Extending Post Hotel Stay

wrk2cruise

We have a post cruise hotel night in Tahiti after our cruise in Jan/Feb.   Yesterday I found that Delta/Air France have cancelled our flight to LAX and I have had to rebook a day later.   Has anyone had experience extending the hotel stay?   I've made final payment already and have been told our hotel is the Intercontinental.  I can book a room independently but wouldn't know what category to book to be able to extend our stay in the same room.  

I called Windstar yesterday but they said there can't be any deviations but since I use a TA they really wouldn't discuss.   I reached out to my TA to see what he can do via Windstar.   I'm just wondering if others have had experience and roughly what the per day cost is for that hotel via Windstar.

17 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

We have a post cruise hotel night in Tahiti after our cruise in Jan/Feb.   Yesterday I found that Delta/Air France have cancelled our flight to LAX and I have had to rebook a day later.   Has anyone had experience extending the hotel stay?   I've made final payment already and have been told our hotel is the Intercontinental.  I can book a room independently but wouldn't know what category to book to be able to extend our stay in the same room.  

I called Windstar yesterday but they said there can't be any deviations but since I use a TA they really wouldn't discuss.   I reached out to my TA to see what he can do via Windstar.   I'm just wondering if others have had experience and roughly what the per day cost is for that hotel via Windstar.

I would call the hotel directly [not the Intercontinental main number – if you use Skype it would cost pennies].  Someone there should know what category you will be in, and may be able to offer you a special deal under the emergency circumstances.  In any case their retail rate should be much lower than what a cruise line would charge you.

2 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I would call the hotel directly [not the Intercontinental main number – if you use Skype it would cost pennies].  Someone there should know what category you will be in, and may be able to offer you a special deal under the emergency circumstances.  In any case their retail rate should be much lower than what a cruise line would charge you.

Thanks.  I thought I would try that once I hear back from the TA.   Not happy with Delta.  I asked for some compensation as these flights have been booked for 7 months and told them I would be incurring a significant hotel charge for the delay.   Of course they said tough.

We had a similar experience in Reykjavik only we came in 3 days earlier and stayed the last night on WS with a perk that we chose.   We talked to the hotel upon making our private reservation for the first 2 nights and we asked not to be moved. We picked our price which was probably a cheaper room than WS offered but we were more interested in not being moved that last night. Given prices in Iceland this was a lovely hotel, great location and not that expensive. The hotels, we have found, when paying yourself are much less than paying with WS. We stayed in a WS hotel in Rome and we paid a lot less by doing it privately. We wanted to take the WS van into Rome to use our OBC.  The Intercontinental as we remember from 2014 when we did the first cruise back to Tahiti was very nice, I do not remember it being that expensive. I would imagine the hotel will be fine to work with. Good Luck, WS does a fabulous job in Tahiti. Happy Sailing

23 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

22 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Not happy with Delta.  I asked for some compensation as these flights have been booked for 7 months and told them I would be incurring a significant hotel charge for the delay.   Of course they said tough.

ALL airlines have routing/schedule changes and cancellations, and the farther in advance you book, the more likely you will experience this.  They do not issue compensation, especially for a schedule change months away.

4 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

ALL airlines have routing/schedule changes and cancellations, and the farther in advance you book, the more likely you will experience this.  They do not issue compensation, especially for a schedule change months away.

Thank you for supporting the airline that has been holding several thousand dollars for many months.   I paid a significant up-charge for refundable tickets for ME to have the ability to cancel, but I guess they get to do it at no cost to them.    Yes I understand it's in the contract.

I guess I'm the bad guy here.  I asked for a good will gesture.  Did I expect them to do anything NO.  That's just the state of things these days.  You commit to something in good faith with your $$ then things change and the customer is left holding the bag.

Done.

5 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I guess I'm the bad guy here.  I asked for a good will gesture.  Did I expect them to do anything NO.  That's just the state of things these days.  You commit to something in good faith with your $$ then things change and the customer is left holding the bag.

Done.

Air France operates on EU rules, for KLM when I had to cancel for late covid issues, they held my money for 2 years, I used it when I rebooked the trip it was fine. EU has rules  Air France/Delta cancelled. I would call them back and ask them to give you the same air price and pay for the hotel because they changed the schedule, you booked in good will and Tahiti is part of France I think you have some leverage here. In Europe they would have to pay your hotel. I know that for a fact, happen and I lived there once. Get your TA to confirm the price of the hotel ( not the WS perk) but what you will  pay, call Air France. You are not the bad guy, this forum is supposed to be helpful. Blame is not helpful. I will get back to you I have a name of a company in Europe that can help you perhaps. I have to find it. We used it and did receive some money from a flight that was quite late. Don't give up. You are in for a great trip.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the support.  I'm over it now.  I'm rebooked on the Delta flight the next day (36 hrs later) at the same price.   I might have considered going this route however I booked through my credit card portal using CC points so can't deal with the airlines directly.   As it was it took hours to just get rebooked.   The flight was priced in XFP so I'm sure the EU rules would apply.

Luckly I checked my Delta account before I hung up the phone as the original flights were Premium Economy, when they rebooked they only did Comfort+, the TA had to call Delta back and get the waiver updated to Premium Economy.  The current prices are over $1k more than I paid.

Now I'm just waiting for Windstar.  When my TA called to price the hotel extension he was told they couldn't make changes to the reservation as Windstar was in the process of changing the sailing and he was supposed to get a letter later today.   It's after final payment and last week got an itinerary change so I'm hoping that's all it is.

5 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Thank you for supporting the airline that has been holding several thousand dollars for many months.   I paid a significant up-charge for refundable tickets for ME to have the ability to cancel, but I guess they get to do it at no cost to them.    Yes I understand it's in the contract.

Stating facts has nothing to do with supporting an airline, nor is it "assigning blame."   You have been given incorrect information about EU rules.  They do not apply to a flight from PPT-LAX, and French Polynesia is not a member of the EU:

EU air passenger rights apply:

• If your flight is within the EU and is operated either by an EU or a non-EU airline
  • If your flight arrives in the EU from outside the EU and is operated by an EU airline
  • If your flight departs from the EU to a non-EU country operated by an EU or a non-EU airline

Edited by 6rugrats

1 hour ago, 6rugrats said:

Stating facts has nothing to do with supporting an airline, nor is it "assigning blame."   You have been given incorrect information about EU rules.  They do not apply to a flight from PPT-LAX, and French Polynesia is not a member of the EU:

EU air passenger rights apply:

• If your flight is within the EU and is operated either by an EU or a non-EU airline
  • If your flight arrives in the EU from outside the EU and is operated by an EU airline
  • If your flight departs from the EU to a non-EU country operated by an EU or a non-EU airline

Citizens of Tahiti are French citzens protected by the EU. Tahiti is considered an OTC, EU rules apply. Tahiti is considered part of the EU.
I do believe there would be leverage  with the airlines.  What not sure but this gentleman could have investigated, apparently not needed now. I was giving correct advice and being helpful not dismissive.

1 hour ago, Strenz said:

Citizens of Tahiti are French citzens protected by the EU. Tahiti is considered an OTC, EU rules apply. Tahiti is considered part of the EU.
I do believe there would be leverage  with the airlines.  What not sure but this gentleman could have investigated, apparently not needed now. I was giving correct advice and being helpful not dismissive.

EU261 doesn’t apply to French Polynesia unless traveling on a non-stop flight that started in European airspace.

Just to circle back.   Finally got a price from Windstar.   It was $298 pp to add the day.   I decided to just book independently.   Maybe I'll have to change rooms but that's ok.   I had messaged the hotel a couple of days ago but got no response.