Any recent hash brown sightings?

Seas2mountains

7 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but those hash browns are like grease sponges.

Yummy

After the pandemic restart, hash browns were hit and miss due to supply chain challenges. I remember one cruise where there were no hash browns and limited fresh potatoes for home potatoes (with peppers and such),,, so they were serving French fries at breakfast. Then they started running out of fries at breakfast and lunch. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, jlowe420 said:

I've never seen it on the menu, but both are available in the breakfast buffet.  I will say that the "cream" gravy tastes terrible, every time I have tried it was just flour taste, no flavor.  Not something I'd eat.

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS WRONG WITH NCL REMOVING HASH BROWNS?!?!?!?

That is literally insane.  There's cutting costs and then there is cutting costs.  I didn't much care for the ones that they had (too onion-y) but it's a staple like bacon.  They best have on point other breakfast potatoes.  I think this may be my last cruise for a little while until we're past the cost cutting to make up for covid is over.

When companies implement cost cutting in the way NCL has, they very rarely bring things back that were cut. The stuff cut, becomes the new normal and they expect, or hope customers to adjust then forget. The cuts are more about increasing profit stream percentages, rather than actually needing to cut. So sadly I wouldn't anticipate things cut ever bring reinstated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joydivision84 said:

When companies implement cost cutting in the way NCL has, they very rarely bring things back that were cut. The stuff cut, becomes the new normal and they expect, or hope customers to adjust then forget. The cuts are more about increasing profit stream percentages, rather than actually needing to cut. So sadly I wouldn't anticipate things cut ever bring reinstated.

I know its just sad to see such basic things taken away.  Now, if the chefs are out there short-order cooking hasbrowns then no biggie, save those costs by cutting out the premade frozen ones.  But just removing them all together is sad.  Home Fries or other breakfast potatoes are not quite as good IMO.

My fondest memory of my first cruise when i was 12 was going to the midnight breakfast buffet.

• Like 3

I remember Royal having different shapes of hash browns everyday in the buffet and we couldn't wait to see what they were each morning. Unfortunately, I was much older than 12 years old for this to be that exciting. My husband didn't care for the white gravy in the buffet either. 

• Haha 1

i may be odd, but I look forward to those hash brown tots or those little discs.  I don't eat potatoes at home, so for me, that's a treat.  Reminds me of being a little kid and having breakfast out ( which was not that often)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mojito85 said:

No hash browns on Bliss last week. Asked for them and the waiter was like "what?" like he never heard of hashbrowns before.

Yet, if you look on the hangtags for breakfast delivery, Hash Browns are still listed as a choice🤔

This is disappointing.  We avoid eating  potatoes when at home or at restaurants.  

The NCL breakfast hash browns were a treat.  The breakfast potatoes they serve don’t taste good enough to consume the calories and carbs. We usually request no potatoes when ordering breakfast in the dining room but sometimes they add them to the plate despite us saying we won’t eat them. 

Oh well, I guess my body will thank me later. 

I wish they got rid of the breakfast potatoes and brought back the hash browns.  Maybe if we add that to our end of cruise reviews??

A few of those live reviews reporting the lack of hash browns were probably mine. On Prima in September I had them one day, and then that was it - gone. Every morning I asked, and every morning the butler left me a note saying "nope, not today". 

My #1 beloved breakfast item, so if it is gone I will be a sad sad sailor.

• Like 2

Does someone have a picture of the infamous hash browns? I can't recall what they look like on NCL.

If they're similar to the deep fried McDonald's hash browns...or even Tater Tots...(and I know I'm in the minority here, but...) I always find those things to be soaked in grease and just not very appealing.

On the other hand, if the glorious hash browns that everyone raves about are real authentic hash browns...cooked on a griddle like you find in a good diner or breakfast place,,,now you're talking.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Does someone have a picture of the infamous hash browns? I can't recall what they look like on NCL.

Here, these should help refresh memories - May 3th on the Epic - nowhere in sights on our Escape in September.  

PXL_20230503_072253884.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Seas2mountains said:

I found pics from our May/June 2023 cruise on the Escape. 

IMG_4430.jpeg

IMG_4429.jpeg

Very nice!!!  I can't WAIT to be back on a ship in a few weeks to find out in person.  IIRC, on the Bliss in April they could be found in exactly one location in that huge buffet.  They used to be all over the place.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

If they're similar to the deep fried McDonald's hash browns...or even Tater Tots...(and I know I'm in the minority here, but...) I always find those things to be soaked in grease and just not very appealing.

On the other hand, if the glorious hash browns that everyone raves about are real authentic hash browns...cooked on a griddle like you find in a good diner or breakfast place,,,now you're talking.

What you're looking for are the 'country potatoes'. Those are the small potato squares usually cooked with some onions and peppers. They're ok as an alternative, but I love me my hash browns, the crispier the better.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

What you're looking for are the 'country potatoes'. Those are the small potato squares usually cooked with some onions and peppers. They're ok as an alternative, but I love me my hash browns, the crispier the better.

Nope. Not the country potatoes at all. (But I actually don't mind those, on occasion).

The hash browns I'm talking about are actual hash browns...shredded potatoes compressed into a big irregular shaped thing...similar to a big oddly shaped pancake. Cooked on a griddle (like they do in diners) and are done to a crispy golden brown outer crust. Not the perfectly pre-formed round grease sponges on NCL that get deep fried like at McDonald's.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 3

Thank you for bringing this up because it was a miss for me 2 weeks ago in the Epic.  No hashbrowns in the MDR, O'Sheehan's, or Outdoor Grill.  I cannot speak to the buffet as I never stepped foot in on the entire cruise.  I really like hashbrowns, home potatoes or fries or whatever they're are called, are NOT the same.  I disliked these so much I asked that they don't bring them with my breakfast.

I know it's trivial but I'm a morning person and breakfast is a big deal for me.  No hashbrowns is like a half breakfast.  Please bring them back NCL 🥺

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2023 at 11:33 AM, Sailing12Away said:

Ahh, so the shredded potato latke things. Potatoes are awesome, so many forms and each one tastier than the next. I'm hungry now....

Hey, let's not insult the delightful latkes of the world.

So not comparable to a hash brown.

Nothing wrong with crispy, tasty hash browns - just different texture.