CruiseNext Confusion

Smitheroo

5 minutes ago, smokeykat said:

I have a different scenario to throw out there 🤪

I have the NCL credit card and I have enough points to use to get $500 OBC. Can I use the OBC to purchase my two cruise next certs for $500 and then would I get credited back $250 to my account that ends up going back on my credit card?

No.  You will be charged $250.  $500 less the $250 OBC gotten from buying the certificates.

Just to note that I would never use the MC points to buy OBC.  If you want to cash out the points, take it as a statement credit.  It’s much more flexible and you get you the 3x points for the charges on the card, giving another 3% off your onboard purchases, including the CNs.

@smokeykat I wouldn't do it that way.  Use the NCL credit card to pay the $250 then get 750 points (3x the NCL spend) for future use on the card.  THEN use the points you would have used for OBC to convert to statement credit in the same amount instead.

The same CN manager that had the proper and clear explanation regarding OBC also suggested this path, in addition to others on this site.

Thank

3 minutes ago, hallux said:

@smokeykat I wouldn't do it that way.  Use the NCL credit card to pay the $250 then get 750 points (3x the NCL spend) for future use on the card.  THEN use the points you would have used for OBC to convert to statement credit in the same amount instead.

The same CN manager that had the proper and clear explanation regarding OBC also suggested this path, in addition to others on this site.

Thanks! That is what I was thinking lol. I have a friend that uses her NCL points from her card to purchase the cruise next certificates and I always thought she was doing it wrong. Now I have confirmation 😉

27 minutes ago, smokeykat said:

I have a different scenario to throw out there 🤪

I have the NCL credit card and I have enough points to use to get $500 OBC. Can I use the OBC to purchase my two cruise next certs for $500 and then would I get credited back $250 to my account that ends up going back on my credit card?

I believe the OBC you get is refundable so yes, you'd get back whatever you don't spend. Doesn't change the math. But the math doesn't change either if you just request a statement credit, no need to mess with obc.

And the $250 wouldn't go back on your CC - they can't refund onboard account to the card you have on file. They give you cash.

Edited by julig22

1 minute ago, IAcruising said:

Has anyone noticed that their CN certs no longer have an expiration date? Just got word this afternoon, and I have confirmed that mine do not.

I was just going to start a new thread...Somebody posted on another site that they'd been told no more expiration dates.  And sure enough, no dates on mine either

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

I was just going to start a new thread...Somebody posted on another site that they'd been told no more expiration dates.  And sure enough, no dates on mine either

Can’t confirm because I used the four I bought in October already.  😂. But if true, that’s great, even if it’s never been a problem using them within four years.  😆

18 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

Has anyone noticed that their CN certs no longer have an expiration date? Just got word this afternoon, and I have confirmed that mine do not.

i have an expired future cruise credit return back to my account. seems strange

On 11/1/2023 at 12:34 PM, cruiser2015 said:

But this one really is a "free" giveaway.

Take the BOGO air, for example. You must purchase TWO tickets. Effectively you get them at 50% off (of some amount). That's a nice discount - but it ain't free. NCL say it's "free air". Not quite.

Now the CN must be purchased as well. But there is not other requirement except booking another cruise. My assumption is that anyone buying a CN wanted to do another cruise. The CN represents a discount on that next cruise - except  half the value was free to you by effectively making an advanced deposit, which can be used for many options over a period of years. I call that "free money". It's not exactly comparable to a 35% off sale because the buyer controls when to use it and will further reduce whatever future sailing it is used for.

No, I am a solo traveler and I only had to buy one air promo fare, for the trip home.  It was $322 for Rome to Boston which must be discounted