Help deciding between Vista and Magic

Luckysll

I haven’t done a Caribbean cruise for several years, mainly been doing Alaska and Mexican Riviera.  I’m looking at doing a b2b (6 day/8 day) in January 2025 or 2026.  I’m trying to decide between Vista from Port Canaveral and Magic from Miami.  Both itineraries are the same, prices pretty close.  Vista is a bit more, but not enough to really be the deciding factor.  I usually go with an ocean view cabin.

For those who have sailed both ships, what are your thoughts?  Thanks.

We are doing b2b on Magic January 2025.  Especially love the 5th deck, with 4 hot tubs, pig & anchor and ocean plaza.  When Lido is busy we sometimes hang out there.  That might be the deciding factor for us over Horizon/Vista which we have been on each.  Horizon/Vista have gelato with toppings on Lido every day.  Probably more similarities between these classes than differences.  Decisions, decisions...

Edited by nycruise1

Not sure if it is within your budgetary reach, but the Havana cabins (and the semi-private Havana area) on Vista are supposedly well worth it.

I've never been on Vista, but we're sailing on her "soon enough", and then I'll have a this vs that opinion - though I think there really isn't that much difference, from what I gather, beyond the plusses of the Havana area.

11 hours ago, nycruise1 said:

We are doing b2b on Magic January 2025.  Especially love the 5th deck, with 4 hot tubs, pig & anchor and ocean plaza.  When Lido is busy we sometimes hang out there.  That might be the deciding factor for us over Horizon/Vista which we have been on each. 

Other than the hot tubs, doesn't Vista have essentially the same features in a slightly different layout, though?  I guess I'll find out "soon enough".

I would prefer to sail out of Miami any day! I don't enjoy the hour plus drive from Orlando airport to the Port Canaveral area. And Cocoa Beach/Port Canaveral doesn't offer as much in the way of things to do/see in my opinion. 

With Miami, you have the option of flying into either Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. From where I live, there are direct flights to FLL and it always seems to be cheaper than when I check airfare to Miami or Orlando. Lots of fun areas to stay at in Miami pre-cruise - Bayside, Brickell, South Beach/Miami Beach/Hollywood Ft Lauderdale area. Lots to see/do. 

I can't speak on the Magic as I've never sailed her. But we enjoyed the Vista very much! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, MistyRo76 said:

I would prefer to sail out of Miami any day! I don't enjoy the hour plus drive from Orlando airport to the Port Canaveral area. And Cocoa Beach/Port Canaveral doesn't offer as much in the way of things to do/see in my opinion. 

If I wasn't a 35 min drive from Port Canaveral, I'd completely understand wanting to fly into Miami vs Orlando/Canaveral.

17 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

If I wasn't a 35 min drive from Port Canaveral, I'd completely understand wanting to fly into Miami vs Orlando/Canaveral.

haha...yeah, being that close to a port makes a difference. Don't blame ya there! Closest port to me is probably Charleston which we just cruised from last month and it was a 9-10 hour drive. So other than that one, we always fly! I'll do Canaveral for a certain ship or itinerary...but all things being equal, I'll chose Miami! 

Assuming you are flying, I find flying in and traveling to the port of Miami is easier than Port Canaveral - so that would get my choice just for that reason.

Flying in to Orlando and sitting on a bus for an hour is a drag, versus the ease of a ~15-25 minute taxi or Uber ride from MIA to Dodge Island.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

Assuming you are flying, I find flying in and traveling to the port of Miami is easier than Port Canaveral - so that would get my choice just for that reason.

Flying in to Orlando and sitting on a bus for an hour is a drag, versus the ease of a ~15-25 minute taxi or Uber ride from MIA to Dodge Island.

Agreed. We always fly to Florida and prefer Miami over Canaveral. 2 airports v. one. Uber to port, not shuttle.

Magic is more open to the ocean. I liked to walk along deck 5 and see out.

Vista has the smaller theater. Smaller comedy clubs so lines. Closed up deck 5. But newer and more pay restaurants. 

My friend got off dream yesterday and said its looking a bit worn, sister to magic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Vista has the smaller theater. Smaller comedy clubs so lines. Closed up deck 5. But newer and more pay restaurants. 

My friend got off dream yesterday and said its looking a bit worn, sister to magic.

I was on Magic over Labor Day, she's a little worn too. Nothing severe but lots of stained/worn carpet, chairs, etc. They were working on replacing carpets on port days, I saw rolls of carpet in the elevator lobbies on port days.

Unless you're staying in the Havana area, or really want to ride the bicycle in the sky, I would say Magic. Very similar, but Dream class ships (i.e., Magic) seem to offer most things that the Vista class ships do, with less people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/7/2023 at 3:46 PM, thenexus2k said:

If the ships are close and the port doesn't matter, could always let flights be the tiebreaker. Map out flights to the 2 airports in orlando (MCO and SFB) and the 2 in Miami (MIA and FLL) and what the price/times/stops are like. 

Port Canaveral is about a 45 minute to hour long bus ride from MCO.

Edited by mz-s

We did both and loved both, If I had to chose and could stay in the Havana area (again), it would be Vista!

We are going on the Horizon in 2 weeks!

Will definitely do the Magic again as was said, deck 5! We had a private hot tub all week!

On 11/5/2023 at 10:07 AM, firefly333 said:

I can vouch for the run-down appearance of the Dream. She needs some work. Furniture is worn, carpet in the cabin dirty and stained. Have sailed the Magic in 2012 when it was brand new, the Breeze 3 times, 2017 and 2021(2 times). Dream is the oldest of the three, and we sailed on it earlier this year. Definitely showing the wear and tear of 12 years of crowds. I love the Dream Class ships (deck 5 Ocean Plaza) but the Breeze and Magic are tied for 1st place on my list. Hoping that the Dream gets a cleanup before our 2025 Journeys cruise!

Edited by kew1031

3 hours ago, kew1031 said:

I can vouch for the run-down appearance of the Dream. She needs some work. Furniture is worn, carpet in the cabin dirty and stained. Have sailed the Magic in 2012 when it was brand new, the Breeze 3 times, 2017 and 2021(2 times). Dream is the oldest of the three, and we sailed on it earlier this year. Definitely showing the wear and tear of 12 years of crowds. I love the Dream Class ships (deck 5 Ocean Plaza) but the Breeze and Magic are tied for 1st place on my list. Hoping that the Dream gets a cleanup before our 2025 Journeys cruise!

Magic has a spot in my heart too.  From when it was new and john heald was aboard I think is why its special. I've done breeze b2b and vista since covid, but done them all pre covid. My friend had the 2 week eastern, I'm doing and 2 week Panama in January on dream. He just got back from dream. Hes done dream before so if he says its showing wear, its worse since the last time he was on. I know he did dream oct 2022 and then just this oct and said it's more run down. 

Just crossing my fingers, hoping my cabin is fine. 

2 hours ago, bar1068 said:

Vista....Better Alchemy bar

Out of curiosity (because we're on Vista soon enough): How is Vista's Alchemy Bar better in your opinion?  I quite like the Alchemy on Breeze/Magic.  Although I feel Sunshine's and Liberty's are the best location and positioning-wise.