to congratulate us for getting married on the ship, I would share it with the family... The waiter said, well, in that case, there is no charge since it is from RC. We said we were happy to pay and he explained again the corkage fee 😄 

• Like 3