Getaway Twice Day Cabin Service and Advice on Choosing our Winter Getaway

Cruzinforpeace***

Do the cabin stewards still do “turn down” service on the Getaway?  I’ve heard one thing from NCL (yes they do) and another from reviewers online (they don’t).  Anyone have a recent report of what’s happening with “turn down” service?  Is it still twice daily cabin service?  I’m trying to decide between a 9 night 1/27/24 Getaway cruise out of NYC to Bermuda and the Caribbean vs. a 7 day MSC Florida Bahamas cruise a week later out of Brooklyn I already have booked but have until next week to cancel. Never tried MSC but have sailed NCL several times.  MSC is a balcony cabin (twice day service) with thermal spa access included. NCL would be an inside cabin with the basic dining and internet package included. We don’t drink so we don’t need the drink package. The NCL cruise is $1,000 more but I’m being lured by that itinerary.  We live in the Northeast where winters are brutal.  The thought of lounging on the beach in St. Martin, St Thomas and the DR sounds sooooo good.  Bahamas and Florida weather can be iffy in January and February.  We’ve stayed in all categories from inside to suite so we’re not picky.  I would be sailing with my husband and 17 year old son.  Anyone have any thoughts on the cruise choice “dilemma”?  I’m trying to find ways to justify the extra $1,000 for the NCL cruise.

49 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Do the cabin stewards still do “turn down” service on the Getaway?  I’ve heard one thing from NCL (yes they do) and another from reviewers online (they don’t).  Anyone have a recent report of what’s happening with “turn down” service?  Is it still twice daily cabin service?  I’m trying to decide between a 9 night 1/27/24 Getaway cruise out of NYC to Bermuda and the Caribbean vs. a 7 day MSC Florida Bahamas cruise a week later out of Brooklyn I already have booked but have until next week to cancel. Never tried MSC but have sailed NCL several times.  MSC is a balcony cabin (twice day service) with thermal spa access included. NCL would be an inside cabin with the basic dining and internet package included. We don’t drink so we don’t need the drink package. The NCL cruise is $1,000 more but I’m being lured by that itinerary.  We live in the Northeast where winters are brutal.  The thought of lounging on the beach in St. Martin, St Thomas and the DR sounds sooooo good.  Bahamas and Florida weather can be iffy in January and February.  We’ve stayed in all categories from inside to suite so we’re not picky.  I would be sailing with my husband and 17 year old son.  Anyone have any thoughts on the cruise choice “dilemma”?  I’m trying to find ways to justify the extra $1,000 for the NCL cruise.

On the Getaway this past May there was not twice daily service, only once. We told steward we would be out of cabin by 8 each morning and he said he would be doing our cabin first and he did.

MSC having twice daily worked out good because there isn't a pool towel station, the steward takes and replaces the pool towels.

I loved MSC except the assigned dining time. We got super early and were not able to change it even trying as soon as possible. They also assign you shared table but we were able to change that.

• Thanks 1

i got off the Escape this morning,my room was only service once usually in the late afternoon. Freestyle dailies is left in the slot thing above the room number. If you purchased photos, they will be in that slot or in a bag on the door handle.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, LatinaInTexas said:

On the Getaway this past May there was not twice daily service, only once. We told steward we would be out of cabin by 8 each morning and he said he would be doing our cabin first and he did.

MSC having twice daily worked out good because there isn't a pool towel station, the steward takes and replaces the pool towels.

I loved MSC except the assigned dining time. We got super early and were not able to change it even trying as soon as possible. They also assign you shared table but we were able to change that.

We are currently booked in Aurea class so we would have anytime dining.

• Like 1

is twice a daily cabin service a deal breaker?  If so, you have already made up your mind.  MSC is a more European feel.  Not many announcements, many language spoken ( announcements in English are not the first to be announced).  Drinks are much less expensive on MSC than NCL.  Food choices are better on NCL.    U would say give MSC a chance. 

36 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

is twice a daily cabin service a deal breaker?  If so, you have already made up your mind.  MSC is a more European feel.  Not many announcements, many language spoken ( announcements in English are not the first to be announced).  Drinks are much less expensive on MSC than NCL.  Food choices are better on NCL.    U would say give MSC a chance. 

No the twice daily thing isn’t the deal breaker; just curious what was the truth.  BUT the itinerary! Bahamas/Florida vs 5 (true) Caribbean ports.  I worked on an Italian cruise ship (Costa) so I know about the European atmosphere.  I don’t mind it but my husband and son might.  They don’t like to dress up.  I personally think the NCL cruise is the best choice for us as a family.  I’m just on the fence with the cost and value for that cost.  I’m probably just going to flip a coin in the end (lol).

2 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

No the twice daily thing isn’t the deal breaker; just curious what was the truth.  BUT the itinerary! Bahamas/Florida vs 5 (true) Caribbean ports.  I worked on an Italian cruise ship (Costa) so I know about the European atmosphere.  I don’t mind it but my husband and son might.  They don’t like to dress up.  I personally think the NCL cruise is the best choice for us as a family.  I’m just on the fence with the cost and value for that cost.  I’m probably just going to flip a coin in the end (lol).

The truth is yes and no. It depends on your cabin category.

• Like 1

I would like the 2 extra days, but I would also like the thermal spa access and balcony cabin. Can understand why you are conflicted. It really depends on your priorities. I would rather have the balcony cabin so I had private outdoor space, but I enjoy NCL cruises more than MSC cruises. No one can make this decision for you. If money is the primary deciding factor, do MSC, of more time on vacation, then do NCL.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Personally, I would take the longer cruise. 

NCL, like Royal and others, have gone to once-a-day housekeeping. We actually like once-a-day cleaning a lot better. We used to come back from a shore excursion, toss our shopping and bags on the bed, then quickly shower and prepare for dinner... then have to clean up the room so that the steward could "fluff the pillows". Once a day, like land-based hotels is perfectly fine for us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

MSC cruises out of NY are less formal than their European cruises.  Dress code is a suggestion.  We wore shorts every night except on the one elegant night. That night DH wore jeans and I wore capris with a fancy tee shirt.  Our cruise announcements were in English first, than italian, and lastly due to a large amount of Asian passengers, in Chinese.  I haven't cruised NCL post covid, but my personal experience last month on Meraviglia was that it felt like a pre covid cruise. 

Of course there are some cutbacks but nothing like what's written about NCL post covid.  The most obvious cutback was the MDR menu states second or more entrees incur a $5 fee.  We never needed to order second entrees as despite what some say, the portions were more than adequate (and to be honest one of the reasons we like cruising is the food.)  Also, you can order the pasta or risotto dish each evening as a starter in addition to your main, and it will come as a full size.  If your son is like most teens, he will probably appreciate that MSC has food available all day and most of the night.

Do keep in mind when making your decision that WiFi on MSC is much more expensive.  So if that's not part of what you booked, it may be an issue.

Personally I would never book an interior.  But that's because I spend the whole cruise on the balcony, and ports are not an issue for me.

Also keep in mind that the spa on Meraviglia is smallish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LatinaInTexas said:

Which MSC ship?   If Mera, there is a pool towel station starboard just before entering Bamboo.

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

Which MSC ship?   If Mera, there is a pool towel station starboard just before entering Bamboo.

Yes the Meraviglia.  I’m now leaning more towards MSC due to the difference in cabin size.  9 nights in an inside cabin (NCL) could be torture with my husband and son.  At least on the MSC cruise I can escape to the balcony or sit on a sofa.  Plus, I’m really itching to give MSC a try; I’m VERY curious.

• Like 1

Thank you for all your feedback and advice.  We’ve decided on the MSC Meraviglia Cruise.  Reasons include bigger cabin, great price, spa access and better indoor facilities for the cool sea days (indoor pool and indoor sports area).  I’m also curious about their claim about them having “the best pizza at sea”.  We shall see…. I might do a “live” and compare it to our recent Celebrity Cruise this summer.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Thank you for all your feedback and advice.  We’ve decided on the MSC Meraviglia Cruise.  Reasons include bigger cabin, great price, spa access and better indoor facilities for the cool sea days (indoor pool and indoor sports area).  I’m also curious about their claim about them having “the best pizza at sea”.  We shall see…. I might do a “live” and compare it to our recent Celebrity Cruise this summer.  

Cabin size is quite definitely a plus.  To give you an idea of how large the regular balcony cabin is, the sofa easily could seat four normal humans.  I would say the cabin is larger than NCL by far, and also larger than the other mainstream cruise line balcony cabins.  Do be aware that the storage areas are lacking and not very well thought out.  And about the pizza...a month later and I am still craving it.  It's close to the wood oven pizzas we have in NY. They also make their own mozzarella.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gizfish said:

Cabin size is quite definitely a plus.  To give you an idea of how large the regular balcony cabin is, the sofa easily could seat four normal humans.  I would say the cabin is larger than NCL by far, and also larger than the other mainstream cruise line balcony cabins.  Do be aware that the storage areas are lacking and not very well thought out.  And about the pizza...a month later and I am still craving it.  It's close to the wood oven pizzas we have in NY. They also make their own mozzarella.

Now you got me excited!  We lived in NYC and  miss the good pizza.

43 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Now you got me excited!  We lived in NYC and  miss the good pizza.

We just did ten days on Mera disclaimer YC though.  We did spend tons of time around ship though.  Fourth time on Mera since late 2021.  Always good time.

Pizza still very good.  Pepperoni, some kind of Alfredo, plain at buffet.  Room service more options.

We did spa one week ago.  Had a great time.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2023 at 4:23 PM, LatinaInTexas said:

Curious how you changed the shared table.  We would not want to share. 

6 hours ago, BarnCat1 said:

Prior to my cruise I was advised here on CC that once I boarded to go to the MDR and speak to the maitre d to change my time and table. We did that but it was close to muster time so he told us to come back 10 minutes before dinner.

We came back to a long line that wasn't moving. After waiting and finally getting to speak to him we wanted to change our dining time since it was the earliest time, like 5pm. He looked on the computer and says nothing was available nothing he could do, we were stuck. I then asked for a table for 2 and originally he said nothing available for that too.

I told him look I tried to do this earlier, you put me off and told me to return. So I returned like you said, it's not my fault you have nothing available. He sighed and miraculously he found me the last table for two lol.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BarnCat1 said:

The daily schedule for embarkation day will have the time and dining room where the maitre'd will be to address dining issues.  On our cruise I believe he was there till four.  You can check there to see how many are at your table and try to change if needed.  There was a line for us.  But a staff member was checking people's issues while they waited.  I am thinking she had a map of the dinning room and would be able to tell how many a table accommodated.  She couldn't make any changes though.

• Like 1