Help deciding between Vista and Magic

Luckysll

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Out of curiosity (because we're on Vista soon enough): How is Vista's Alchemy Bar better in your opinion?  I quite like the Alchemy on Breeze/Magic.  Although I feel Sunshine's and Liberty's are the best location and positioning-wise.

Totally agree about Alchemy on Sunshine (we sailed the Liberty years ago, well before she got an Alchemy bar, same with the Breeze). If I recall, Sunshine may have been first ship to get an Alchemy bar. We sailed the Sunshine TA and spent LOTS of time at Alchemy!

As for Magic, we sailed on Magic in November 2021. Probably what we were most disappointed in were the bartenders. They simply were not good, could not make drinks the way we prefer and have had them made at other Alchemy bars. We had to show them how to make a "very dry" martini. Same with the bartender at the Steakhouse bar! But we also were not fond of the location of the Alchemy bar on Magic...I'd guess same location on Breeze. Sort of wedged between the Red Frog Pub bar and Ocean plaza. Was way to busy and noisy for us. Alchemy seemed more like another party bar rather than the toned down more "intimate" and interactive bar we enjoyed on other ships, which includes Vista. We felt it's location on Vista lent the Alchemy bar to be the more interactive experience we prefer.

Just to add, We recently sailed on the Celebration and Mardi Gras....While we did visit the Alchemy bar often on both those ships, we were disappointed with the location of Alchemy on those ships as well. Way way way to noisy and busy. While we found  the bartenders to be of the same expertise as others, the open area where Alchemy is located jammed next to the LimeLight lounge and next to an "major walkway" that led to the Steakhouse and Aft dining room. Plus overly loud music from the bars one deck below. We actually enjoyed the Golden Jubilee and Brass Magnolia bars on those ships more.

Sorry for the long winded rant!!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, bar1068 said:

As for Magic, we sailed on Magic in November 2021. Probably what we were most disappointed in were the bartenders. They simply were not good, could not make drinks the way we prefer and have had them made at other Alchemy bars.

OK, that's understandable - the Alchemy bartenders are half the experience!

54 minutes ago, bar1068 said:

Just to add, We recently sailed on the Celebration and Mardi Gras....While we did visit the Alchemy bar often on both those ships, we were disappointed with the location of Alchemy on those ships as well. Way way way to noisy and busy. While we found  the bartenders to be of the same expertise as others, the open area where Alchemy is located jammed next to the LimeLight lounge and next to an "major walkway" that led to the Steakhouse and Aft dining room. Plus overly loud music from the bars one deck below. We actually enjoyed the Golden Jubilee and Brass Magnolia bars on those ships more.

Indeed, we found the exact same thing (on Mardi Gras - not been on Celebration, but same floor plan).  We hung out at Brass Magnolia most nights, just once or twice at Alchemy IIRC.

Sooo - we cruised on Horizon - sister ship to Vista.  Just my opinion - but unless you are in Havana area on Vista I would go on Magic.  We much preferred Magic - will be on her again in January.   For some reason Lido on Vista felt way more crowded than other ships we have been on.  On Magic we spent a lot of time on the lounge chairs on deck 5 - was nice and quiet there.  And as others said - we would much rather leave out of Miami than PC.  

On 11/15/2023 at 3:00 PM, bar1068 said:

Totally agree about Alchemy on Sunshine (we sailed the Liberty years ago, well before she got an Alchemy bar, same with the Breeze). If I recall, Sunshine may have been first ship to get an Alchemy bar. We sailed the Sunshine TA and spent LOTS of time at Alchemy!

As for Magic, we sailed on Magic in November 2021. Probably what we were most disappointed in were the bartenders. They simply were not good, could not make drinks the way we prefer and have had them made at other Alchemy bars. We had to show them how to make a "very dry" martini. Same with the bartender at the Steakhouse bar! But we also were not fond of the location of the Alchemy bar on Magic...I'd guess same location on Breeze. Sort of wedged between the Red Frog Pub bar and Ocean plaza. Was way to busy and noisy for us. Alchemy seemed more like another party bar rather than the toned down more "intimate" and interactive bar we enjoyed on other ships, which includes Vista. We felt it's location on Vista lent the Alchemy bar to be the more interactive experience we prefer.

Sorry for the long winded rant!!

Agree on all points! ABDS

On 11/2/2023 at 7:59 PM, Luckysll said:

I haven’t done a Caribbean cruise for several years, mainly been doing Alaska and Mexican Riviera.  I’m looking at doing a b2b (6 day/8 day) in January 2025 or 2026.  I’m trying to decide between Vista from Port Canaveral and Magic from Miami.  Both itineraries are the same, prices pretty close.  Vista is a bit more, but not enough to really be the deciding factor.  I usually go with an ocean view cabin.

For those who have sailed both ships, what are your thoughts?  Thanks.

I haven't read the other replies here, so I apologize for repeating any facts that others have mentioned.

I'm recently off the Magic.  I thought it was a good ship with good crew that took good care of me.  It also had a lot of public places to sit and rest or whatever.  

20231116_100818.thumb.jpg.810ab39e690682128d57072867382542.jpg

For some reason, I liked the Magic better than her sister ship the Breeze.

I haven't been on the Vista, but I have been on her sister the Horizon.  That one is currently my favorite ship in the Carnival fleet.

I don't like PC much and prefer to avoid it as much as possible.

If it were my $$$ and my choice, I'd choose the Magic.

Edited by Honolulu Blue

We were on the Magic in August and the Vista last year. We liked the Vista better. The Magic was getting a bit worn. The service in the MDR was much better on the Vista than the Magic. We like the layout of the Vista better, felt there was more room in the public spaces than the Magic. The comedy club on the Magic was larger than the Vista. 

Can't comment on either port was we went out of Galveston for the Vista and Norfolk with the Magic.