Two Drink Related Questions New Cruiser

Generator515

Apologies if these are basic questions but taking an Alaska cruise in June and will be first ever Princess cruise and first cruise in 11 years. 

1) Have read about ability to have case of water delivered to room if ordered in advance. Where can I order this? Have looked on app and Princess.con and can’t find the option. Do you need to be paid in full perhaps?

2) If we brought two wine bottles on board and brought to MDR I understand a $20 corkage but if we don’t finish the bottle that night would they also store for us to finish next night? If so, does it need to be same MDR each night (will be on Ruby with three MDR)

currently I am booked with Plus but debating if we’d actually get value cruising with two kids and on an Alaskan cruise where a lot of time will be in port for three days. 

Each adult is permitted to carry on 1 x 750ml of wine without fee for use in your cabin. Additional bottles can be carried on and are subject to the corkage fee when boarding. These bottles will be marked and can be used anywhere on the ship. If a non marked bottle is brought to the DR it will be subject to a $20/bottle corkage fee. Yes it can be stored. It does not have to be the same DR, can be any DR or a specialty restaurant.

The breakeven for the plus fare is between 2 and 3 alcoholic beverages pp/day. Plus fare applies to passengers 1 & 2 in the cabin. Additional passengers are optional. If the youth get the plus fare they would receive the non alcoholic package. It probably isn't worth it for them, but I haven't actually done the math.

The plus fare includes wines by the glass. These are fairly good wines, but not the best. If you order a glass which is in excess of the $15 menu price you will be charged the difference + 18%. Example an $18 glass of wine would cost $3 + 54cents, $3.54 if you have the plus fare. Plus fare includes bottles water. Pick up bottles at any bar.

Not certain, but believe water is ordered through Princess.com site. Log into your cruise. 

15 minutes ago, skynight said:

Each adult is permitted to carry on 1 x 750ml of wine without fee for use in your cabin. Additional bottles can be carried on and are subject to the corkage fee when boarding. These bottles will be marked and can be used anywhere on the ship. If a non marked bottle is brought to the DR it will be subject to a $20/bottle corkage fee. Yes it can be stored. It does not have to be the same DR, can be any DR or a specialty restaurant.

The breakeven for the plus fare is between 2 and 3 alcoholic beverages pp/day. Plus fare applies to passengers 1 & 2 in the cabin. Additional passengers are optional. If the youth get the plus fare they would receive the non alcoholic package. It probably isn't worth it for them, but I haven't actually done the math.

The plus fare includes wines by the glass. These are fairly good wines, but not the best. If you order a glass which is in excess of the $15 menu price you will be charged the difference + 18%. Example an $18 glass of wine would cost $3 + 54cents, $3.54 if you have the plus fare. Plus fare includes bottles water. Pick up bottles at any bar.

Not certain, but believe water is ordered through Princess.com site. Log into your cruise. 

I would only caution that if the bottle is stored, and you try to access it from another dining venue such as a specialty restaurant, make very sure you tell the waiter who is going to try and retrieve it exactly where it is stored. In the days before the advent of the packages, we would bring wines on board as well, and if we shifted restaurants, the delay in finding the half-empty bottle could be significant while the crew tried to find it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Generator515 said:

1) Have read about ability to have case of water delivered to room if ordered in advance. Where can I order this? Have looked on app and Princess.con and can’t find the option. Do you need to be paid in full perhaps?

You should be able to find the water package by logging onto your account.

Select the cruise.

Click on "Onboard Services"

Scroll down to "Beverage Packages". Click "View Options".

It should be at the bottom of the list. $7.08 for 12 bottles.

Have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

If you have the plus  package, simply go to any bar and ask for a bottle of water.  Why buy it when you have the plus package? 

We buy a package but also buy 2 cases of water or more if it's a long cruise.  We like having the fridge stocked with cold water 24/7 as we are big water drinkers, it's not expensive and just a convenience for us.  Another to each his own topics.  

1 hour ago, Cruisintimer said:

We buy a package but also buy 2 cases of water or more if it's a long cruise.  We like having the fridge stocked with cold water 24/7 as we are big water drinkers, it's not expensive and just a convenience for us.  Another to each his own topics.  

I know the cost for a case of water is minimal but why buy a case if you have a package. I just ask for three or four bottles of water at any bar and take them back to stock the room fridge. Or when I order alcoholic drinks from room service I add a few more bottles of water to the order.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Generator515 said:

Apologies if these are basic questions but taking an Alaska cruise in June and will be first ever Princess cruise and first cruise in 11 years. 

1) Have read about ability to have case of water delivered to room if ordered in advance. Where can I order this? Have looked on app and Princess.com and can’t find the option. Do you need to be paid in full perhaps?

2) If we brought two wine bottles on board and brought to MDR I understand a $20 corkage but if we don’t finish the bottle that night would they also store for us to finish next night? If so, does it need to be same MDR each night (will be on Ruby with three MDR)

currently I am booked with Plus but debating if we’d actually get value cruising with two kids and on an Alaskan cruise where a lot of time will be in port for three days. 

1.  You the good answer in Post #4.  12 bottles for ~$7.  You can order more than one if inclined.

2. I would advise taking bottle back to cabin with you.  Otherwise, a PITA waiting for it while new waiters run around to fetch it.  Besides, you never know when you might want a glass.  Better yet, open and have a glass before going to dinner.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, leck57 said:

I know the cost for a case of water is minimal but why buy a case if you have a package. I just ask for three or four bottles of water at any bar and take them back to stock the room fridge. Or when I order alcoholic drinks from room service I add a few more bottles of water to the order.

Personal preference, it is in the room when we get there....done deal.  Glad you do what works for you.

Edited by Cruisintimer
  • Like 2