Points Consulting/Booking Services

Dobby36

Hi there, 

consider myself a fan and comfortable user of CC and air miles/points, have successfully redeemed numerous trips for myself. But wondering if anyone has had experience with any of the online services for points and miles consulting or even having them book award travel on your behalf? 

The prices for this service seem wide ranging, but I’m intrigued as I have a European cruise in late 2024 that I need to get two people to, from the US west coast-preferably in business class.  We both have 6-figure balances in points/miles in numerous  CC and airline programs, but even looking at ExpertFlyer, the task seems daunting to me for finding availability.  Flights will go on sale in Dec23 for this itinerary (bay area or SoCal->ATH, return from FCO->SoCal)

any experience or suggestions? So many of the “reviews” or “articles” on these services online seem like sponsored content….

Just now, CruiserBruce said:

If you are asking about a travel agency of any type, we can't name or discuss those.

I’m aware of the prohibition on travel agents.  I was thinking of the folks who look at people’s airline miles and credit card points and then tell them how to build a trip by redeeming them. I suppose that could be considered a “travel agency” but not in the traditional sense of a travel agent. 

I used to have a travel consulting service through which I did this sort of thing for clients.  I quit when some airlines went to dynamic pricing, making the practice a lot more difficult.

I can't speak to any of the current consultants but I'd personally probably just do it myself.  

What cards or airlines are on the "possible" list?  One thing to watch out for are "user fees" and surcharges added to the miles required.  These can reduce the value of the miles hugely.

• Like 1

The accounts we have miles with are:

Delta

Alaska

AA

Flying Blue

virgin
plus,

Amex

Capital One

all of the above have 100k+ each, but none have over 500k, which I feel like is making it tricky.  The easy “off the rack” options don’t seem to present themselves.  

Start off with knowing your SkyPesos are pretty worthless.  Probably your best use for them is for a positioning flight to another award ticket.

AS has a few sweet spots, but most of your awards with them to/from Europe will be with BA and their huge fees.  Look for awards with Iberia rather than BA.  Same with AA.  Sometimes Finnair comes up, but their award prices are higher (but with lower fees.  Crunch your own values)

Flying Blue is a decent option.  Know that you can fly for 75% of the miles needed, paying cash for the balance.  But award pricing is all over the map - prepare to try all their AF/KL gateways and then use DL miles to get to that city.  (My most recent FB award was from MSP - which is not where I am, but I could use DL SkyPesos to get there)

Virgin best use would be for a VS award on DL flights.  But those are rare.

Amex and CapOne - look at ALL of their transfer partners.  Make a list and try them all.  Plan on transferring quickly if you find availability.  Turkish often has low award pricing for connecting itineraries that "backtrack" to Europe.

Finally - consider flying separately.  Different routings and/or dates.  Finding two one-seat awards is often easier than finding two together.  And works better when you have limited points in multiple accounts - you can take from two rather than hoping to find two seats with one set of points.

Edited by FlyerTalker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

www.FlyerTalk.com has a section on these services.

Just read the reviews carefully, and select one where there are several positive reviews based upon really getting tickets.

We have someone we found there, but it turns out he isn't currently taking new clients, or we'd recommend him specifically.

There are other active FT members who seem to do this, and I'd probably choose one of them if we need a replacement.

GC

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

There are other active FT members who seem to do this, and I'd probably choose one of them if we need a replacement.

I do this, but not as an ongoing business.  Just for friends, and my fee is that they owe me dinner and drinks sometime.  (And some pay off onboard an all-inclusive ship  😀)

But I'll pass along tips here in this forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are also a couple of (very annoying) technical issues in using American or Alaska miles.  

In the case of using American miles, most itineraries to what I'll call "secondary" destinations (no offense intended) like Rome or Athens will include a transfer to British Airways at London, since AA has very limited, if any, nonstop service to those cities from the US.  By including a segment on BA (e.g. LHR-ATH) AA will add BA's awful surcharges and fees (not taxes - those are already added) to the cash needed on top of the miles.  These can be outrageous and can reduce the value of your miles by as much as half.  You may very well be much better off looking for mileage seats to some non-UK destination for a round trip, then buying the connecting legs separately with money.  My hunch is that you'd probably have less out-of-pocket costs doing so.  Look at Madrid, Paris, Helsinki, Dublin or Rome, all of which have nonstop flights from someplace in the USA.  From SAN you'd have to change planes en route, probably in Dallas, Charlotte or Philly, but you might still be $$ ahead.

There's a different (or I should say additional) problem with Alaska miles.  Unlike American, Alaska does not allow combining multiple partners in one itinerary, so, e.g., flying on American to London, then BA to Athens, isn't allowed.  You'd have to fly BA all the way, for which the fees would probably be in the $1000 range in each direction on top of the 65,000 miles.  That's ridiculous for a ticket that you could probably purchase outright for $2500 or so round trip.  So again, consider looking for an intermediate point in Europe that you can reach using AA.  For example, using AS miles, a one-way business class ticket to Madrid the week after Thanksgiving (this year) would require 57.5K AS miles plus $19 in fees, with a routing of SAN-xMIA-MAD versus over $1000 in fees if routed through London.    A one-way ticket from Madrid to Rome the next day would cost $69 in economy and $202 in business.  

Not trying to put you off, but maybe some things to consider.  

Edited by Gardyloo
  • Thanks 1

@Gardyloo this is great info.  I’ve booked “simple” awards using AS, and been very happy on SQ and JAL, but ran into the taxes and limits you described above as I began to do my homework for this trip. I hadn’t considered another EU gateway, but that makes a lot of sense. Even if I expanded my search to SFO/LAX/etc, many routings still had me arriving at Athens in the middle of the night unless I had a huge layover -so might as well actually take a night and continue in the AM.  I do understand the risks in non-connected journeys but a refundable fare for the inter-EU portion should alleviate some of those concerns…thanks again!

17 minutes ago, Gardyloo said:

Use your Sky Pesos or Flying Blue miles/points for the intra-Europe segments; there's usually good availability on KLM or Air France and okay redemption rates.  

Same with AS miles within Europe.  Very reasonable redemption rates.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 5:37 PM, Dobby36 said:

Delta

Alaska

AA

Flying Blue

virgin
plus,

Amex

Capital One

all of the above have 100k+ each, but none have over 500k, which I feel like is making it tricky.  The easy “off the rack” options don’t seem to present themselves.  

Most of us passport point brah's use www.points.me which usually has a free trial.  Once the trial is up we pay $5 for the 24-hour pass and just park ourselves by the computer all day and research.  Pretty good article explaining things: https://milestomemories.com/point-me-review-flight-award/

image.thumb.png.71e17fc4b102fc515fcd1f690b37d225.png

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2023 at 8:37 PM, Dobby36 said:

Delta

Alaska

AA

Flying Blue

virgin
plus,

Amex

Capital One

For the future, you might want to concentrate your accumulating, especially if you are getting many of the points by spending, in which case you can just use fewer cards.

We have been accumulating points with AA and Amex for quite some time.  And that includes some serious sign-up bonuses, which really move things along.  And with two of us, we can more easily get "more" new cards, as what one of us gets doesn't affect the other.

With the Amex airline partner network and the AA airline partner network, we get access to almost all of the airlines we'd want to use.  THIS is where the "awards consultant" has been a real asset.  We've occasionally ended up with a nice airline and routing that might not have thought of.

Note:  Chase seems to be the only card (?) that allows spouses (or other pairs?) to combine points.  That means the total can climb faster on a single account, in case that helps.  Chase points can be used with a variety of partners.  We just started accounts with them when I noticed a 100k point sign-up *plus* 20k points to refer someone.  That "someone" was DH, and he then got another 80k points (he missed the 100k offer).

Note also that one can purchase points.  This is especially helpful if one is falling just a bit short.  However, if one flies premium international long-haul (business or first), it's possible to get good value by buying more of the points.  We haven't had to do this, but we've kept it in the back of our minds.  About the time we were planning a bunch of trips/flights, well, Covid reared its ugly head. So instead, we've accumulated more and not spent any traveling again yet.

We wait until we have a large-ish purchase coming up (e.g., tuition or home repair) and then each apply for a new card because we'll easily have enough spending within the required time period.

GC

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

For the future, you might want to concentrate your accumulating, especially if you are getting many of the points by spending, in which case you can just use fewer cards.

We have been accumulating points with AA and Amex for quite some time.  And that includes some serious sign-up bonuses, which really move things along.  And with two of us, we can more easily get "more" new cards, as what one of us gets doesn't affect the other.

With the Amex airline partner network and the AA airline partner network, we get access to almost all of the airlines we'd want to use.  THIS is where the "awards consultant" has been a real asset.  We've occasionally ended up with a nice airline and routing that might not have thought of.

Note:  Chase seems to be the only card (?) that allows spouses (or other pairs?) to combine points.  That means the total can climb faster on a single account, in case that helps.  Chase points can be used with a variety of partners.  We just started accounts with them when I noticed a 100k point sign-up *plus* 20k points to refer someone.  That "someone" was DH, and he then got another 80k points (he missed the 100k offer).

Note also that one can purchase points.  This is especially helpful if one is falling just a bit short.  However, if one flies premium international long-haul (business or first), it's possible to get good value by buying more of the points.  We haven't had to do this, but we've kept it in the back of our minds.  About the time we were planning a bunch of trips/flights, well, Covid reared its ugly head. So instead, we've accumulated more and not spent any traveling again yet.

We wait until we have a large-ish purchase coming up (e.g., tuition or home repair) and then each apply for a new card because we'll easily have enough spending within the required time period.

GC

I totally understand some are too busy to bother with the points game or simply have no desire to learn it.  The $5 24 hour pass on points.me does exactly the same thing as a consultant.  In general, wouldn't convert MR/Amex or UR/Chase points to say United and then book a United ticket.  You would transfer your MR/UR points to a partner like Air Canada miles and then book the United flight on Air Canada.  The other part is knowing when airlines release their business/1st "saver" award space.  As I'm sure everyone knows, and dreads, flexibility is the key.  If you need a pre-cruise flight, you're probably not going to find a favorable reception.  Therefore in many cases with a cruise that has fixed dates, the best use of UR/Chase points would be to covert them to Hyatt points

I already feel like this is going to be information overload for most reading this, perhaps this simplifies it:

1)  Check weekly for credit card points transferring to an airline with a bonus; totally fine if there aren't

2)  If you need a hotel, check out Hyatt to have a baseline redemption

3)  Go to points.me, pay the $5 24 pass and start hunting; the tool is very useful with calendars

4)  If you find a flight with a favorable redemption, call the airline and request they put it on a courtesy hold.  This is because your award space could be grabbed by another before your points transfer

5)  Transfer your credit card points to airline points/miles

6)  Once the points appear in your account, call the airline again to apply the points to the flight that's on hold

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

Note:  Chase seems to be the only card (?) that allows spouses (or other pairs?) to combine points. we'll easily have enough spending within the required time period.

X

GC

Thanks for all of this.  I’m doing most of it already, and yes the random points in different accounts are the result of sign up bonuses.  My main earning is Amex platinum and Alaska visa (plus I fly AS the most based on their network meeting my travel needs most frequently domestically)

one point to add : capital one does allow you to transfer points for free between users, you have to call which is cumbersome, but it’s simple and instant once you call.  My partner and I have done this when i referred for a bonus, etc.  

I got burned pretty bad using an award service several times as my cruises and trips got canceled because of COVID. The fees I paid to book were nonrefundable, and then I had miles parked that lost value as it took years before I could use them . The agent had booked me an ANA round the world ticket, which I had to cancel, and then when I went to book it again, the price went from $300 to $1800. Considering I had given him slot of business, I felt that was outrageous. He flat out told me I would not be able to book the ticket myself. I said you are wrong, and did it. I won't use a service again. The one time, it was great. Another time, it was horrific, and I had to book my own flights anyway and I ended up not paying them. If you use a service, read a number of reviews, and don't go with the best known service.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sambamama said:

I got burned pretty bad using an award service several times as my cruises and trips got canceled because of COVID. The fees I paid to book were nonrefundable

So the trip was cancelled, yet you wanted the agent to refund his fees - even though the cancellations were in no way his fault.  IMO, he did his work and got paid.  As he should.

then I had miles parked that lost value as it took years before I could use them .

That would have been the same, with or without an agent.  Irrelevant.

when I went to book it again, the price went from $300 to $1800. Considering I had given him slot of business, I felt that was outrageous.

I remember when I could get a hamburger at McDonald's for twenty cents.  Prices change. His cost of doing business probably increased.  And did you think that you would get a special price as a past customer?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Most of us passport point brah's use www.points.me which usually has a free trial.  Once the trial is up we pay $5 for the 24-hour pass and just park ourselves by the computer all day and research.  Pretty good article explaining things: https://milestomemories.com/point-me-review-flight-award/

image.thumb.png.71e17fc4b102fc515fcd1f690b37d225.png

Does points.me include information on the additional taxes and fees that are required over and above the miles/points "price?"  That can make all the difference in a go/no-go decision.  

16 minutes ago, Gardyloo said:

Does points.me include information on the additional taxes and fees that are required over and above the miles/points "price?"  That can make all the difference in a go/no-go decision.  

Yes.  If you look at the (smallish) screenshot on post #14 they're listed under the miles requirement.    They always have a free trial so I'd recommend just trying it

On 11/2/2023 at 5:37 PM, Dobby36 said:

Delta

Alaska

AA

Flying Blue

virgin
plus,

Amex

Capital One

I try to have a small number of programs I participate in.   That reduces the number of islands points end up in.   

In my case.  

I collect the Star Alliance points into Air Canada Aeroplan.

I collect Skyteam and WestJet points in the Delta program.

I collect OneWorld points into Alaska Airlines program.   

The other non-aligned airlines are usually associated with one of those three in some way.   

As a footnote, I have not compared the point programs from different airlines and my picks may or may not be the best options.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Flyertalker, You are reading assumptions into what was said. I never said I asked for his money back. You assumed that on your one. I never said that AT ALL! You shouldn't do that. I never considered asking him, nor would I have, asking him to refund fees for work that was done. What happened was miles got parked in airlines that eroded drastically in value during Covid. That wasn't his fault. But when I had been a long term customer, paying for several trips that got canceled, and then the trip I wanted to book went up 600% or more in his consulting fees, I don't think it was unfair to ask for some price consideration. He refused as he had a right to. Do I think he should have done that? I didn't expect him to do it at the same price, but I thought it fair to meet in the middle.  No, I think it was bad customer service. But then he told me there was no way I would be able to do the booking without him, as I was totally incapable of managing it. That was uncalled for. And no one's cost of business increases 600% in a couple of years. And when you are in a service business,  sometimes you do give price consideration. That is not abnormal. I work in a service business, and I will give discounts, or agree to a payment plan. As to your example, it would be like a big Mac that costs $4 going to $24.

On 11/4/2023 at 2:07 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

5)  Transfer your credit card points to airline points/miles

I see a few references to this; could you possibly give me a quick overview of what exactly this means? I've never heard of it!